Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Quilt and sweater

DSCF3345a

I am as predictable as a sunrise.  The moment there is the slightest feel of autumn in the air, I am casting on a sweater.  Whoops, it’s 60 degrees F?  I’m headfirst in the yarn cupboard, pawing through the wool.  You can set your watch by me.  The same thing will happen with mittens as soon as I see a snowflake, which let us fervently hope doesn’t happen for quite awhile, though it has been a strange year for weather.  And how I love to choose a palette, wind everything into center-pull cakes, and tuck it all neatly into a pretty basket.  It doesn’t stay pretty for long, but I do love it.  The pattern I’m using is this one; you can see I’ve chosen my own colors.  These are all Cascade 220, Patons Classic, and Berocco Vintage.  It will (I know, I say this every time) probably take quite awhile—that’s a coat in stranded colorwork; my knuckles ache just thinking about it—but I can’t wait.  I look at the basket of yarn the way an eight-year old looks at her birthday presents.  Lemme at it!  I just dance inside.  Yarn, and color.  Thank you, yarn, for being so great.  I can’t promise I won’t cast on yet another sweater, for when I need a break from all the fussing of colorwork, and for when I also need a break from the endless and mind-erasing laceweight seed stitch wrap.  (Seriously, knitting that thing puts me into a trance.)  Well, it is September.  I just want snuggly, soft, cabled cardigans. 

In other happy news, my gorgeous vintage Singer 600 Slant-o-Matic, the beautiful Miss Kastner, lives.  Thanks be for competent repairmen.  (This guy says he can even fix my poor, dilapidated, half-destroyed Bernina, which I had essentially given up for dead, can you believe that?  If he fixes the Bernina, I will adopt him and make him come to Thanksgiving dinner.)

DSCF3360a

This quilt is basted now, and all I need is one long, empty day.  I’ll make coffee (iced or hot, depending on the weather), tune the radio to that station that keeps playing Philadelphia Freedom and Night Fever, and finish it up.  I’ll take breaks to stir the soup, move the laundry, take the dog for a walk, knit a few rows.  Git ‘er done. 

24 comments:

  1. I feel the same way, I've picked up my knitting again. I love this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your quilt top is wonderful! Anxious to see it complete.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! (typical reaction from me when seeing your projects), I am so jealous that you can even consider making such a thing (sweater)! BTW the quilt is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a wonderful feeling...fall is getting closer and ill go back to doing sweaters again soon also...canst wait to see when you start it...love the color pallet. And the quilt...superb !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another pretty sweater on the sticks, you're killing me. Can't wait to see that quilt, I seriously love those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH day divine when you send another post and take me on a texture/color adventure....
    I do not even pretend that I will ever make another knitted garment of the magnitude or colorliciousness such as yours are.... its enough to merely view your color options and then upon completion of project to melt into a trance and for just a moment pretend the amazing work of JOY is mine!!! Thanx for all the Joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that word "yarn cake" and feeling and looking at them makes me all happy inside! Once again your yarn choices are beautiful Kristen, I would love to have a nosy round your yarn cupboard :o) Gorgeous quilt patchwork too, can't wait to see it finished, hopefully in time for those winter chills x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. The coat is wonderful, I would not have any idea how to even begin something like that. Hope that you enjoy making it and have fun wearing it. Fantastic news on Miss Kastner, and Miss Bernina! Imagine, you could use one with each hand - perhaps not! Hope that you are enjoying having Miss Kastner back again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The day you describe for working on your quilt has to be my idea of a perfect day. Just right for this sort of early autumn day (in the UK) when I start thinking and planning how to complete all the projects started earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a beautiful jacket. I love your colour palette for it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I checked the link for the jacket, it looks pretty...challenging? You can always do a few dishcloths and hats in between to keep you sane! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yaaaay the sewing machine is fixed and hopefully the bernia as well so pleased they have been/to be fixed have a great time finishing your quilt it's looking great Kerena

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy for you that Miss Kastner is alive and kicking once again! Your yarn looks so nice in its little basket - I love your colour choices, very sweet and gentle and so nicely wound!
    All the best with your projects and I hope the weather holds out a bit longer yet before you need your mittens!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. hooray for wonderful repairmen!!!


    can't wait to see the quilt...you make the quilts I see in my head

    I *will* make a quilt...one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  14. that coat!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!! (i, too cast on when I'm cold.....from the looks of things around here, I won't ever be able to knit a coat again!!! -- it's still in the 90s!)

    also can't wait to the quilt as a FO.....so close! One good day's work....ta-dah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whooo beautiful. I can see you finishing that up in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kristen, it's grand news that a talented sewing machine expert is reviving your old friends.

    Your yarn assortment's colors are going to be perfect for that fair isle coat. I do know what you mean about that slight chill in the air signaling that it's time to cast on. (Of course, this silly devoted knitter has been working on projects all through the summer heat. It's certainly going to be more pleasant now!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great news about your beloved Miss Kastner, I know you must be so thrilled to have her back. That sweater/coat is going to be amazing. Quite an undertaking, but I am sure you already have it half done by now.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know exactly what you mean about the seed stitch putting you into a trance. I've been working on a seed stitch scarf for months now. I can only do a few rows at a time because every time I start knitting the rhythmic rocking of the knitting motion puts me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me encantan tus trabajos, eres una gran artista, me hago seguidora tuya, un gran saludo desde Tenerife.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am exactly the same way when it comes to yarn, let me at it!!! That is a lovely sweater, have fun with all of the colour changes and be sure to post progress pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely quilt! And about the yarn story; I think it's some sort of wooly conditioning resulting from years and years of practice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely color choices for that beautiful sweater - Wowzer! Can't wait to see your progress pics! Great news about Miss Kastner, will keep my fingers crossed for your Bernina (I wouldn't let that guy out the door if he can fix that too ;-)) Happy quilting! (am looking forward to seeing this finish too of course), Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful choice of colours for your project I had a peek at the pattern. It looks gorgeous but would be a bit challenging for me! Enjoy! Xx

    ReplyDelete