Sunday, July 7, 2013

Wraps and more wraps

DSCF2771a

Gosh, it’s hot. I don’t know why I’m so moved to make wraps right now.  No, that’s not quite true—I think it’s because they don’t have to fit anybody.  You know?  I think that’s the appeal.  It so deftly avoids that hideous moment where you put the finished thing on and then look at yourself and there’s that crushing, sinking feeling, and you think Ugh that did not work, and I am tired of that moment.  I am done dealing with that moment for the time being.  With a plain wrap, as long as the finished thing is at least vaguely triangular, I can consider it a success, put it on the pile tuck it carefully away against cooler weather, which will come soon enough, and turn immediately to the next plain and simple project. I have very basic yarn needs right now, but hoo boy, do I have them.   

You know this already, but yarn is such an effective antidote to the small, everyday aggravations of communal living—there are four boisterous adults banging around in the teeny Cozy Things cottage, along with a huge dog who sheds competitively—so unless I’m cleaning up after somebody, I am, at least currently, melting away in the shade with yarn in my lap. 

Now and then, I want to sew something, and I sorta wanted to sew something today:

DSCF2770a

Eventually, this is going to be a filmy cotton top, pattern from this book, and I made all the pattern pieces and cut it all out, from some lovely old fabric, but it’s on hold now because (scream!) my beloved Miss Kastner is on the blink.  Sob!  Her tensioning is askew, and I can’t seem to figure it out.  These poor, lovely sewing machines, they always break down on me.  I do blame myself.  Oh, the shame.  Crush, sink.  How I wish I knew more about her machinery and how it all works.  That’s something I really want to find time to learn.  Until then she patiently awaits the ministrations of the Doctor, who knows about these things. 

DSCF2735a

I guess that means more yarn.  This is going to be a huge (I really think so this time) multicolored wrap in lace weight yarn on US #4 needles.  It should take a really, really long time.  Goodness, that’s like a big deep breath to me.  Bring it on. 

12 comments:

  1. Love the wrap! What pattern is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having the bobbin threaded properly is always the culprit on my old machine. Keep knitting! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wrap is coming along very nicely and I love the colour of your yarn on the knitting needles!
    I know and empathise with you on the 'this doesn't fit' moment - it really puts one off, doesn't it! I find it happens with knitting and dress-making.
    I do hope your machine gets fixed while you still feel in sewing mode!
    Have a happy week!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your granny shawl is lookin' good! So satisfying isn't it? I have one that I wear over my pajamas in the winter. So I guess it's a kind of granny shawl/robe thingy. Too bad about your machine, hope it's a quick fix so you can get back to that pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wise decision!!! go on with wraps!!!! ;oD
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also into wrap/shawl making at the moment! Am currently doing a shawl with lace yarn...slow progress but I live in hope! Sorry Miss Kastner is feeling poorly....wish her a speedy recovery as I'm dying to see that top you've started! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen,Love your wrap!!!They are just so easy to wear, anywhere,anytime!!!
    Have a great week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're always so busy - I wish I could get even half as many projects done as you!!! And they're ALWAYS SO beautiful!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleaning up after everybody and an incessantly shedding dog. Whew....I sooooooo relate! My home will NEVER look like all the beauties in magazines...there are too many abusers here! And that sinking feeling when you know "that didn't work"....YES...we ALL relate to that too! I love wraps! I have more than one person can wear in a winter season...but I continue to make them! And I love them all! So much that I don't want to part with them unless I make a duplicate! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristen! I'm loving your granny shawl. It looks comfy already. I don't get along with my sewing machine at all. It's always a constant battle...in fact we hate each other. :( I know that bit of knitting you started is going to turn into something wonderful! xo Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your making me want to make one too! Right now I am making a scarf..but I do believe a wrap will be on the needles very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got some good help with my serger (was also having tension problems) and posted about the problem on craigslist. Got it solved very quickly, just make sure to post the model and everything about your machine and describe the problem in full detail. Either that or look for a good sewing machine forum to ask on :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete