Monday, August 26, 2013

Color Two

DSCF3341a

The Interminable, I mean, The Amazing Seed Stitch Wrap has reached a milestone:  the second color.  I thought this day would never come.  I can’t even think about the end of this insane project, because it is so far in the future as to be a teensy speck at the very distant and dark edge of the known universe.  I have knit 600 yards of seed stitch, in laceweight, and the thing has barely begun.  This light pink (Athena 100% Merino in color 202) is only the second color of, what, nine?  You want a project of such boring enormity that you will test the limits of your own ability to withstand ennui?  Friends, I am telling you, this is it.  I am enjoying knitting this on the same level one enjoys training for marathons or canning a hundred pounds of peaches.  That is, with a weird kind of peaceful and resigned happy suffering.  I panicked briefly when, upon joining the first row of the new pink to the last row of the old one (JaggerSpun Zephyr Silk/Wool) I noticed it was only about half as thick, was really about as thick as sewing thread for crying out loud, and as I considered banging my head on the table in despair, my dear friend Carolyn rescued me and suggested doubling up the new yarn.  Of course, it worked beautifully.  That’s not the first time she’s bailed me out, either.  Once, I broke the tip off one of my gorgeous vintage plastic straight needles, and before I could even finish my gasp of misery, she said, “Just put that in the pencil sharpener.”  I hope you all have a Carolyn, everybody needs one. 

DSCF3329a

I am still abundant with hats, too.  One of these days, I’m going to find a willing human with a head and photograph all these hats for you. That’ll be a long post, whoo. Watch for it. These hats are what I do while we laze around watching American Pickers.  Finally, finally, there is some lazing around.  The past four months have been so jam-packed with (wonderful, happy) things to do that it feels like I have not had two spare minutes until now, and I see the leaves are starting to turn already, there are apples at the farm stand, and where did the time go?  Whatever happened with the cicadas?  I didn’t see them, did I miss it?   What a weird summer. 

22 comments:

  1. I don't have a Carolyn, I could do with one. More so I wish I could be one. Nice knitting - keep going xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't have a Carolyn either, but I am glad that you do, keep her close and love her lots as she sounds like a great person to have around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im really a terrible knitter, so I love to see beautiful knitting x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazingly good marketing ploy by Purl Soho to get you to knit that wrap - if you use the recommended wool/yarn, it will almost certainly cost you the price of a small car!! You're tremendously brave taking on such a mammoth project but it will surely be heart-stoppingly beautiful when finished. Good Luck to you Ma'am on your quest!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to your hat post. What pattern do you use? I too am on a hat jag. I have knit numerous in the month of August. I must say, I think I have reached my limited. My thoughts have been on many other knits and they are not hats (or at least not practical and boring ones) but shawls, scarves and fingerless gloves. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly think you're that Energizer bunny in disguise. I can't believe how quickly you finish and move from one beautiful project to another! I bet this wrap will be finished and gorgeous in no time! :) .... I know, what happened to those cicadas??? All that hype and the bugs were a no show! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, from the looks of your very fine and even knitting, it seems that seed stitch is a sort of mini moss stitch. Whatever we call it, your knitting is lovely, and it's that even gauge that will make your project fabulous.

    Although I am always drawn by complicated designs and figuring out my own patterns, there is something rather good about a gentle, repetitive knitting. It can be a little like meditating. Yes, you do have to keep an eye out every so often to make sure you've not dropped or split a stitch, but there's something calming. Or so I think.

    I feel the same way about knitting ribbing at the start of part of a sweaterh pattern. One by one, or two by two. Relaxing.

    Your yarn choices for the seed stitch and the hat are lovely.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your seed stitch wrap is going to be stunning. You are very brave to attempt a project like this though - I can barely stand the agony of working ends in - never mind a knitting project of this magnitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen, that wrap is coming along beautifully even though you may not appreciate that you've made much progress yet - sometimes it's nice to have a little break with just a small project and then get back into the one that seems so slow!
    I have noticed many times with various yarn brands that the colours work out at different degrees of thickness - rather annoying!
    How lovely to have a sweet Carolyn in your life!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, i know exactly, what youre talking about! i begun a crochet shawl with a pinapple stitch in spring... thought that would be the perfect thing for summer. i am half way through but bored...
    it seems to have no ending!
    but your wrap is going to look awesome in the end!
    keep going!
    i love the colours and the pattern!
    pami

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do have a knack for picking those projects, the love/hate ones! But they always turn out well in the end. Laceweight? I wouldn't go near it!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen, I so wish I had a Carolyn!!!But I thank you and Carolyn for the tip on how to sharpen a broken knitting needle!!!Great tip!!!Have a great day!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  13. A soft, pink cloud! Keep on knitting, sistah.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seed stitch makes me want to shoot my head off, you are my knitting hero for doing such an involved project. I will be looking at patterns and if it is seed stitch immediately eliminate it, that is how much I love it!
    Hugs and good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leaves are starting to turn? The only reason why leaves are turning here is because it is soooo hot, they can't make it. Where are you?! I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I am in western New York State, and the air has a bit of a chill these days. :)

      Delete
  16. that wrap (kit) went on my wish list when i first saw it! enjoy the process, it will be done someday, and lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, everyone should have a Carolyn. I have a Jenn (works much the same). My mum used to re-end her vintage knitting needles with a pencil sharpener when I was a kid - it works a treat doesn't it? I'll keep my eyes open for the progress on the seed stitch number.
    All the best with it!
    Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, summer has passed by just like a storm ...too quickly and I am not ready for the rain to start, but I know it's coming. I know it seems like the shawl will never end (I have my share of projects like this one),but I believe it exists for us to build our patience and tolerance skills (as if we as Moms need to learn anymore, right?) ha, ha... enjoy the journey because I'm sure when you get to the "destination" it will be so worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just wanted to drop you a note and tell you that I love your writing. The knitting and crocheting, definitely, but not every knitter and crocheter can write. ;)

    Also, THE LEAVES ARE CHANGING? I live in south Texas now but used to live in Boston. It is still in the 90's every day here, and the leaves pretty nearly never change. Autumn is one of those things I will never get over losing, and you are making me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, yes! I know. I am a hot weather-lovin' gal, and the arrival of fall is bittersweet, but I know I'd miss the changing seasons if they didn't happen. :)

      Delete
  20. This has confirmed my initial wobble about doing a similar thing in seed stitch - I want the colours, I want a wide wrap but I want to get it done and to enjoy it

    I suspect garter stitch may be the way forward to for me after 5 rows of seed stitch having lost me the will to carry on

    ReplyDelete