Thursday, December 19, 2013

Waiting

 

When I was a child, chewing gum came in two colors—pink, and this color:

DSCF4040a

I confirmed this with the doctor, who, when I said, “what color was gum when you were a kid?” said, “Tan.”  Well, according to the marketing department at Louet, the color of this Gems #2 Fine/Sportweight is called “Linen Grey”, and I think it’s that European spelling of “grey” that keeps making me mentally add the word “French” to the color name, but anyhoo, this yarn is that color.  French Linen/French Grey/Grey Linen.  Nice, right?  It’s a great color, but I don’t know if it’s right for this lovely, somewhat flirty design.  Now it just looks like gum.  Especially right here, where you see my extremely skillful attempt at grafting the i-cord bind off. 

DSCF4041

Jeepers.  I don’t even know what happened there.  Manu is spending a few days at the sweater spa, napping in front of the fire after a warm bath, and I am spending that time circling and pacing as it dries, thinking about all the ways this thing kicked my butt.  I’m spending more time than usual on choosing the buttons, too, because I think, in this case, they can make or break.

DSCF4038a

I like those lacy white ones in the middle, but I think they’re too big.  Should the buttons pop or blend?  I don’t even know.  This sweater made me feel like I’ve never made a sweater before. 

21 comments:

  1. Those Lacey buttons look really nice with it. Sometimes it's nice if buttons make a statement x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the two toned black ones at the lower left too. This sweater reminds me of winter skies. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white lacy buttons caught my eye first. It's a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lacy buttons, but I agree that they're too big (unless you want to hide the placket, but why would you?). Can you get them in a smaller size?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the lacy buttons are lovely and suit the colour of the yarn really well, it is a gorgeous colour ... (dont think of it like Gum!! ) :) it is really a lovely colour, French Linen suits it great and the lacy buttons add a vintage touch.. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lacy buttons and I think they suit the sweater. Your knitting is so neat, it's really beautiful. Do you remember Freedent gum? I hated the way it felt when you chewed it, like dried rubber cement in your teeth. It was that gray color too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the lacy buttons look lovely with it! I love the sound of Linen Grey, can't wait to see the finished product all pulled together!

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally break the rules and go for RED buttons!That's some gorgeous Manu you've been a-making.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure it will be completely lovely, I wish I could make something like this. The lacy buttons go beautifully. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lacy white buttons are beautiful, they are all lovely buttons, but for this I like the ones above the lacy ones best, they blend, but show up just enough too and I think they are a great size. You will make the right decision I am sure!! Happy Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the pink buttons myself

    your sweater looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lacy ones stood out to me from all the rest... and yes, gum was that exact color of tan or Bazooka pink! ( and I could buy a piece of Bazooka for a penny at the newspaper store in the penny candy bins! ) Ah memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The buttons need to be small and blend in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd go for the contrasting darker buttons, but can't be sure until I see the whole sweater (style). French grey sounds lovely no matter what buttons you use.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the ones to the far right, a little color but still in the same color family.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Make it 'pop' before I read that you liked the lacy ones I had already chosen them xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The lacey ones drew my eye too, but maybe just because they are right in the middle. I quite like the dark ones too, on the bottom right. I'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  18. my first thought was red buttons and I am also thinking that square wooden buttons would be great too. the color is very simple, as is the style ,so I think the buttons would really make the whole sweater come together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with you on the lacy ones in the middle. They pulled my eye in very quickly. And I probably shouldn't get a vote on if the buttons should pop out or blend in because I love buttons so much I always think they should pop lol!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  20. The buttons on Kate's original Manu are quite striking, and so I'd go with something similar and choose the lacy ones.

    ReplyDelete