Monday, May 19, 2014

Good life

DSCF4823a

It is lush.  I am not equal to the photography of it, though I am honestly trying to learn.  I read and don’t understand the camera manual—I am so stymied by all the technical terms and I can’t remember the difference between optical and digital zoom, and I cannot grasp any of it, this dumb machinery, I just want to make things, sheesh! Anyhoo.  It’s just awfully pretty right now, and sometimes the only thing to do is to sit down in the middle of it and appreciate.  For this purpose, I have a splintery old pair of Adirondack chairs which I have had so long they are probably starting to turn vintage, and they are comfy as long as you don’t want to shift around too much, which is usually fine because if I flop down in one of them on the sunny patio, it gets lazy right away and there goes the day.  A couple of pillows would be nice, though:

DSCF4754a

My last trip to the crafty thrift store yielded one of those books of fabric samples, all indoor/outdoor fabrics, where each pattern has three color choices and two complimentary fabrics, for $1.95. 

DSCF4753a

I made a whole bunch of pillows.  I used the pretty flowery prints for one side and the plainer, striped fabrics that match them for the other.  I stitched the two together around three sides, turned them right side out, filled them with cheap stuffing, and blind-stitched the openings shut.  Nothing fancy, no piping or envelope closures or zippers, no, none of that.  They’ll spend most of the summer outdoors, fading a little I’m sure and getting blessed by passing birds, and I’m not worried about it.  I might remember to bring them inside if it rains.  Two dollars.  It’s going to be even harder to get up now. 

DSCF4760a

24 comments:

  1. They look so pretty Kristen. :~) mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pefect! I would be right there with you if I wasn't so far away! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kristen, what a clever lady you are to have brought those fabric samples home. They are perfect pillow materials! How well they suit your about-to-be-vintage chairs. Freedom from splinters has begun.

    (I am completely with you about the difficulty of reading camera manuals.)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea those pillows were! I'm the same as you when it comes to cameras. I still use an ancient Kodak digital for pictures--it only has 6.1 mega pixels. My husband wants to buy me a "nice" camera, but I know how to use the one I've got--and it still works, so I hate to toss it aside just because its old. I'm not a great photographer, but I think my pictures come out all right. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'd love to sit on one of those chairs right now ...comfy and relaxing what a great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful images here Kristen!

    Have a super week

    Vanessa xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look really comfy cosy, Kristen. Enjoy the sunshine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're beautiful and they make the chairs look very comfortable. I agree with you, Adirondack chairs are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pillows and everything looks so cozy. Such a lovely place to relax.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pillows Kristen! Our (one) apple trees' blossom is falling fast the last couple days & made me wonder if your trees were blooming yet - must be an awesome sight! I don't have the camera knowhow to do it justice either, tho' I wonder sometimes if anything truly could ;-) Have a wonderful week!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great deal! and they look gorgeous on your "vintage" chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that name 'Adirondack'. I might go there one day. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always find the best stuff at your crafty thrift store! The pillows are perfect for that spot, looks like a great place to crochet or knit.
    Don't you just love this time of year - so many blossoms and that very special vibrant green you only see in spring. Your yard looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic - all your cushions look great together!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a steal! The fabrics are gorgeous, bright and perky and just right for outdoors.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to come to where you live with the sole purpose of going to the crafty thrift store!!


    optical zoom will zoom and show you what is actually there, digital zoom will zoom and assume you want whatever object you are zooming in on to be front and center and thus will enlarge the object, and crop out the outskirts of the frame


    optical is better quality, digital will let you get *closer*, with the loss of some quality...so it really depends on your plans for the end photo...on your blog, either will be great (with digital getting you closer to the subject), but if you want to blow up a photo for your living room wall, stick with optical

    and the way I remembered it is:

    blog=digital (because, you know, a blog ~is~ digital)

    optical=eyes (because you want to see the photo in person)

    at least it makes sense in my head lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I empathize with you, the adirondack chairs definitely need cushions to be comfy. I have two seat cushions and two pillows sitting on mine, for which I spent alot of money on. Sometimes I remember to bring them in before a storm, if not, dh does. You have a beautiful place to perch. I would have to be dragged back in the house on a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You definitely got those fabrics for a fantastic price! And what lovely cushions you made with them. I'd like to slump down into one of those chairs right now, in the sunshine, with a book..... :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought one of those books of samples the other day, although the pieces are quite small. They are Liberty lawn though. Mind you they weren't as good a bargain as yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your choice of fabrics. It makes the chairs match all the lush beauty around them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your casual approach! We have a creative reuse store nearby and I LOVE it for fabric finds. Maybe I will spiff up my outdoor furniture, too. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks great and really comfy, I wish I had such a patio :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect! Just what you needed, and beautiful too. :)

    ReplyDelete