Saturday, October 11, 2014

Cowl Bag Pillow

DSCF5382a

Amidst all the knitting going on around here, I just felt like crocheting something, so the other day I made this cowl (pattern recipe by the always-inspiring Vanessa) while the doctor and I binge-watched the last season of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix.  (No spoilers, ya’ll.) This is all scraps and leftovers—the bright yellow is a remnant of my turmeric hand-dyeing adventure—and I worked it on a US G hook.  This is the perfect fall palette for me right now:  gray and beige and teal and turquoise; butternut, bittersweet, and pumpkin.  Olive.  Warm and soft, but with a little pizzazz, thanks to the turmeric. 

I don’t know what it is about these column-shaped cowl things and my neck, but though I find them nearly irresistible, I always discover in the end that I can’t really wear them.  Everybody else looks so chic (Vanessa looks like Duchess Kate) but I look like I’m wearing one of those cones that keeps a dog from biting his stitches.  I might need to wait for my hair to get a little longer, because right now it just looks like a big pompom on top of a birthday party hat.  (By the way, thanks so much for all the hairdo love.  You guys are so nice.  If you’ve ever tried to grow out a pixie, you know my pain.  Today, somebody said to me, “You’ve changed your hair.  Huh.  It’s…different…”  What, nothing about the black rayon bathrobe I was trying to pass off as a long jacket?  The tiny, mummified frog taxidermy I was wearing around my neck?  [It is October, after all.  I never said I was normal.]  The unpredictable curly-ness of my hair is a little maddening, and I feel like I could so easily win a Bilbo Baggins lookalike contest, but I am trying to tough it out.)  Anyway.  I digress!  The cowl! 

I love this cowl, but I might not wear it.  In fact, it looks tantalizingly like most of a satchel (add a strap, a lining, a vintage button at the top), or perhaps a pillow cover (what could be easier?  It’s the texture that’s missing from my couch!)

DSCF5384a

See?  Lovely, either way. 

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colours. It will look lovely whichever way you decide to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here's another adaptive notion for your beautiful colorful tube. Perhaps line it with something like a silken velvet, and you've got yourself a luxurious muff. Might take you ahead an as yet not detected fashion curve.

    I think it would be amazing. You could even have some pockets inside for cameras and other necessities.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors- so drawn to them in the leafy swirl of autumn. Just a lovely piece, whatever you decide it is.
    One more option (with a little adapting): a hot water bottle cozy cover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely meant for a cushion cover!!!! Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Holland i watch 'How i met your mother' also on Netflix! While i am knitting, its perfect compagnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I think that with your hair color and skin tone u would look wonderful wearing the cowl ... Why not try it first and see how you feel ... If you still don't like it then maybe couch pillow ... But I would not give up on it yet ... I love it so much I think I'm going to try to make one for me ... I saw Vanessa's and was really tempted, bit when I see yours and your colors I think I will definetely make one :) thx for the inspiration my friend .

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't want to wear it maybe you should use it for a cushion. the colors are so autumnal, it could be great for a seasonal stuff. Have a lovely sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a cushion then you can see all those colours rather than scrunching them round your neck. You have a rather nice shout out on a blog called Betsy Makes if you want to pop over and check it out. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, the colours are a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I think this would be perfect as a pillow, especially with the edging you have going on there. Those colors are yummy! I feel your hair pain, growing out a short 'do (or in my case, a bad haircut) seems to take forever. Wish I had some of your curls, as mine tends to lay as flat as a mattress.
    Frog necklace? You could do a whole post just on that!


    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is gorgeous but I understand. Being someone with longish, thinish, kinda gross hair I can't wear cowls or even that many scarves because it makes my hair get in a big knot in the back of my head. Yet I keep making them and keep wishing I was hair blessed.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Frances and the muff idea. Another lining idea would be some faux fur maybe in the palest of pinks or lemon.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure it's only you who thinks you can't wear a cowl. But isn't it great that you can use this as a pillow or bag if you think you really don't want to wear it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous colours. For a cushion. I think it would be very difficult to wear such structured cowl unless you were 6 feet tall. Oh maybe you are! But anyway, it is a lovely cushion. or yes, a bag to jauntily swing through fall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like my cowls to be loose and drapey and to wrap twice, but that is just me :) Love the colors in your cowl and I hope you can wear it one day....or convert it a loved item!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made me laugh out loud Kristen! It s a beautiful cowl, gorgeous colours, and I'm sure you look fine in it! But you certainly have a few alternatives!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kristen, I love your non-cowl!!! ;) I also saw it first on Vanessa's page and admired it, but I like your colour choices just that little bit more..
    Make a bag!
    Have fun, whatever you decide!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love this! Your post had me chuckling, I almost spilt my tea! The colours are so awesome and Autumnal. Did you turn it into a bag or a pillow? I do know what you mean about cone like. I made one last year and it was made on a small hook with a stiff yarn and it looked so funny! I'm guessing the key is really soft snuggly yarn and a slightly bigger hook so it drapes more than it sits up. I've been wearing mine a lot and it's flopped right down, which isn't a bad thing. I'm still laughing at the image of the dog cone..........! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors you have used. Will look great on, or as a cushion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cowls ...i sort of look like i should be stood at the side of a cauldron, dont even get me on to infinity scarfs

    ReplyDelete
  21. These colors are so pretty and fit well with the season. At first I thought it was a cover for an iPad or notebook. I laughed too at the dog refrence.
    Birgitta xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now I dont know what I want to do first, quilt or crochet.....your projects are beautiful. I have been caught up in drawing instead of making things that might be useful. I have to get my sewing machine out......thanks for inspiration. WIll be following
    Janice

    ReplyDelete