Friday, September 5, 2014

The Chunk

DSCF5273a

The situation inside my yarn cupboard has, again, become ridiculous.  I have too much.  So I decided to start going about my needle crafting in reverse—instead of choosing a pattern and then looking for the yarn to match, I will start with yarn I already have and then find something good to make with it.  Thus was born this sweater, which I am calling The Chunk.  [I think in the above photo, I have been captured mid-yap—peevishly art directing the whole thing as usual.  I’m probably telling him not to let me look too fat and the doctor, behind the camera, is probably telling me to stand still and stop moving my mouth.]

DSCF5275a

There was an ancient bag of repurposed yarn in the cupboard, from a sweater I thrifted and then unraveled a long time ago.  There was a metric ton of it, and it was chunky and cottony and very soft, but with enough springiness and residual sheepiness that I think it must have been a wool/cotton blend.  I’m sure there was a tag in the original garment with that exact information on it, but (doh) I didn’t save it. 

DSCF5281a

I remembered seeing this a few years ago, and loving how comfy it looked, and how soft and easy.  She wore it with big ribbed cuffs, turned up, and it looked like the loveliest most wonderful sweatshirt in the world.  Inspiration. 

I made something like it, with extra-long sleeves and enough body length to cover the gap and keep out drafts.  As you know, cold weather here in my neighborhood is no joke, so when I imagine a sweater like this one, I aim for maximum skin coverage.  The Chunk is chunky, and it certainly isn’t the kind of garment that sets out to flatter a girl’s figure, but it isn’t meant to do that.  It is meant for comfort.  It’s just what I hoped it would be;  roomy, cottony, soft.    Looking again at Amanda’s sweater kind of makes me want to take out a few inches on my sleeves, but I don’t know.  I always want long, long sleeves;  I like it when they mostly cover my hands. 

DSCF5282a

The Chunk is a do-it-yourself, top-down knit, starting with a 22” neckline and working 9” raglan seams.  Pamela Costello has made a handy design worksheet with the extremely simple instructions for doing this, and I have referred to it a hundred times in my knitting life.  My printed copy of it is totally floppy and dog-eared. 

[I’m so pleased that you can’t see in the photos how the weird thrifted yarn used here ended up being two very similar but definitely slightly different colors.  You can’t see it, right?  If you can see it, don’t tell me.] 

DSCF5271a

The Chunk is kinda making me look forward to fall.

22 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderfully comfy, cozy sweater to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see a colour change, all I see is a really useful chunk that goes with everything. I am really into what goes with the clothes I have already got at the moment. Jo x
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart You! Love your sweater! In spite of having about 3000 skeins in my stash, I just ordered more b/c I wanted a particular shade of gold in a dk cotton/wool blend which, of course, I didn't have the gargantuan stash ��. Doesn't seem to matter how much yarn I have, I never have the 'just right' one. You've inspired me to try to work from the stash rather than the other way around - wish me luck ��.
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely! I just wish it would cool off enough here to be able to wear such a thing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love "The Chunk"! Especially the beautifull long sleeves. Visualizing your hands wrapped around a hot mug of tea while sitting in the yard on a chilly, but sunny, fall afternoon. Divine. Make a chunky infinity scarf and you've got an outfit to take you right into spring. Robin Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Chunk is marvelous!! Well done! I've never thrifter yarn before, must try that some day. I know you'll enjoy your new sweater a ton this fall as it goes with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sweater! You are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great.(as all your work does) ,you must be an absolute whizz at knitting.How do you get things finished so fast.When I read your blog I feel I am on a parallel universe where time must be flying past at triple the speed.I am still trying to find time to finish a cushion cover I started at the beginning of the summer!!I love your blog -and am envious of your speed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really lovely (and beautifully modelled and photographed!) I'm a big fan of long sleeves as well. It's just right, and such a brilliant make out of yarn you already had. Glad to hear it has some residual sheepiness, perfect. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the chunk. I haven't knitted a whole sweater in years. The sleeves are great and I love the big cuffs. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love The Chunk and as much as you love it now you are really going to love it in a few weeks when the temperature dips a bit. It looks soft and cozy and you can't see any difference in the yarn color form here.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. nope...can't see the color diff

    and leave the sleeves...they look awesome just as they are...I like looooong sleeves too

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Chunk looks like it will keep you very warm. You can't see any colour difference, but if someone says they do, just tell them it's the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Classic and fun at the same time ... Lovely find, even better because you are using your stash ( which I'm challenging mysel to do this year ... Yeah right ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! And you recycled a thrifted sweater. This is a win,win Chunk if I ever saw one. You're going to need those sleeves when it gets cooler :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy, comfy, squooshy looking sweater. And using up the yarn stash? Brilliant. No, I can't see the variation in colour from the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look so nice Kristen and the sweater is just lovely. I like the longer sleeves too. I always love a comfy sweater on a cool autumn day. Thank you for sharing your pattern and also the link to the design worksheet..just what I could use.

    This is off topic but I am curious about you head scarf as I like wearing them too. I would love to know how you did yours, is it easy to share? Mine never turn out as nice as yours.

    Again, many thanks...Lori

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super, looks so cozy! I like the long handwarming sleeves :-).
    Happy Sunday! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kristen, I love how your jumper has turned out, it is beautiful and looks so comfortable, what more could you want from a jumper!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous jumper - looks very comfortable. Can't see any colour differences in the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love it and the length in the sleeves:-)

    ReplyDelete