Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cotton wash mitts, and warmth

DSCF4303a

Mine is an old house, and despite the best efforts of central heating, it gets cold at night upstairs, as in I have a hard time believing there’s actually heat coming out the register at all.  Once the door is shut, the room turns into a refrigerator.  The old dog won’t even sleep in there anymore.  I have finally had it with huddling under a hundred pounds of blankets, trying to keep all the bare parts of me from peeking outside the covers.  I’ve been known to wear a wool hat and arm warmers to bed.  That’s not okay with me, y’all.  These are not pioneer times.  Heck, in pioneer times, they slept next to the stove, didn’t they?  They knew what they were doing.  I know I’m the only one; I know almost everybody loves to sleep in a cold room, and I know this because no matter who I’m talking to, that’s what they tell me, and I just don’t get it at all.  I don’t want to burrow under a heavy heap of blankets and wear wool socks and deal with a hot water bottle (those eventually get cold, you know), I want, you know, a reasonable amount of ambient warmth.  Now.  You can see I’m still obsessing about the temperature.  So we bought this little fake stove.  Dang, it’s so perfect and adorable!   I cranked it up to about nine and went to bed, and hoo!  Warm.  Me:  “Ahhh!  It’s so nice in here!  [waves bare leg around to demonstrate] Don’t you think it’s nice in here?” Him, stripping to his skivvies:  “We’ll see…”  He slept flat on his back with no blankets at all, so maybe we could dial it back to eight.  Anyway, finding a spot for the stove in the bedroom meant rearranging some furniture, which led to a whole bunch of puttering, with me mopping floors and moving shelves and then curating little vignettes on them with what we already had around here, and the puttering spilled over into the hallway, and then into the bathroom, because when you tidy one room, suddenly the room next to it looks like a yard sale, all of which finally led to me crocheting these cotton wash mitts.  The bathroom needed some stripes, and I needed to sit down and take a break.  I know you know how it is.

DSCF4292a

I love how that faucet is so shiny you can see me in it.  Yes!  Clean.  I started with this pattern, and then sort of adjusted to suit my yarn amounts and whims.  The yarns are all aran or worsted weight cottons, scraps from the stash, and I used a 4.0mm hook.  They look so nice and stripe-y, and they’re useful, too.  Utility crafts.  Now it’s a warm bubble bath, a cozy flannel nightie, then straight to bed by the flickering (fake) firelight.  It’s like a dream come true.  Take that, winter. 

22 comments:

  1. Snoring was actually a solution for us. Hubby snore sooo loud, that he can be heard through two, two doors, loudly. This means if I want to sleep, actually sleep, I do it in a different room. TA DA! Each room has a different temperature at night. One he calls the sauna, and the other I call the arctic. (Please, Wisconsin with the window open.)

    Snoring made me warmer. Who knew?

    Now if I could only come up with an excuse to crochet for a bit today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh sleep tight Kristen. I love those hand mits. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a cold room lover and sleep with the windows wide open unless the outside temp dips below -3C. If the windows are closed, I am cranky the next day ;lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a warm bedroom so I can have the window open a little for some fresh air but not freeze! Greta idea getting the electric stove, and glad you are warm now!
    Like you our house is older and gets cold, so our first winter we bought electric fan heaters for the rooms we use most, and as our heating is expensive oil it means that we can just pop a heater on to warm a room instantly rather than wait two hours for it to heat up!
    Love the little cloths, I still havent made any but every time i see them they look so sweet and i want to make them.
    Enjoy your new found warmth!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling wash mitts! I know exactly what you mean about old houses and winter... my room gets dreadfully cold at night, even with the door open! However this gives me an excuse to use ALL the quilts at once and snuggle in until extra late every morning. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a little under the weather the couple of days, and also have an old house. And Oh Boy have we had a cold winter with some heat issues. We have the old heat the water in the pipes to heat the house.... who ever thought of this was not of the cold nature. Our heater went out, we've ran out of fuel, and a pipe froze. One day after another. What a winter. Much like you I love to sleep in a warm room. Which drives Jerm crazy. I love the cozy feel of all the quilts and afghans, however I want to be able to breath under them. And then I stumbled a pond your Blog. I have found a new warmth. I find it very cozy and inspirational. Love the mitts, and think they would be great in my bath. As would many of the cozy things I've scrolled across on your blog. Stay warm my friend, and thanks for a new cozy spot to run to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This actually is a exceptionnaly shining faucet!

    You made some nice wash mitts!

    And stoves rule! They Always do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're warm at last! Great washcloths, I really must try making some of these, I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate sleeping in a warm room ... it's the only way I can sleep with my Hudson's Bay blanket and down-filled duvet on top of that ... so cozy! What's not to like? Your wash cloths are so fresh looking ... very pretty. Whoops! just looked outside and it's snowing hard out there (no kidding!). Hang in there, summer will be here (and gone again) before you know it ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is so funny, you hate sleeping in the cold and/or under lots of blankets, so you end up crocheting bath mittens for the bathroom!!! You always find a way to make something knitted or crocheted which is what I love about your blog!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is wonderful Kristen, and I'm so pleased to hear you can sleep warm at nights now - I had a look at your new heater, it's fab!
    I also love your wash mitts and thank you for the idea - I'll be following that up as I was ready for a new project and this is ideal!
    Cheers, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that little stove! I love it, and it really puts off some heat. Sadly, right now she is just more decoration as we've moved to South Carolina. Down here I can actually use it instead of real whole-house heat some days.

    Love the wash mitts, too. Crafting + utility = wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well good for you! It's hard to sleep when your nose is frozen like an ice cube. Very nice wash mitts. It's funny how the addition of one single item can spark a complete room makeover and crochet session.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor hubby, you've cooked the dear man! I'm more for a cool room but been a bit tested recently as boiler has been broken for much of the last four days. Oddly it is the hot water I miss most as I'm quite happy to coorie under a blanket sadly the cats don't share my cool thinking and have been displeased with the way of things. Love the wash mitts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How you can clean, redecorate and have time to crochet is amazing to me, but your house looks so inviting! I do in general like to sleep in a cool room but this winter even way down here in the south I have been sleeping with layers of clothing, so I can only imagine how cold your nights have been.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Love these they are wonderful .... I just love handmade items in use all around the house, I think I will make a few myself. Your blog is just lovely, I enjoyed your post, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I just totally love these! I have such a soft spot for stripes! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE your stove!!! We had a similar one in the UK and I adored it! So cute and yet so functional! ENJOY!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. My dream is to have one of those royal-type beds with the heavy velvet curtains, so I can tuck myself in and close the curtains on the world and have the bed like a giant oven for me! I hate a cold room, my body temp drops like 20 degrees as soon as I tuck in to bed, my feet turn into "feetcicles" so it's woolly socks and hot water bottle for me. I get ya! Maybe I'll hook up some stripy washcloths, too, and feel warmer? ;-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!I just bought that self same stove in white for my tiny sitting room!!!Did you know you can even adjust the brightness of the 'flames' too?!I'm going to swap over the handles on mine for neat little ceramic ones. Stay warm and cosy.

    ReplyDelete