Sunday, August 31, 2014

Doorways of Saratoga

100_0582a

100_0583a

100_0627a

100_0629a

100_0633a

100_0569

100_0571a

100_0576a

100_0579a

100_0584a

100_0616a

Saratoga Springs, New York:  Home of the Embellished and Ornate Doorway.  Even though I felt like a stalking paparazzo, I couldn’t stop myself sidling up the front steps of every tax lawyer and cigar shop and synagogue and studying the furbelows on their doors.  Where I come from [The Midwest, U.S.A.] a door is a thing that keeps the snow from piling up in your kitchen and the neighbors’ dogs from coming in.  Nobody there (or here, either) would imagine a fanciful doorway like these late-19th century stunners anymore. Arches and marble pillars and richly detailed carvings cost extra, and what practical, fourth-generation farmer spends a nickel he doesn’t have to spend?  Who puts a stained-glass window in the lawnmower shed?  (Well, I would, and you might, too, but city planners would probably not sign off on it anymore for a public building).  So much to gawk at, just strolling around.  A city built for Victorian-age tourists.  We ate gyros in hidden side-street cafes, sipped sulfurous water from antique, spring-fed fountains, bought coffee that tasted hand-crafted.  Walked for miles.  We slept like logs. 

100_0566a

100_0598

100_0599a

100_0608a

100_0630

100_0622

100_0625a

Of course I found a yarn shop.

DSCF5257a

That’s two huge skeins of Great Adirondack Merino, fingering weight, in [perfect, perfect] “clay”.  This is the color of my dreams.  There are over 2,000 yards here, ohmygoodness.  I don’t know what to make, but the search will be great fun.  I think I want a long, fine-gauge cardigan, maybe 3/4 sleeves, for fall.  What would you make with this? 

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place, and such amazing doors. The yarn is lovely, I'm a big fan of nicely flowing cardigans, so your suggestion sounds excellent to me. I'm glad you had such a good time in Saratoga Springs. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the door photos! I seem to take lots of photos of doors when we're away too. Why are they so appealing???
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the interesting photos, Kristen. Sarasota is a destination we never explored when we lived in NY. As for the gorgeous yarn, if I were you I would knit that long, fine-gauge cardigan and have it finished in the shake of a lamb's
    tail :-) Then you can fly out here to OR and cheer me on to finish the shawl I started crocheting over a year ago. It is sitting in a basket next to me and I want to wear it on my trip back to NY mid Sept.-Oct. 6! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice doorways and walking shots. Since moving to Saratoga in 1998, the architecture and scenery never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fabulous photos! I, too, love interesting walkways and doorways and like you come from the Midwest where you don't see them very often. I think you should make that beautiful sweater and tell one and all that YOU made it! Such fun to plan.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful doors! I shall be looking at doorways with fresh interest from now on. I've never been to Saratoga but it's definitely on my list of "Places to Visit".
    A cardigan for fall sounds absolutely perfect, and I love the colour.
    Tasha T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I would make a shawly-lacey-wrapping-thingy with it. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mm, lovely photos! You must come to London; this looks very familiar, the planted pots, too. Looking forward to seeing what you knit. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. A l-o-n-g cardigan, long sleeves with turn back cuffs, and a shawl collar so I could feel that softness around my neck and ears. Will look forward to seeing what you do with it, and love the photos. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those doors are amazing! As for the yarn....definitely a long cardi! Long, floaty with pockets.... x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you tell us where you purchased the adirondack merino? It would make a perfect gift for my daughter! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it here: http://www.commonthreadsaratoga.com/ :)

      Delete
  12. Looks like a nice getaway!

    The yarn is such a lovely color. I would make something classic, that could wear forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saratoga looks like a great place to visit. I love your new yarn. Probably a cardigan would be a good make. You just need to find a nice pattern and then get started.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the door pictures. Reminded me of the ones in Albany. I was especially intrigued with the below the sidewalk entryways. We always had to wander about and look for them when visiting my youngest in college. Thanks for triggering those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool pictures! That first one looks like a door to a castle. Now that yarn - omgosh sounds like you have a lot of yardage- it's going to be dreamy whatever you make.

    ReplyDelete