Monday, April 14, 2014

Windy

DSCF4604a 

DSCF4608a

A grim-looking morning, fiercely windy, gave way by noon to something like summer.  Miraculous, hot, windows open, lemonade.  I slouched on a patio chair in the filtered sun as the hens puttered around digging their dustbaths and scratching through the debris left behind by months of snow.  Some of the hens are getting broody, spring-feverish, I guess.  I found three of them all trying to sit on the same single egg, piled on top of each other in the nest box, panting.  PIcking them up, plopping them in the garden—it’s a nice day, get outside and play!—they sighed, bupped at me a little, conceded the egg.  I read The Goldfinch, which  kept making me want to paint something golden and glowing.  I put laundry on the clothesline, which whipped dry in about four minutes, and I made this quilt for the little girl next door who is having a baby now, unbelievable, she was pedaling around in a plastic car shaped like a turtle when they moved in over there, a long time ago.  She’s six feet tall now, and married.  A gorgeous, red-haired girl.  Time is flying. 

DSCF4602a

This is 36” x 48”, a crib-sized, blankie-sized, quilt.  The squares are 4”, finished.  I machine-quilted it, and a few rows in I remembered how much I don’t like machine quilting, and wished I had done it by hand.  All four mitered corners are, dare I admit this, perfect!  First time ever.  I am learning!  I washed it, and tumbled it in the dryer, to give it a rumply, comfy softness.  There is so much satisfaction in a little quilt like this, done in a day, made of scraps.  I hope the baby loves it to pieces.  I hope he drags it around behind him, sucking on one ratty corner, until they finally one day have to take it away from him because it’s gotten too disgusting.  The quilter’s wish.  Let it get loved all the way up.

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift! And perfect mitered corners? You go girl! It was warm here the other day too and now storms cam through last night and I had to turn the heat on it's so cold....from 80 to 40 and freeze warnings for tonight.
    I wish I could hang outside but there's a big cedar tree that hangs over the line and deposits seed ticks on all the clothes....I learned the hard way!
    Great job on the quilt...love your blog and farms and apple orchards and the simple life. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will surely be one loved quilt! It looks very patchy and snuggly. What a sweet gift for your neighbor that you have watched grow up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, lucky neighbour :-)
    Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A quilt in a day. Wow! It is lovely and surely will be appreciated. Time sure is flying by. The more I think about it, the more I realize just how quickly. We had whipping windy weather on Friday. Has just been hazy ever since and a bit drizzly off and on today. Wishing you a great new week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift and what a lovely wish! I hope that the quilt and baby have a very long and happy life together! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful gift and one that is sure to be loved. Perfect corners? You are now my hero!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the story about your hens--it takes me back to my childhood. And I love that you wish you were hand quilting--it's such an art and such a comforting activity and so few people seem to do it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning gift for the 'little girl' next door! I can just see it being dragged around (with thumb in mouth, of course).... Love those windy days - blow the cobwebs away and always make me want to spring clean (don't worry, the feeling never lasts long)! Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely gift and in the same theme as my post today - get it done and used and let it be in the moment not saved for best. I love that quilt it is what I quilt for. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply beautiful from start to finish..... love the story the notion of this going to a once wee neighbor who is now a Mom in her own right.... and better still of a a beloved blankie to accompany this new one into a Life filled with Love Light color and adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to see a freshly made quilt out on the clothesline. The red and white is a great combo. Your neighbor is going to love it. She'll be fighting to get it out of her child's hands and into the washer.
    I still get a sucky corner on my quilts every once in a while, but the binding tutorial from Crazy Mom Quilts, really improved my success rate. I guess you can teach an old dog(quilter) new tricks.
    Heard The Goldfinch just got the Pulitzer. Have a great week!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quilt and those reds!! Looks like a breezy pretty day when you took the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt! Great job. Haha, the piled up hens are too funny ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your quilt and your hopes for it. I have a half made quilt languishing upstairs in a box, my first attempt and far too large and challenging for my inexperience. Perhaps I should remake some of it into a cot quilt... That is an idea I like.

    ReplyDelete