Thursday, July 24, 2014

Relish

DSCF5120a

We’re having a spell of gorgeousness, full of filtered sun and frizzy clouds and extra blankets at night.  I love summer, but sometimes it does leave me gasping for breath, both in the heat and in the utter frantic craziness of it all.  I am trying hard to fully appreciate my fantastic luck in having all my adult children under my roof for the summer, before they all pack up and go off to their own lives, so there are many late evenings full of noshing and chatter and me all dark gray and sleepy the next day.   My house is alive with light all night long, and it won’t last, and I am relishing it. 

DSCF5114a

All the knitting looks the same as it did the last time you saw it.  I make incremental headway on everything, and it grows gradually—a couple scarves, a shawl, two blankets, two sweaters,  more pairs of socks than I can recall.  Slow, slow, in blessed contrast to the rest of the hubbub around here.  I’m thinking of the knitting kind of medicinally these days.  The pile of pieced quilt top things is slightly taller; the peace I get from sewing little squares of fabric together by hand cannot be overstated.  Just, yeah.  It’s like a long, deep sigh.  I have read good books lately, and eaten raspberries and fresh eggs.  I have napped in the sun.  My beautiful daughter appeared onstage in a summer opera, and I busted open with pride and joy.  And the little orchid is still blooming, which is heroic and incredible.  That’s what you call worth the wait. 

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are home too and it makes everything extra crazy but fun! Glad you posted the book recommendations, I need something new.
    Summer seems to be speeding right past me. Trying not to think about Fall yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make the most of summer and all your children home together! I like to think of knitting and crochet as medicinal too - especially in the car. Keeps me sane. By the way, I don't drive and crochet at the same time - I only crochet (or knit) when someone else is driving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your peeps are all home under one roof, you can finally breath a big sigh of relief when they are near.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. Enjoying the important things in life.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  6. RELISH it is!

    How I like the English language: "I busted open with pride" cannot be translated at all in my language (Dutch).

    I love to read your posts (always) because you wirite lovely and you seem to really really enjoy your life. Once again in this post, happiness is slipping all through the tekst.

    Enjoy the summer and the children!

    Brigitte from Belgium

    http://homeiswherethedachshundis.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds blissful. I'm always aware of the need to fully appreciate the golden moments with the children as well. I hope you have a wonderful summer. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am all blissed out too, children in the paddling pool, all my scraps of wool gone and just 'nice' wool to knit, wall to wall sunshine. Ahhhh! Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bliss-out post. That is what is so lovely about reading and writing blogs is the capturing of such perfect moments.
    Shauna.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen, it's grand that you are relishing those late hours with your grown up children. I expect that they are also having a fine time in their very own after hours HQ. Perhaps you will be following their lead and sleeping a bit later, even if the sun still rises early?

    Currently, I agree with you that knitting might not just be about the loop-by-loop creating of something, but also has the benefit of sending a certain gentle, repetitive rhythm to our minds. If I could contemplate my breathing while doing knits and purls and yarn overs, I might even think it was sort of mantra.

    Just a bit cooler here in NYC after last night's dramatic thunder storm. Knitting with wool doesn't seem so odd today.

    Oh, almost forgot, having fresh raspberries must be grand. I will visit the farmers market tomorrow morning.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you to have such a lovely summer and all the children at home! I miss mine a bit, they are having their own life now (even one working in Africa now...) but as long as they are happy with their choices it is good.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great (GREAT) summer....those times when adult children can all gather is so fleeting----enjoy! (sounds like you really are soaking it all up!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post. May I recommend a book I think you will like? The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier, set in the US and based around quilts and slavery. I loved it. Have a great Summer, Kristen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous post! It all sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post, made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a magical summer for wonderful memories...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Knitting is medicinal, I totally agree. And just the right amount of it is surely the perfect tonic during a hectic, happy summer ... the right amount being however much you fancy :)

    ReplyDelete