Thursday, January 15, 2015

Creep

 
O Lemongrass. How utterly you have infiltrated my life! The way you creep into everything and make yourself at home is both endearing and also a little irksome. What if I want a soft, neutral palette? Huh? I know, I hear you, that's not your problem. Your aggressively searing yellow-ness has inched its insidious way into yet another project and dominated it. There is no other word for it; you have bewitched me. I love you, I love you, I love you.
 
There is much more to tell, and we (Lemongrass and I) await our moment in the photographic sun. This garment (I guess you'd have to call it that) is a pretty epic fail. But I love some parts of it, so much. The sleeves and body came off the needles with lightning speed, and colorwork section was a creative, if knuckle-crushing, thrill. I want to throw seven or eight colors into some part of everything I do now. Ideas spring like dandelions in the garden path.
I did run out of yarn, halfway up the mahooooosive cowl collar. Aargh. But the doctor scoured the universe (okay, he literally stopped at a yarn shop on his way home) and found another skein. Yes, Plymouth has discontinued "Galway Highland Heather, color 745" but they totally still make the EXACT same yarn, now called "Galway Worsted, color 745." So they lost points for that move, but gained them all back again when the new skein flawlessly matched the old yarn I've had since 2005, and which has been a whole sweater once already. Bravo, Plymouth! But. The finished object, however. Fail. I promise I'll show you, but, just, ugh.

 

26 comments:

  1. Glad you found some more of the yarn you needed and the parts of the garment I can see look fab, love the colours you've used. Sorry to hear you don't like the finished object though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks really nice, love the bright burst of colour, sorry you are unahppy with itxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colorwork is so lovely! Are you sur there's no way to salvage it? Don't you know an oddly shaped woman who might love it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame you are not so keen, its looking lovely and I love the burst of yellowgrass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, that combination of colors has such a beautiful glow...the contrasts are so subtle, with just that bit of lemongrass to set the drama in motion.

    (Please do not feel too badly about whatever it is that is distressing about the ... garment.)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a shame if you don't like the result! Your colour combo looks just like a misty winter's day, with a warm glow of light. Kinda echoes your top photo. I still can't work out how you knit. so. FAST! Love your posts...Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemongrass and yourself seem to get along quite well,
    or is it just appearance?

    Nice pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful piece of work. Made for a good blog post, even though you can't wear it.
    Bummer - all that work! Can't turn it into a pillow or something???
    Lemongrass is the new black. Goes with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen that color in the Paton's wool, is it a new one? I'm not sure about it, but the work in your sweater is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks so beautiful! i love the lemon yellow too, it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those yellows looks sooooo good with gray!! What a beautiful sweater you are making! Inspirating... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know about the whole sweater, but the colorwork is simply stunning IMHO! Amazing job! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no how annoying, glad you solved the problem tho! These colours are so pretty, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry it's a fail cos it looks wonderful! Is it completely unsaveable - is that even a word?????? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steek it into a bag or something? Too pretty to frog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could all of that gorgeousness fail???? I would be crying.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kristen!
    I totally adore all the colours! It looks great to me!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love your colour work. I used to do it but find I pull the yarn too tightly and so it all puckers up. This is beautiful work though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ditto to loving your color work. I, too, just finished a sweater (I rarely make anything for myself) and it is such a HUGE fail! My knitting friends all claim it is "just fine" and looks "so comfortable." So, yeh, a big fail... oh well. Sending empathy and sympathy your way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunningly beautiful so not a fail in my book.Love the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  21. This fairisle is lovely. Great colour combo, even if it's lemongrass. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooo! I have been collecting patton wool one color at a time to make a stroller blanket... maybe I need to add lemon grass to the mix!?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Kristen, I was blog hopping and found you. Love your colourwork and blog. Thanks for sharing the link for the extra sleeves link. That is sure on my list. X

    ReplyDelete