Monday, July 15, 2013

Copious Knitting

DSCF2777a
Striking a swap deal with my BFF, who is a Woman With A Mission, I have agreed to make a LOT of hats.  So naturally, what I did was knit until my thumbs ached, and stay up until the birds were almost singing, choosing yarns from the cupboard and arranging them in piles, and going generally whacko imagining the endless fun possibilities.  The girl snuck past me to the kitchen for a midnight snack and raised a sardonic eyebrow at the sight of me in my nightie, pawing through bags of yarn by candlelight, saying, “Huh.  Well, have fun with your insomniac crafts.”  Which I did do, and have been doing ever since—having fun, I mean.  How lovely it is to have a big project.  I am always searching for one, always, and finding one with no trouble, and then finishing it in two weeks or something, which is not really what constitutes a big project, and I’m really hoping not to do that this time.  Though I’ve made a bunch of hats so far, a real big bunch. 

Also in big projects, the Amazing Seed Stitch Wrap, adapted to laceweight, is making its languorous and gradual progress on my needles.
DSCF2676a
This is the palette.  I might add a dove gray, just because doesn’t dove gray go in everything?  The rose pink at the upper right is about halfway gone now.  There will be oodles of knitting in this, just the ongoing and endless same-ness of seed stitch, across 189 stitches, until it is 78” long.  Oh, happy day!   The seed stitch slows me down considerably, and the knitted rows accumulate at a barely noticeable rate, but—I keep telling myself this—that is how I want it.  It is there in a basket beside my chair for times when all four of us are noisily gathered, and the boy plays his guitar or somebody mentions Art Garfunkel, which spurs somebody else to scrounge up our thrift store LP of Simon and Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits and put it on the record player, which makes everybody sing along to The Boxer, and there isn’t any row counting or paying attention required at all.  It is family knitting.  When they say, “Oh, Mom, listen to this,” I can look up, rest my hands for a minute, and listen.

23 comments:

  1. Love your colour palette and a family Simon and Garfunkel sing a long sounds a fantastic idea!
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do with some 'no need to pay too much attention to my knitting' moments right now.........perhaps I'll join you.........beautiful colours for a lovely wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got the Best of S and G on a disc in my car: always part of any road trip playlist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand completely about big projects. And I finish them fast too, typically. I love the colors you've chosen, the wrap is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have copious amounts of knitting going on as well. But I never seem to finish anything ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to take an easy look-up-from project to our knit and natter group for the same reason, I simply can't follow a pattern in the pub! Nice palette Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Copious Knitting is awesome. And great, I'm going to have to join you (eventually) and cast on for that seed stitch wrap. Miles and miles of knitting to come. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so miss my boy playing his guitar around here. I can sing every word of The Boxer....shall I start...'I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told'.....join in whenever you like! Off to have a look at that pattern - I need a marathon project like a hole-in-the-head but it's worth a look anyway! Have a great week. It's HOT here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest, lalalalala..." Such a good song. Even the bit about the whores on 7th Avenue.

      Delete
  9. I love this post Kristen, crafting by candle light and singing along to The Boxer whilst continuing with your family knitting! Sounds just perfect if you ask me xox Penny
    ps. loving all your colours for your seed stitch wrap, gentle and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost choked when I saw the price for the collection of offered yarns... LOL! I think I will have to be a little more creative and pick my own yarns and colors! :D Hmmm, laceweight...that is an interesting challenge, like K1,P1 isn't enough of a challenge :D
    I'm so glad I popped by and found out about this pretty wrap... I do love the way seed stitch looks!
    Hugs and happy knitting,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your yarn selection is fantastic and your desire for seed stitch is too. I made a Noro jacket out of seed stitch and almost shot my head off,seed stitch is sooooooo slow for me. I barely made any progress after hours and hours of stitching. I finally cheated and made the hood out of good old stockinette and I have to say I needed to save some yarn, seed stitch is a yarn suck. But I have faith in you my friend, you will get it done by the end of this week.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Copious knitting going on around my place as well. Rather brave, as I don't have air conditioning.

    I do have a great fan and cross ventilation and lots of hydration available from the faucet.

    Isn't it funny to be knitting in July? Purl's a great shop ( around the corner from where I work) and its website is beautifully designed. The folks who work at Purl are lovely, friendly and informed. (They helped me select a sewing machine last year.)

    I do agree with a prior comment though, that some of those Purl yarns are quite luxe. Still...it's fun to take an idea and adapt it. Ah,but you already knew that.

    Your palette is soft, with just enough punch. Well chosen.

    Knit, purl, knit, purl...by cooler weather's arrival you'll have a fine new wrap.

    Best wishes to upstate NY. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. socks are that always-there-don't-have-to-think project for me. i haven't been knitting at all lately, though. quilts, quilts, quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm envious with green eyes. Wish I could sit and knit for hours but my ten month old has other ideas usually involving tangling up my yarn. Babies and knitting don't go unless said baba is fast asleep hehe.

    Loving the colours.

    You knit such beautiful garments.

    Melanie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Melanie. I promise you--in a breathtakingly short few years, you will be sitting up of a Friday night waiting for the sound of a boy's car in the driveway, bringing her home. You'll get a lot of knitting done then. :)

      Delete
  15. I'm astounded by your prolific output, I knit like a snail, how DO you do it? Are you a knitbot?? Tee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I begin to think I am a little bit of a knitbot, yes! :)

      Delete
    2. Well I need some of what you have, I've got a squillion WIPs and the attention span of a goldfish :)

      Delete
  16. Im so excited. Cant wait to send you your painting! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi friend I love your blog always has nice things here, hugs ...

    http://www.titacarre.com
    http://vitrine.elo7.com.br/titacarre

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really must give knitting another go- I love the colours you've chosen. And yes, dove grey goes with everything!!
    Have a fab weekend,
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete