Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Crazy Quilt, the start

DSCF3695

I’m not making an actual crazy quilt.  For that I’d need, I don’t know, piecing skills and patience.  The crazy here is all in the fabric.  These fabrics have nothing to do with anything.  They are loud.  So loud.  They make me wonder how it is that I have them.  The collection of gently faded autumnal shades I was looking at last week has been shunted off to the side, and a circus tent has begun to form.  I’ve pulled all the hard-to-use fabrics out of the stash, piled them together, and started another quilt.   Here’s something interesting:  I notice that the more I have an actual need for something around here--say all the napkins are getting ratty, and I have a cute napkin idea and a perfect thrifted linen tablecloth ready to cut up and all I have to do is spend two hours hemming and I won’t have to wipe my mouth on my sleeve anymore—that project isn’t as interesting as finding out what the heck all these hot florals and 80’s bathroom wallpaper fish prints are going to look like when this quilt is done.

DSCF3702

I already know the end of the napkin story.  But this quilt?  Not yet.  Fascinating. 

17 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! I can picture this quilt already. It's going to be brilliant.
    The napkins need to go to the way, way back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great array of fabrics to choose from there, so whatever you decide I am sure that it will look fab! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's going to be one splendid quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making what is called around these parts as an 'ugly' quilt. According to my hubs they are the best quilts one can make. Of course, my ugly fall quilt from last year still has not been completed. LOL

    Odd how I have been thinking napkins too.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I am quite looking forward to seeing how it begins to take shape! Also, I am short on napkins as well.

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, have your ever put quilt squares in a paper bag and just pulled out squares and stitched them in willy-nilly order? I have a friend who encouraged me to do that but as yet I don't have all the squares cut out and if I ever get around to doing so I think I am not brave enough to dare to try that method.
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that method is more or less how I usually operate--subbing the paper bag for a basket or chaotic pile on the table, mostly, but the result is the same. Be brave, Gracie, you can do it--choose your palette, and then trust it. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh Kristen!!!!! I Am so fascinated by this project.... and Am looking forward to taking this ride with You!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your idea of loud and my idea of loud are very different. I see a fairly calm palette with a few pops. But I don't see anything screaming for attention. It'll be a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I find them loud not for the colors but for the patterns. I've been angling so toward tiny calicoes lately, and these are all HUGE prints. They seem to scream at me.

      Delete
  9. Ohh this project intrigues me. I love all of the randomness in those patterns. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did we have the same wallpaper? Good luck.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow. I just found your blog when I saw your sock yarn leftover scarf on Pinterest.....and ended up looking around. Then I saw your stacks of fabric, and I have just about the same thing going on in my sewing area, though not as neat. And I found this youtube video on the disappearing nine patch quilt, which is wickedly simple, and very cool. Anyhow, I love your blog, and will be happily checking back. Love it, Hilary. Crazy as a Loom Weaving Studio

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going to be fun to make it, but will take time of course :) All th ebest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the start of a quilt the most, when it's just a pile of fabric and possibilities. This is going to be a good one I think.

    ReplyDelete