Sunday, March 8, 2015

Getting it right

I joked about making a spreadsheet for keeping track of my too-many projects, but then I did it and now I feel better. It's actually just a list, but somehow doing that made everything seem more collected and orderly and made me feel like I might get around to all of it eventually. Also, it reminded me about this hand-pieced quilt that's been in progress since last summer and which I kind of forgot about. I could have been keeping the winter heebies at bay with this. Forehead slap.
It also suddenly seems possible to finish this pink cabled thing, although I'm totally winging it at this point and the result could fall anywhere on a wide spectrum ranging from awesome to disaster. Taking a break from it was a fine thing, because I feel like I can see a clear path to the finish, but you never know.
The sun is shining right now, but not before it did this earlier:
That drift is eight feet high. Focusing on the good stuff--I went out last night with friends and there was Guinness and coziness and a pair of guitar players with sleeve tattoos and beard stubble, who played "Blackbird" and that Jason Mraz song that seems so impossible. It was shoulder to shoulder in the tiny pub, and we had to essentially make out with people just to get to the bathroom, but spending a couple hours six inches away from your friends, yelling the choruses to Blues Traveler songs and wallowing in 90's nostalgia while a Christmas-like snowfall blankets the streetlights is not bad for a Saturday.
I just heard a big chunk of melting ice slide off the roof. Progress.

13 comments:

  1. Live music, friends and Guinness at a cozy pub sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening. I like the idea of making a list of all your projects, at least everything is on your mental radar. Glad to hear the snow is shifting - soon it will be melting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a great fan of a list, I just love ticking things off as I complete a task it makes me feel good. All that snow...I thought spring was on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All in all a cracking weekend then. Music, progress, lists, thaw (for now) al sounds pretty good to me. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, today's NYC weather presented us with a huge change. Maybe we will have no more snow. As you know, we turned the clocks forward last night to get to Daylight Savings Time, so it was still bright at 6 pm. If this keeps up (and I think it will) we might even see all of the icy snow mounds melt, and spring flowers feel bold enough to start their show.

    Your pink cabling is going to be a winner! Promise.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive quilts waiting to be finished that are over 10 years old...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that pink cardigan is gorgeous, so much work has gone into it and I'm sure it will be fine when its finished and if not you can always send it to me! Ha xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is some snowdrift - missed having snow this year (obviously this is a bad case of the grass being greener etc but...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aahh your pub night sounded perfect! The "pink thing" looks pretty cool too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The night at the pub sounds like the perfect way to lift your Winter spirits.
    Love the pink sweater.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guiness and music and friends is good medicine for the winter blahs. All that snow gives new meaning to the word "pub crawl", ha!
    Just look at that orchid! Spring can't be far off....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great evening and was something you needed! I have a list of projects I put together last July for a group I am in on Ravlery called A Year of Projects--but I am feeling the need to update and start another list with all my great new ideas.....I find it pretty satisfying ticking things off a list! Your pink project is lovely-my favorite shade of pink.
    Hope the thaw continues and Spring pops its head up in your area soon...
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy your photographs. We, fortunately on the west coast of BC, have had no snow this year at all. In fact we have had ski resorts CLOSE due to lack of the white stuff. Fine with me, but we have had rain, the ground is sooooo wet that the grasses are dieing from being too wet.
    Love the sweater, it will look wonderful. The evening treat of Guinness and guitars sound like just what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pink knitting - looking forward to seeing it finished. Such a lot of snow! I'm sure you're glad it's starting to go.

    ReplyDelete