Monday, December 15, 2014

Stockings

DSCF5645a

I am in a very plaid mood right now.  I made these stockings the other day, because in spite of us all being grownups around here, Santa is still coming to my house (if he doesn’t look like Tim Allen, I don’t want to know about it, ya’ll) and also because honestly, the attic is so full of stuff that it was frankly easier to make new ones than to find the old ones.  I’m not even kidding.  Besides, these are plaid, and it was fun.  I also threw all caution to the wind and decided, finally, to go ahead and hammer some nails right into the mantel so they could hang properly.  Why not?  It’s my mantel, and nobody will mind but me, and I don’t mind. 

DSCF5647a

I drew a vaguely stocking-ish shape on a big piece of paper, cut it out and pinned it to a thrifted wool plaid skirt (avoiding the seams) attached a little piece of (also thrifted) handmade lace (I know, right? ) and a gingham lining, and stitched it all together.  It took hardly any time at all, and now my mantelpiece looks like Christmas at Balmoral, if I squint a lot and use my imagination.  Since Tim Allen Santa will be filling these, I made them wide and useful, but I think they’d be great all long and skinny and elf-shoe-shaped, too, with a pointy toe and a jingle bell on the end.  Maybe I’ll make some more. 

In news from the Cheer Up department, looky:

DSCF5628a

That there is my Mother’s Day orchid, getting ready to bloom again.  You know what?  I can’t even.  It is like a hug from the universe. The halls are decked; the gifts, in an unprecedented feat of efficiency, are finished and wrapped, and I have made Ina’s Pot Roast, which smells so good it makes me swoon.  In a week or two, there will be flowers, which seems like the work of fairies right now, in the middle of the dark side of the year.  Pretty nice.  

24 comments:

  1. The stockings look wonderful, I love the lace on the top very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! Reminds me of a friend's blog where she said her test for all home decor is: "would this be found in an English country home?" The post (with her new stockings) is here: http://quietudeblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/december-whirling-in.html

    I was going to put off making new stockings til next summer, but you all have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving those plaid stockings. I wouldn't mind hammering a nail into my mantel either, but my husband would have a COW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stockings, I particularly like the one on white, but then I love everything tartan, so!
    Great that your orchid is preparing to bloom too, it's incredibly nice when our plant friends make us gifts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balmoral needs these stockings! They are so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just made some stockings myself and put the on my blog too :-) Love this time of year. And stockings have to be hung on the fireplace, it's The Law here in England ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean..I had to go out and buy a new paper punch simply because I could not find mine....shame on me! thank goodness it was only a $1 at (where else?) the dollar store. LOL!
    I love your stockings and I adore your curtains! I've been looking for lace curtain just like that....can I ask where you got them? They are perfect!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! My curtains are, like almost everything else in my life, thrifted. :)

      Delete
  8. How interesting that you call Tartan 'plaid' Very nice stocking indeed. You can buy orchid food to feed your pretty plant in this growing season and they also like a warm bath(stand it in some warm water and splash it over the roots), maybe once a week, since the roots are aerated. Can't wait to see the elegant flower. You're very organised. I, on the other hand, am not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is tartan and plaid the same thing? I don't even know. "Tartan" is not a word much in use here in the US, alas.

      Delete
    2. You say potato, we say potaaaato!! Yes, as far as I am aware, they are both the same thing but with different names in each of our countries and no, it doesn't really matter what we call it, it looks fine and dandy either way! :-)

      Delete
    3. Forgot to add, that particular pattern you used for your stocking is called the 'Stewart Dress' Tartan.

      Delete
  9. Love that bit of lace on the plaid, so very Christmassy. Just had a Santa Claus movie marathon last weekend. Love #1 (my favorite) and 2, but 3, just okay. Tim Allen is an amazing Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family's stockings don't match. My husband and I still use our stockings from our childhoods. He has asked me to make him a new one (bigger), but I refuse to give up my tacky stocking with two plastic elf faces on it! I like the plaid, and have been leaning towards something like that for my husband ... together with a burlap cuff (maybe). Nice to see you have an orchid coming into bloom, so exotic :) Enjoy the rest of your week! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen, in the midst of my own version of time-challenged December, seeing your beautiful post has been very uplifting. I love the look of those upcycled stockings on your hearth.

    Now...back to my cookie baking and card painting.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh I'm so into plaid too! Just can;t have too much. My Mom loved using it during the holiday too1 Love your stocking and wondering why I didn't think of it? l love the bit of lace on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I made my little girls wide stockings too - I mean they need to be useful don't they? I'm all for nails, Go Kristen...Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your stocking look great. I have some knitted ones that I use every year but they are really hard to hang up. My mantel is limestone so I can't hammer in any nails!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your plaid stockings - the lace adds such a beautiful finishing touch.
    Also, I can't believe your Mother's Day orchid is ready to bloom again. I love orchids but I can't seem to keep them alive. My last one, which I had a lot of hope for, just keeled over! Any suggestions?
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a happy post....giggled at the....it's easier to make new stockings than to find the old ones! (One year I spent the better part of a week trying to find the stocking-stash-place!) I have an orchid ready to rebloom, too.....gives such promise for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your stocking looks lovely and plaid is so in right now. X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for popping by Kristen. I always love reading your blog, and getting knitting ideas... your photos always have me itching to start something new. All the very best to you and your family for Christmas and the New Year, and I look forward to another year of your posting.
    Best wishes, Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great stockings, looks like Christmas can now arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your stockings are lovely!!! I need to make my poor children some this year. They've been going for too long without homemade stockings and I don't want them to end up leaving home never having had them!!! I'm putting it on my list right now!!!

    ReplyDelete