Sunday, July 6, 2014

Not yet

DSCF5005a

Apart from a tree and some stockings at Christmas, I’ve never really been one to decorate seasonally.  My friends change out all their sofa cushions four times a year, and on March first, they take down the winter wreath and put up a spring one, and according to the calendar they put out their bunny figurines or their pumpkins, but I can’t do all that.  I admire it, but I’m too lazy.  If the house looks reasonably presentable and all the mac and cheese bowls have made it back to the kitchen, it’s enough for me.  I’m just happy when there isn’t any dog hair on the rug. If things look good in April, won’t they still look good in September?

DSCF5007a

Which is why it didn’t occur to me until now that all these soft and muted fabrics, these russets and sage greens and dusty purples that I put together last fall for a quilt that I never got around to until now, might look kind of abject in the sizzling glare of July.  Kind of bland.  They are.  They are completely wasted in this strong summer light. 

DSCF5009a

I made a whole pretty pile of half-square triangles, loving them the whole time, their softness and tranquil beauty, earthy and low in contrast; then I spread them out, and went bleah.  I kept wondering whether I should add some citrine or turquoise, and wanting stronger value contrasts. Then I realized it’s because it’s July, and I picked out all these fabrics last fall.  This is meant to be an autumn quilt.  This is a quilt I will want to make then.  Right now, I want quilts like this:

DSCF5019a 

There, that’s better.  Timing is everything.

When winter comes, I’ll make this one:

DSCF5024a

But not until then.

18 comments:

  1. Like you I don't change my interiors seasonally but I know exactly what you mean about some palettes lending themselves more to different moods and light. I'm not really a soft muted kind of girl but I really like your quilting squares. The colour range reminds me a bit of Alicia Poulson's work and in fact her home too. I have just ordered a kit from her with some Liberty fabric in similar shades which I'm saving till Autumn to work on.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't change much seasonally. It's mostly just my dining room table, and that's only a tablecloth. I really like your fall quilt, the colors are beautiful and soft. I have projects for different times of year too, so I understand what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really do seasonal decorations either but can totally understand what you mean about your quilts. Come the autumn and your soft palette will look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't go in much for changing the decor seasonally. But I definitely see what you mean about the colours in those quilts. By the way - I did a post on my blog about making your strawberry honey pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I change the decor seasonally cause of the colors so different and also the light. I like leaving with the seasons' colors. So I crochet cushions and blankets for each season ! I like the colors of your winter project.... Bye from France !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home decor regime sounds a bit like mine in that there isn't anything resembling a regime - if the I'm not treading on loom bands and kids craft stuff I am a happy bunny too. Good call on the quilt. It is still a winner, just not now. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting as your new scarlet quilt appeals to me right now in the middle of southern hemisphere winter. it has a nice sharpness for summer but it's also perfect for a chilly, not well heated, house when it's frosty outside! Which leads me to wonder if your fall quilt might actually work for spring too. it's the muted in-between-ness of it that suits the transitional seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I think this might explain why the colours I'm working with right now don't seem quite right. The yarn is leftover from a blanket that I love so I know the colours work - it must be the summer light! Love the red quilt, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy with the way my house looks most of the time and don't bother with seasonal decorations other than Christmas tree and few window decorations. I like the muted colours of your autumn quilt. I am not quite brave enough to stray from my favourite colour combinations for my own projects but I do enjoy seeing and learning about other colour possibilities. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am quite a fan of seasonal decorations but only on a small scale. The idea of making quilted throws is amazing...if only! If only I had time and was that good. Yours were a delight to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SSSHHHhhhhh....dont admit you dont change your decor weekly , the blog police will find out...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen, I agree with you about how different the light quality is winter and summer. It's those transitional months of spring and autumn that soften the difference, perhaps mosts because tree leaves come and go.

    Your new quilt looks absolutely lovely right now, but as another comment has already said, I think it will also be great in winter.

    Colors really are fascinating, aren't they? xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I managed to put the flag on the porch for the 4th, but the decorating ended there. I do love your HST's, it's going to be very pretty once you're ready to have a go at it. Ditto for the wintry quilt.
    Now you have a project all prepped and ready to go when the season and the light changes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I'm not organised enough for seasonal changes. I think your quilt will come into its own later in the year. Its nice to have a project waiting in the wings for a rainy day. T x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oohhh. Your winter fabrics are even better than fall - and I'm not even a blue person! Looking forward to seeing more of all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the colors of your winter quilt are just gorgeous!!! Am working on what was to have been my spring quilt. And another quilt in process is a fall quilt. Not sure they will get done in their proper seasons....

    ReplyDelete