Thursday, May 22, 2014

Up to Things

DSCF4452a

I clean the house.  See the size of that dog there?  Her hair collects like tumbleweeds.  That lampshade is crooked…

DSCF4546a

I dye yarn with stuff from my kitchen.  This is two balls of Misti Alpaca laceweight and one ball of Patons Classic Wool, steeped in chopped up avocado pits and skins and then steamed for 30 minutes.  I used the remains of eight avocadoes, but the dye could have been a little stronger, I think.  The color it gave these yarns is beautiful, a soft, antique, very gently pinkish-brown, the color of the lace in your grandmother’s bridal veil.  Must eat more guacamole. 

DSCF4820a

I plant my garden, and even though May is almost over, it still feels a little precarious, weather-wise.  It still feels like it could snow.  I nervously put in fourteen tomato plants.  I hope they live.  This is Swiss Chard, called “Bright Lights”.  The rabbit who lives in my yard is really enjoying it. 

DSCF4731a

I plan the next quilt.  This is where the gray will go. 

DSCF4780a

I take this poor old antique cat outside on a harness and let him crouch in the flowerbeds, as part of his daily enrichment activities.  He is much doted upon in this house, and ever since he was bitten in the face by a mean and marauding cat we call Smokey Desperado and his head swelled up like a football, his girl will not allow him to roam unsupervised.  He is retired. 

DSCF4814a 

I knit squares with sock yarn leftovers.  It occurs to me as these pile up that this is 100% a process project.  I really have my doubts that I will even like the finished blanket, but that isn’t slowing me down at all.  These squares are fun, in the smallest kind of way.  They are ever-present and simple and slow.  They are like going for a nice walk.  You work a little bit, but not too much, and you enjoy the scenery and you feel a very minor sense of accomplishment when you get home.  That’s how it is with these squares.  I finish one, say there and put it on the pile, cast on another. 

23 comments:

  1. you seem busy......up to a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, lovely day! Luurve the dyed yarn. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your living room looks so cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you need to start spinning the dog hair and you'd be set! Love your set of four paintings/prints on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cozy and productive and inspiring...dyeing with avocado? You have my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your living room looks like it lives up to its description warm and inviting as camp and cottage above said too. Clinical perfection is only for magazines real life needs to be put at ease and I'd always take a warmblooded furry friend over a pristine surface any days.

    That yarn is gorgeous - pale and interesting. Lol-ing at how kind you are in creating rabbit buffet and the lovely cat looks fab amongst the greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't dyed yarn for a couple of years but your post makes me want to get out my dye pan! Beautiful colours :-)
    Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love your blog, always inspiring with a sense of calm. Plus today you reminded me I had an avocado in the fridge that was about to be past it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried dying yarn but am very tempted to start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I eat avocado toast each morning.....I use 1 avocado a day so I will need to hurry and order some plain yarn so I can start dyeing it. I used to dye wool but I have never tried yarn. I love how yours turned out!
    I love how you mention cleaning.....I think you're one of the few. I just blog what I do..which is like you.....clean, shop, knit and crochet, quilt, sew, plan, cook , garden, yard work and repeat. Your living room looks so nice and boy do I know about animal hair around the house! My house! I love your squares and you must make something out of them...someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your living room! Looks cozy and clean, you manage well...
    your dog is enormous!
    I am yet to get to sock yarn :) Have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come over and chat and knit with you while watching your cat in the plants. It sounds like a lovely way to spend the day, by the way don't clean for me I am used to dog hair everywhere.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came upon your blog only relatively recently, and have trawled back through the posts, delighting in your precise and neat knitting especially, amazed at your yarn stash and the amount of knitting you do, and the chic way you model what you make. I have been inspired to do some of the things also... the hats, the cotton dishcloths, the triangular striped shawl.
    So thank you, from a fellow knitter in Norfolk, England.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend your days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love to have a garden... Not sure how it will turn out for us this year. We are just now getting ready to move to our hose hopefully next week. So exciting... Love the squares and can't wait to see the finished blanket and how the quilt will turn out to be.:) I'm sure it will look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it must be the saying "there" which makes the squares such a satisfying thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet cat :) I'm liking the idea of the process squares ... I'm definitely a process knitter and I can just imagine how rewarding they are :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful relaxing read. It reminds me to take things slow and appreciate the smaller things in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uh a cat - I always get excited when I see a cat:) Very sorry to hear he was bitten by another cat. Poor thing! So good he got you guys.
    I have a cat myself. She is a indoor cat, but I do have a harness for her, so when I get some more energy at some point, I hope to take her outside often. She loves it! Except when she hears a noise, see humans, cats, dogs or cars ;) But as long as none of those apears, she loves it, I promise.


    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kristen. I love your sock yarn squares. Are you carrying the yarn up the sides or doing your magical weaving in as you go?! Happy Sunday! xxx

    ReplyDelete