Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Big Projects

DSCF4744a

I might be working on too many Big Projects all at once.  It feels like it’s been a really long time since I finished something.  Maybe it’s time for a set of coasters or a dishcloth or two.  I’ve got this blanket going now, too, just a plain 12-stitch/18 row basketweave thing, knitted in my old standby, Paton’s Classic Wool, color “winter white”.  I just buy one skein of this yarn at a time, and I just kind of work on it occasionally.  I try to change skeins where the stitch pattern is delineated, just in case the different dye lots are really different, but otherwise, this is a boring little project of no worries, keeping me quietly entertained in between sock yarn squares and quilt top hand-stitching and the sweater I began over the weekend in black worsted weight yarn because that’s what I already had in the cupboard. 

Also, I went on a cleaning rampage in the Snake Palace (my garage attic) and found this:

DSCF4804a 

That’s fourteen “Drunkard’s Path” blocks, hand-pieced by me in 2001.   I know, right?  So many quilts happening right now. 

16 comments:

  1. Oh gosh I love a drunkard's path quilt! I wish I could find the pink paisley one I started years ago. Is there a reason why this particular pattern gets put away for decades at a time? You may find out when you start working on it again. Let me know : )
    And that blanket up there? A beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always happens, doesn't it, we start a project with the greatest of intentions, and then, well, we tend to forget them along the way :) Your blocks look wonderful! mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine it will look so very beautiful. I'm moving at the moment but when I'm in my house and stablished I want to make a jilt and a grey blanket for my bed... It looks like you are having fun... I understand wanting to make some coasters... Instant gratification :) what a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's me too I'm afraid! A couple of months ago I went to an exhibition of unfinished projects. I can't remember what it was called now, but it was amazing. Quilts, knitting, embroidery, you name it. See? We are all the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, busy by the looks of it! Love the basketweave pattern,it looks so complicated and effective.
    What a lucky find! Those blocks will make a gorgeous quilt.
    I find I have to make some quick makes too when in the midst of large projects to keep me going.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the drunkards quilt, will be beautiful once finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed lots of things on the go at your house. I know what you mean about needing a quick win, I am a blanket crocheter and am trying not to start other things until I finish one, but sometimes I just need to make a little something quickly so that I feel as though I have finished something. I hope that you are enjoying all of your makes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore how casually you are able to work on your big projects. As if an entire knit blanket is no big deal! I love seeing your projects in all their states! Keep sharing please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blocks are gorgeous! Keep working on them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the basketweave. I made a big blue blanket of basketweave, and it's my favorite knitted blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those blocks are so striking in black and white. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too...and I'm itching to start several more blankets and quilts!
    :-) Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on mopping up all the old WIPs! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh how i love reading your posts.
    Kinda like cozy sweater or favorite book—just right.

    keep it up, girL
    x x x x x x
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressive projects! Hope you will continue working on them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pitter patter of your posts. Those squares are unusual but worth holding on to. Jo x

    ReplyDelete