Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday

DSCF3145a

Thank you all for your wonderfully kind comments about my sweater coat.  That thing was such a labor of love.  You can just immerse yourself in a creative process with something like that, which is such a nice place to be.  Of course, as always after the end of a big project, It’s been all starts and stops around here.  I feel full of great ideas, and then some work out and some don’t.  I began a monochromatic knitted log cabin blanket in two colors of teal which looked just wonderful in my head, but 3/64ths of the way in, it was boring and I scrapped it.  I might revisit that idea in something more neutral, but meanwhile something else came along and I’ll do that one first.  More garter stitch.  I don’t know what it is with me and garter stitch lately.  We’re having such a love affair. 

DSCF3103a

I also started a new cardigan, in brown wool.  The first sleeve is done.  Do I knit a brown wool cardigan every single autumn?  I think I do.  If there’s anything more lovely than a brown knit cardigan in autumn, I’m not sure what it is.  Well, a gray knit cardigan is up there.  And quilts with wool batting.  Mittens.  Naps.  Homemade soup.  But brown is pretty great. 

DSCF3134a 

It’s been so warm that we hear the peepers at night; they’ve been fooled into thinking it’s spring.  But still, it feels like fall.  The outdoor furniture is layered with spent leaves.  The hens are taking apart what’s left of the garden, and laying a million eggs.  Our town smells like apples.  A gigantic spider is living right beside the back door.  His web is so strong that Dean bumped into it yesterday, and it stretched, but did not break, which both amazes me and freaks me completely out.  I keep thinking how good it was that the spider was not at home.  The windows are open, and it rains a little.  Things in the yard turn gold.  I love these transitions from one season to another.  Start, stop. 

11 comments:

  1. That sweater coat is fabulous! And I love what you did to the thrifted sweater! I am a big JJill fan, and have a lot of things from there. Such a great way to fix a small problem! You have my wheels spinning!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just want to be there, you write so descriptively (spelling?) it is wonderful. I can't believe that you are off on another knitting project already! Amazing. I like the pretties on your shelf too. So many nice things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm brown wool cardi, soup, rain, apples,falling leaves and fresh eggs. Sounds wonderfully fallish! Enjoy your knitting!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is my favorite time of year, a time I can not experience here in Florida. I think I make a gray cardigan every year, but brown is lovely too.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olá,
    também adoro tricotar, nesse inverno fiz vários.
    Tenha uma ótima semana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I know what you mean about a brown cardigan - a sort of comfort colour, always reliable, like grey, and not as harsh as black. And up there with all the other good things of autumn.
    Look forward to seeing your next projects Kristen.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you tell a story

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, I do love this time of year, when a cardigan gives warmth enough, but it's also wise to keep an umbrella handy. Let's all us on the east coast of the States not forget that there are lots of folks still trying to recover from Hurricane Sandy.

    And yet, this is a season I do prefer to summer. At least summer in the city when the back of your neck gets gritty. I quote a 60's tune.

    Actually, I think that creative folks find ways to get inspiration from any part of the year. It's just a matter of keeping your senses open.

    I am very curious about how it was that you came to dwell where you do. If you wish to reveal more, please do send me an email.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo a brown cardigan excellent idea! I love this time of year too and I'm making up a mess load of mittens! Currently in love with everything October, until it snows...

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  10. The coat is beautiful and such a huge undertaking! I would be overwhelmed by it , but you just plowed on!
    Your vignettes in your photos are lovely, especially loving the framed owls.
    Cardigans are my favorite type of sweater to wear and I own loads! Brown perhaps helps you to blend in more with the autumn color palette? My mom tells me to wear more bright colors but I am most comfortable with the more muted and natural tones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The snapshots of your home look so nice and cozy!

    ReplyDelete