Monday, July 28, 2014

What, another sweater?

DSCF5137a

I can’t stop starting stuff.  This is no way to get anything done!   My sorry excuse is that I like to have the perfect project, perfect for the occasion, and if I don’t have it already, I will go and get it.  I don’t want to be working on complicated lace right now, or messing with forty-row pattern repeats.  I can’t be keeping track of little markers and sticky notes and having a pen somewhere around here, probably stuck in my hair, and also fully chillaxing at the same time, which is honestly what I want to be doing these days.  It is July, and I live for this time of year, spend nine months out of twelve yearning for warmth and sunshine, so I’m way deep in chillax mode.  I’m letting my hair grow and giving the garden over to the marauding hens.  My friend Ethel gave me some of her homegrown blueberries, and we had them in pancakes, for dinner.  Pancakes for dinner is the very best.

DSCF5128a

Sometimes, let’s face it, a girl needs a bit of plain work, for when you can’t be checking a pattern, or constantly measuring something, or hunting down the cracks between the sofa cushions for your embroidery scissors; nope, you need something where you can just go, go, GO, for endless miles.  This is where I’m at right now.  Like a yarn road trip to somewhere mildly interesting.  I’m spending the sunny days being lazy and getting sleepy in the sun, sprawled in a ten dollar bamboo chair with a new cushion cover, surrounded by weeds that are actually taller than I am—and I’ve got a book on one knee and an iced coffee melting on the grass beside me, and simple work is the only way to go.  So I’ve started a Lady Kina, spotted first on Vanessa’s [gorgeous!] Pinterest boards, and using four skeins of Berroco Vintage from the stash.  Plain knitting, for hours and hours, worked while half-snoozing, nibbling apricots.  I am lazier than an old cat full of mice. 

18 comments:

  1. I totally agree there are times when you just have to have something plain to work on - no thinking required. Our blueberries haven't ripened yet. I've put a net over them to try and keep the birds off. Pancakes for dinner is yummy - I do this quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utter bliss. You're doing summer so beautifully. I only ever seem to manage incredibly simple stuff, but I'm quite happy plodding up and down the easiest rows. A family of blackbirds has eaten all of my blueberries this year but I did just eat a fresh fig. Life is good. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds such a perfect way to spend the sunny days!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're making all the right choices for your fleeting summer days! Plenty of time during winter to focus on the complicated stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chair looks very comfy. I agree on having a non-thinking project. I am working on two pairs of socks, which take thought. I am also working of an easy 'dishrag' or 'hippy' shawl. Just knit, YO, knit to the end until it is big enough. It is very nice to take camping or to the lake. I can watch my kids and still get some knitting in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, you most definitely know how to do summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos and beautiful yarn color! I'm all about letting my brain rest during the summer.
    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/07/vintage-pillowcases-and-hankies.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally with you on that one. I have started yet another knitting project but this time a plain knitted baby blanket, what could possibly go wrong?! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this! I've been doing simple crochet projects right now just because I don't really want to have to do anything overly complicated and yet I want to keep working on lovely projects. Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those kind of projects.....just knitting and knitting and knitting and ... xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I totally understand. I have two or three fussier projects to get out of the way and then I have a big, mindless one planned for as soon as it gets cooler out. I can't wait to have it grow down my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for transporting me to your utopian oasis from my stuffy windowless cubicle. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am making a great no-brainer cardigan from ravelry, I will share when it is finished, I am sure it is a style you would like. Top down, just done the armpits and then loads of endless stocking stitch in the deck chair. Mmmmmm. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always pick out the cutest sweater patterns! I really like this one.
    And I want that chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just saw this sweater finished on another blog and it is gorgeous. I am all about easy right now, no stress when playing with yarn is my new motto.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. a knit for all seasons and reasons....that's my motto, too!!!! Can you ever really cast on TOO many things? Of course not....cast on til you run out of needles. (and I have a whole LOT of needles!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That chairjust looks sooooo comfy-I would never get up again!

    ReplyDelete