Monday, April 7, 2014

Santa Fe Tunic

DSCF4579a

Speaking of wearable, I give you this simple granny square tunic.  I’m sure this has been done since the dawn of crochet, but nobody is more surprised than I that it worked.  As it dried, it had all the flair and shape of a child’s t-shirt, and I couldn’t imagine it would fit me, though I measured everything repeatedly.  The numbers didn’t lie.  It fits. 

DSCF4575a

Maybe it helps if, like me, you are getting to be a Woman of a Certain Age.  I have noticed a kind of, er, shift in the structure of things, if you will.  Tunics!  Yes, bring on the tunics. 

DSCF4580a

Of course. a bit of je ne sais quoi is also required if you want to walk down the street wearing a sweater made out of granny squares.  You need self-possession.  Little kids have it, and it’s also a nice side-benefit of aging.  This tunic, my daughter said, is something Mrs. Weasley would wear—very high praise, indeed. 

DSCF4581a

Inspired in construction by the Abiquiu tunic—knitted counterpane squares, joined together—from the Spring 2014 Interweave Knits, I measured myself at the widest point, divided that number by four, and worked sixteen granny squares to that dimension, joining as I went, and then added a picot edge to the cuffs, hem, and neckline.  There’s no sewing-up at the finish—just weave in your ends and clip them off.  I blocked it—of course—to maximize drape.  Right up until it was dry (and it took a long time to dry) and I could put it on, I did not believe it would work.  But it did. 

DSCF4588a

This would be great, even more Mrs. Weasely-ish, in scrappy grannies, but I was feeling more subdued than that when I made mine, so all sixteen squares are the same.  Still bohemian, I think.  I like the undulating ombre effect of the (mostly) related colors.  Desert, sunset, sky.

There are eight different colors here, all worsted weights:  Cleckheaton something or other in burnt orange, leftover Hayfield DK in pale pink (oops, that’s not worsted weight—well, it worked out fine) Berocco Vintage in orange heather, Berocco Vintage in pale blue, Patons Classic Wool, dyed by me with red onion skins—it’s a warm, almost pinkish brown, Araucania something or other, dyed by me with turmeric, and Berocco Vintage in gold and gold heather.  All but the last two are single skeins and scraps.  I used a 4.00 mm hook. 

DSCF4591a

Crazy, crazy, crazy.  Crazy that it worked.  I love it. 

33 comments:

  1. Very nice and your daughter gave it a perfect name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes bohemian, and I'd wear it. Doing the tunic thing too; everything has shifted on this 52 yr old body. Resembling my mother more everyday. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours, very boho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! Wear it proudly! It looks lovely on you.
    Beca

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's brilliant and you look stunning wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been following your blog for the past several months and enjoying it very much. Love your choice of projects and this one is no exception! Your commentary is insightful and thoroughly entertaining. I remember learning the granny square back in 1969 for a poncho pattern. The booklet also had a bikini pattern that my daughter even thinks is scandalous by today's standards. haha "Everything old is new again!" -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic ...just my sort of need...did I say need yes I did as I also have noticed the shift in the structure of things and tunics deal with the coverage of that shift of things. I am sure you get my meaning Kristen!!! LOL! I do hope you will offer us a pattern...please :-)

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word ... I love this top! Maybe because I'm also of a certain age :) either way, it's abundantly clear you own it! I recently acquired a crochet needle and some yarn to practice making nice things. Can you give an idea of how much yarn of each colour you used as this is going on my TV watching - needlework multitasking list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wendz, thanks very much! I used less than 100g of the first six--and the beginning rounds really use tiny amounts--then there were two 100g skeins of the seventh color and probably three 100g skeins of the eighth. I don't know exactly, because that last color was the unraveled remains of an earlier sweater. Good luck with yours! :)

      Delete
  9. It really does work and looks fabulous from over the sea in the UK. The snow is shrinking then ? Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE it! It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is soooo fab and I love the Mrs Weasley element! (I desperately want to live at The Burrow.....)! I'm going to try and make a similar one but in a single colour - just to see if I can! I'll let you know how it goes....eek!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Kristen, this looks so cute on you! I love the colors. I haven't crocheted anything wearable beyond a shawl or scarf, but this has got me convinced otherwise. As for tunics...well thank god they are in style. I no longer own any belts Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lookin' Good! You can definitely pull that off girl, and look at you , all sassy, hands on hips! You Go, Girl, GO GO GO!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muito criativo.
    Ficou lindo.
    Parabéns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are definitely rocking that cool tunic. I am all about tunics these days, in my 6th decade and overweight and out of shape. But you my friend, are trim and cute as a button. I especially like the turquoise necklace with it. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow your tunic is amazing! Love the Mrs Weasley comment LOL
    I wish I had the je ne sais quoi to wear one, I think I am of the age that is old enough ..... and yet ...... ah maybe next year ....
    I've recently started my blog, would be lovely to see you over at emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk, Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE it! And I am a woman of a 'certain age' *ehem!* So I too am all about the tunic these days

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice! Love the colors... and as a woman of a certain age, I'm with you.... bring on the tunics!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it and you said it right...it worked! It's a beautiful, bohemian tunic that makes a statement. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is wonderful! You made a really good job, and it is simple as everything genius!
    I Love it! I shall make one for myself :) You such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it!! And it looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that it really suits you - looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's amazing! The colours work so well together. I am crocheting some summer tanks with matching cardigans for myself and then I may try this pattern. Tunics rock! I think Mrs. Weasely would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really love this. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. FAB FOTOS!! I love your attitude and ability to share yummy wearable art!!
    I definitely am your new faithfuL follower x x x x
    Teri
    Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh yeah...I'm with ya on the "shifting" of things. Over night, practically, ok it seemed like it was over night, my butt was smaller, but suddenly jeans that I'd worn just the week before, no longer fit in the waist. WTF??? hello menopause, good bye 28 inch waist.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to see or hear about your blocking procedure and setup. This is a big project to block, and you mentioned it took a long time to dry.
    Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunt B! To block this piece, I soaked the finished garment in the sink for a few minutes, rolled it in a towel to remove excess water, spread it out on the rug in front of the fire, pulling it gently into shape, and then waited forever for it to stop being wet. That's it! :)

      Delete
  28. I love your daughter's comment! It really fits well and the colours work beautifully.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very very pretty!! ♥
    Happy Easter :-)
    Greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Mrs. Weasley AND I love the tunic! Must attempt one.

    ReplyDelete