Thursday, August 22, 2013

Granny Square Scarf and tomatoes

DSCF3260aa

We’re having a burst of summer weather here in my neighborhood and it is hot already today, even early this morning.  Nevertheless, I am making scarves and hats—really, why not?--and this one, this scarf, makes me feel as though I have hit upon it.  This is the scarf I want to wear, this is the one.  It might not work in the deep and frigid misery that is January in New York, but for those first really cold days, which will be here before long, this is perfect.  It’s colorful and crafty and granny-ish, and I love it so much.  It looks like me. 

DSCF3261aa

Even though I am mostly down to nothing, scrap-wise, I do still have a lot of yarn in the cupboard, so when I chanced on the prettiest granny square scarf ever, there was nothing to stop me from immediately sitting down and starting.  Which, honestly, is the biggest reason I ever get anything done.  If I already have all the stuff to make something, I’ll be making it right now, you bet.  Which is why I always have a ton of projects lying around half-finished.  I am so seduced by possibilities. 

DSCF3259a

The yarns I used, mostly artifacts from the Great 70% Off Sale of 2012,  are Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in olive (340025), Debbie Bliss Rialto DK in dark orange (23032), Sublime Baby Cashmerino Silk DK in light orange (0219) and purple (0217), Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in light blue (ball band gone), a scrap of KnitPicks Comfy in light pink, and a teeny bit of yellow cotton something or other that I thrifted somewhere and can’t identify.  Oh, and the last round of each square and edging is Jo Sharp Soho Summer DK Cotton in pearl gray.  I used a US F hook for the whole thing.  There are ten squares of eight rounds, and I joined them as I went, using this method, which gave it a nice drape.  I added a round of single crochet all the way around, and then finished it with a row of shells at each end.

DSCF3264a

Along with apples and bonfires and hot cider, a thing like this helps take the sting out of the end of summer.   Until then, I’ll just be over here, sweating.  And putting trays of Roma tomatoes into the oven for a sloooow roast, oh my goodness, have you tried this?  I cut the tomatoes in half (or in chunks if the tomatoes are big) spread them on a cookie sheet, dosing them generously with olive oil and salt.  They go into a 200 F oven for about eight to ten hours, until they are like tomato raisins, still soft, but shriveled and small, and absolutely teeming with flavor.  They are, in a way, reduced to their essence, and oh boy, their essence is something else, something wonderful you will want to just plop onto a piece of sourdough bread and devour.  Whatever doesn’t get eaten immediately goes into a big glass jar, and I sprinkle them with more salt, and cover them with oil, and refrigerate or freeze them until I’m ready to make sauce.  Try it, you will not believe how good your kitchen smells. 

35 comments:

  1. The other scarf is pretty, but I think that yours is much nicer, I love the colours and it looks so soft and drapey, the other one looked a little stiff. Hope that you enjoy wearing it, but hope that it is a long way off being cold enough to need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty! Now that i see how nice yours turned out I am resisting the urge to stop work on the shawl i am trying to finish up to begin a new granny infinity scarf! Wear it well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of my favorite things....granny squares and tomoatoes. Love the scarf, think I need to make one for this winter. Need to try how you do the tomatoes, sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color combination you used. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!!! I looooooooooooooooove it!!!!!
    Kisses from Catalonia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the cool greys and greens tone down the fiery hot tomato like colours of the centres of these granny squares. I have never mixed yarn types (cotton and wool) when making anything like this but it seems to have worked up a treat. Enjoy wearing the scarf in the Autumn, I get the feeling I will be making one similar in the not too distant future. I will definitely be making some of those slow roasted toms too, they sound delish. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun granny scarf! soon enough the time will come to enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Describing the tomatoes is actually making my mouth water and my eyes are watering from the lovely colours in the granny scarf. Why am I not making piles of these, I ask myself? Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful scarf and colors. Your work is always pretty. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours in your scarf work so well together.Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo, I love the scarf and the dress underneath it too...now just throw on a pair of Frye boots (remember those?)and your outfit is complete...ready for apple picking :)
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really beautiful. I think I know what I will do with some of my Baby Cashmerino stash now. The tomatoes sound so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm, two things I love. Roasted vegetables with olive oil, especially tomatoes (which I am now going to steal from my sisters garden, while she is at work), and Crochet. That scarf is gorgeous, and I have coffee in hand this morning and am digging through my stash right now to see what the possibilities are in making one. I have been trolling Pinterest looking at Autumn makes, and a scarf would be just the thing.
    Enjoy your day!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristen,

    I adore your scarf! I will be making one asap. Different colours likely, as I don't have the same as you.

    I have tried slow roasting tomatoes. I do them with onion, garlic, salt and parsley and when they are done, I jar and freeze. Last year, I didn't even make sauce. I just take a jar from the freezer and add to pasta, douse with parmesan and pepper, maybe add some spinach or swiss chard. Delicious.
    Love your blog. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  15. The scarf is divine- the colors work so well together- I bet this will be a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The scarf is lovely! The way the colors transition reminds me of changing seasons with the summery blues and greens on the outer rounds and fall colors in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty gorgeous fantastic scarf.
    Why don't I have just one like it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really do love grannies!!! THis one is extra special pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why you think this is THE SCARF! It is beautiful and will look so fresh for those Autumn days that will be popping up soon, well soon for you here in Florida the dreaded heat will continue for months.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty! It looks so soft and snuggly. I know how you feel; I see a project I like and start on it right away if I have the materials, regardless of how many current WIPs I have! And thanks for the tomato "recipe"; sounds delish! Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. the scarf is so cosy and snuggly!!!!
    I have to try the tomatoes!!!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your scarf turned out so beautiful! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous scarf. I love the soft colours.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh You Domestic Goddess You!!!! Those tomatoes sound so divine.... will have to make a run to the organic store as we did not grow any this year... last years crop and weather were so disastrous and this year I just never got to it..... and that scarf.... WOW You truly have a mystical magical way when pairing colors..... also love how drapey and soft the scarf looks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the colors you used for that scarf! It would be a beautiful afghan. MUST dive in my yarn bin!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your scarf. Simple and beautiful. And the tomatoes sound like something to try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this and the colours are scrummy. Just perfect for when the weather changes.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Melanie x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your scarf is beautiful, I love it! Inspirational colour combination:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. "seduced by possibilities"--oh yes, I know that well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi kristen
    this is a lovely granny square scarf. thanks for sharing this, love the colours. i am also starting one too.they are great for using up your yarns when you don;t know what to do with them.
    have a great day
    fiona
    http://shanghaililycancook.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/my-stash-buster-challenge-granny-square.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Kristen, just a gorgeous blog and scarf. - as always! I have finally found a way of using my silks. I have linked to your blog here http://www.ravelry.com/projects/-chookgirl-/granny-square-scarf-kit. If this is a concern to you in any way, would you let me know at Ravelry please? I shall then remove any photo and URL of your blog. So appreciate it!
    Ps I'm a huge fan! Petah :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. "seduced by possibilities"....you have spoken the truth about almost all crafty endeavors. And your possibilities are more often than not turned into gorgeous realities, as here:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Aah, what a beautiful scarf! With a scarf like this it'd ALMOST make me glad we're heading into winter!

    ReplyDelete