Friday, November 15, 2013

Luxury scarf

DSCF3722a

Sometimes, inspiration can come right from the yarn cupboard itself.  This happens to me all the time.  I’m in there searching around for one thing, and suddenly, I find another.  This time, it was two laceweight yarns, both Jaggerspun Zephyr (a merino and silk blend.)  In two shades of turquoise, they happened to be sitting together on the shelf, and when I saw them, I knew what to do. 

DSCF3725a

I’m going crazy for a contrasting edge right now; I love it so much.  It makes this thing sort of moderne, no? 

I didn’t use a pattern, this triangular scarf is the simplest thing in the world:  using a US 3 circular needle and holding the yarn double, I cast on at the back of the neck (I don’t remember how many—maybe two?  Four?) and then just worked in stockinette stitch back and forth, increasing twice at the center and once on each end, every right side row.  I maintained two stitches in garter at the edges.  When the yarn from the first ball ran out, I joined the second ball and kept at it for awhile until it seemed like it was time for an edging, at which time I switched to a smaller needle (US 2) and worked garter stitch until it seemed like there was just enough left for a bind off, then I bound off. 

The yarn is gorgeous.  It is deliciously soft, and the silk makes it gleam a little.  Imagine it in candlelight.  When I wear this, I feel glamorous.  I’d like to make a huge one of these in pearl gray, using about ten thousand yards of silky laceweight yarn and spending just countless hours and hours in the plain and soothing monotony of stockinette stitch.  That contrasting space between the dullness of the boring stitches and the utter luxury of the beautiful yarn is such a nice place to be.  I spend each stitch dreaming of the finished piece, how it will transform me. 

25 comments:

  1. I think you have the luckiest dress form in the world! She's always getting soft, new wardrobe items. Great scarf. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. I realize I don't know the difference between a triangular scarf and a shawl. I think I will look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful and the colours look so amazing together Kristen, hope that you love wearing it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. It's beautiful and I've been dreaming for days of a simple shawl containing miles and miles of stockinette stitch. Thank you so much. xxxxxLisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you are in love with it, frankly I am too.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luxurious indeed, in color, texture, yarn, and magnificently fine knitting. Thank you, Kristen, for sharing the recipe with us, too.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes yes yes, i do know exactly what you mean, love the luxury and simplicity, it's beautiful kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely pattern & colours!!! perfect for wintertime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colours Kristen, it looks like it will be a pleasure to wear.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful and yet so simple! It will jazz up any outfit and make you feel like a queen! Thanks for the easy pattern, that can be embellished in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful color combo. This is so lovely! Everything in the cupboard (yarn or fabric) eventually finds it's place doesn't it? I love it when that happens.
    I've been trying to crochet a shawl in a single strand of lace weight for um about a year now. It's maybe two inches long. I'm thinking holding it double might be the motivation I need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's absolutely lovely. Such smooth professional knitting, I am so impressed with your creativity. It does indeed look very luxurious. And the colours are wonderful. It's a triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How gorgeous - the colours are fabulous. No wonder you feel so special wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done. It really is gorgeous! I am familiar with this yarn and it is sooo soft and fabulous. I made my first shawl the other day and am working on my second. They are fun and easy to make. Just love them.
    -Birgitta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every single thing is gorgeous about your scarf, the shape, the colours. It must be lovely to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol and Funny, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    LolsGag.Com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful scarf. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so gorgeous...never heard of the yarn Jaggerspun Zephyr and looked it up. Wish I didn't, Sigh...:-) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete