Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Color Block Crochet Scarf

DSCF5451a

I made a scarf, and now it is freakishly warm outside, not that I’m complaining about that for even one microsecond. The sky looks like it wants to dump buckets and leaves are flying all over the place but it’s kind of warm enough for shorts.  I want to open a window, but leave the fireplace burning…odd.   I do not understand this season, nope, I do not.  I don’t know what to do with warm and gloomy.  Anyway.  I got a little bit temporarily fed up with knitting the other day, and I just felt like I wanted to crochet something, so I scrounged up five skeins of worsted weight wool and made this scarf (the recipe is here).  I used a US G hook and Ella Rae Classic in 101 (heathery denim) and 124 (squirrel brown), Jo Sharp Classic in 911 (lovely olive) Patons Classic in Winter White, dyed by me with avocado pits to be sort of a pale sienna, and Berroco Vintage in some kind of navy heather—the ball band for that one is lost.  I’m sorry, I can hardly keep track of those things even when I’m trying really hard.  I don’t know what that’s about.  I think you could make this scarf in a day if you didn’t get too interrupted by life.  With life-related interruptions, give yourself three days, no problem. 

DSCF5457a

It kind of made itself, while I was busy having a flashback nostalgia freakout watching a whole bunch of episodes of Welcome Back, Kotter.  (The theme song from that show!  Right?  Or is it just me?) 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! Wow, it turned out lovely!!! (It's been also on my to make list, from the moment I first saw that dottie angel blog post!! I got as far as making a swatch and saving it on ravelry)
    I love that blue, so bright and the lighter green!
    Did you make yours very long?
    Well if you are too hot wearing it, can i borrow it, pretty please? ^^
    The temperatures here are dipping! Luckily for me that means I get to wear all my scarves, woolly hats and wristwarmers, yay!!!
    Enjoy your retro tv watching!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Back Kott-air!!! Loved that show and all the characters. Your scarf is lovely and looks so soft & cozy. Maybe too warm to wear it today. It was weird here today too, with a heavy muggy wind really stirring things up by the afternoon ... sort of tornado weather. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love your craft, is beauty, I love a colors, I follow your blog, hugs from Brazil.
    Visit my blog - Tita Carré - free patterns crochet

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty! must learn more crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Kotter - that's a blast from the past! Fun thing to crochet to, though. And a great scarf - maybe you could wear it with shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scarf the colour combination is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours of your new scarf. It isn't really properly cold here either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warm here too, I am using the screen doors. Wishing for cocoa, a warm fire and a color block scarf. Yours turned out super. "Squirrel brown" sounds so cute, I would have chosen that color just for the name, without even seeing it first.
    Have a great week!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuck it is warm here, well I know it is Florida but I actually got to wear jeans last weekend and I was soooooo happy. Now it is shorts and a big headache from the humidity. Love your scarf.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the pattern. I saved it because I have some bamboo and cotton balls that might be good for this scarf. Yours is very nice.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, love it and Welcome Back Kotter:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your scarf, it looks really cosy and the weather for it will certainly come. The stitch is interesting - doesn't look like crochet at first glance. I'll have to look the pattern up and add it to my long list of projects to do one day :) xxx

    ReplyDelete