Thursday, July 4, 2013

Big Enough

DSCF2740a

This isn’t really as epically big as I was hoping—it’s epically wide, about ten feet wide, which is, on the whole, perhaps unnecessarily wide—but it is Big Enough.  It turns out that one unraveled sweater’s worth of DK-weight wool isn’t really enough yarn to make anything epically big, but the idea of the giant half-blanket is still with me, and I will definitely be revisiting it. 

DSCF2745a

So this is just a regular-sized wrap, but that’s okay with me.  And, you know, at this point it was a free project, recycled as it was, which always makes me extra happy. 

DSCF2749a

Here’s my recipe for this thing, in case you’re interested:  Beginning at the center back point of the triangle and using the main color—my yarn is Kathmandu DK, and that color is some kind of desert sand-ish color, a tweedy warm beige—I cast on 2 stitches.  Then, working back and forth in stockinette stitch, I increased one stitch at both ends of every row using kfb, and just kept doing that, with the rows getting longer and longer, until the yarn had almost run out.  Then I worked a couple rows of garter stitch, in an attempt to ward off the inevitable curling at the top edge.  I bound off the top edge in the last of the sand-colored yarn, with just inches leftover.  The main triangle part was easy, and didn’t take any time at all, and I could do other things while I worked, which was probably why it went so quickly. 

DSCF2750a

Then, feeling overly optimistic about yarn quantities, and switching to garter stitch, I picked up stitches around the bottom edge with the lighter of the two purples, packing them tightly along a ridiculously patched-together length of Denise interchangeable circular needle.  On the second row, I doubled the stitches by kfb every stitch.  Holy carpal tunnel.  It was about 700 stitches, point to point, and I increased by two stitches in every row at the center point only, which, looking at the above photo, seems like too much.  Next time, I’d only increase every other row, which should keep it from jutting out like a bad miter.  I didn’t work any increases at the side points on the ruffle edge.

DSCF2755a

The bind off took an hour, and I ran out of yarn less than halfway across it.  (Why did I think one little ball would make a big ruffle?  This isn’t my first rodeo!) I scavenged some scraps of worsted wool in kind of a grape color, and finished the bind off—you can see it, but as it kind of continues the ombre gradient thing already happening in the ruffle, it isn’t bugging me. 

DSCF2753a

I’m glad to have this finished, since it appears to be monsoon season here in New York.  Will it ever stop raining?  I’m about to start sprouting moss.

DSCF2764a

All the rain is making the garden so lush.  It feels tropical and soggy, but the vegetables are huge.

DSCF2767a

The doctor picked a salad for lunch.  I love summer. 

14 comments:

  1. Oooh I love ruffled edged shawls! The colors are soft and pretty, and it looks very snuggly. Lovely finish Kristen!
    It's so hot here, I don't think I will even look at any wool until October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. I love the colors and the way it drapes. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just love to knit, knit, knit don't you! I think it looks like a really great 'cozy thing'to wear and look gorgeous in. Jo x I like free projects too see here

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/denim-bag-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may not be as big as you first expected Kristen, but plenty big enough anyway, and so natural and lovely! Well done, and what a saving!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out great! never mind it is not that epic :) It looks pretty and cozy.
    I see that you have perfect weather for veggies and other plants, all is so green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks great and I absolutely love the idea of recycling, reusing, reclaiming....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job on that shawl - both the design and the knitting. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the final results though I totally get the its not what I had in mind bit.... STILL its so lovely and has such a soft drape that perfectly compliments the soft colors....... Personally I like the flouncy ruffle..... Yesterday I too began frogging and reclaiming a long ago made object that did not play out the way it was intended... Still bit more unraveling to do before remaking this piece for my sister in law.....
    Have a perfectly lovely day Kristen xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that it is recycled yarn! I haven't ventured in that direction yet but soon... I can feel a recycling mood descending upon me! :D
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just so beautiful, you can see it was created with love and joy❤

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely natural colour and simply looking shawl!
    I just made my own...you can see it here
    http://alise-jautrieburti.blogspot.com/2013/07/mazs-zils-lakatins.html

    very cosy thing!

    ReplyDelete