Friday, March 20, 2015

My Marilyn

This all began when Marilyn went to the dentist. I resolve not to bore you with any more of my frustrations. This innocent little project has been such an undeserving magnet for them, and my whining bubbles right to the surface with every roadblock I encounter--and I'm still encountering them, even though this pullover has been finished for a week, and worn with much success and approbation. There is a photo of me wearing it, but I can't...there's a Ravelry page for this project, but it won't...this is my version of my good friend Deb's reverse-engineered Marilyn's Cabled Pullover. The short version of the story is this: Marilyn, a tiny little lady with a lot of style wore a practically child-size pullover like this to her dental appointment, where Deb, the dental assistant, went into swoons of admiration over the detailed cable and eyelet stitch pattern that criss-crossed the whole entire store-bought thing. Marilyn later loaned Deb the garment, and Deb went over it with the thorough coverage of a forensic scientist, photographing it from every angle and making copious notes. She swatched until her fingers fell off. She measured. She tried a bunch of different yarns, figured out how to make a chart (or nine) and then carried the project back and forth with her everywhere, working on it in public and in our weekly needlework group meeting (where I work on things like garter stitch blanket squares and plain socks and lately also the eternal seed stitch wrap, which makes no discernible headway whatsoever) and meanwhile, Deb was there with her millions of charts and papers and markers spread around her, and she still managed to keep up her end of the conversation, all the while knitting and ripping back and re-knitting and by god figuring it out. She spent six months doing that, and then she strolled in one day, wearing the dang thing. I am in awe of the skills it takes to look at an object this intricate and decode it, and then not only to do that but to write it all down coherently enough for a dolt like me to follow it. I did my best. Hers is way better. You should look it up in Ravelry--she's DKattheCove. I wish I could link that for you, but it won't...
 
You might like to know that the yarn we both used is Lion Brand Wool-Ease--mine is Blush Heather. The color of that is pretty much perfect.

25 comments:

  1. I bow to both you and your friend's knitting/designing prowess. I am now worthy to look at that sweater. It is ridiculously beautiful. You would have loved the Edinburgh Yarn Festival last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just beautiful!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and amazing! Wish you would change your mind and post a photo of it on your body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are photos, but they are inexplicably trapped. Yargh!

      Delete
  5. A true work of art! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true family heirloom.. bravo! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a think of epic beauty. I can't imagine the engineering and knitting that went into making that into a pattern and then knitting it back out again. Kudos to you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out gorgeous!

    {{am I the only one who thought the post was going to be about the puppy by the title??}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing. I am in awe of anyone who can knit such an intricate thing, never mind dissect it from its original, and write it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely I tried to look up DKattheCove on ravelry but to no success

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's real knitting brains there between the two of you. Wear it with pride. jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow....that puts 'labor of love' into a whole new category!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so impressed! I think of myself as a knitter and have had a go at many things but I am such a novice. There is no way in the world I could do something like this! Something to aim for perhaps. And I love your patchwork in the previous post too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am extremely impressed! I always say I'd much rather figure out a sewing problem than put together a puzzle because then I have something to wear/use at the end! Some people play Scrabble and put puzzles together, I sew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I have tried various searches in Ravely - dkatthecove, marilyn etc, just cannot find it anywhere. Can you help with finding her link please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to log in at Ravelry first, then you can search her in "people".

      Delete
  16. Wow it is amazing. I think both of yours are just incredible. I can't believe your friends ability to take a sweater, make patterns and charts and make it all work!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woohoo!! You did it!! :) I so admire your tenaciousness :D The knitting is fabulous, as is the engineering required to write the pattern. Kudos to both of you!

    Jilly :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think marilyn is very pretty. She could live at my house if she doesn't want to live e at yours anymore ;)
    Love the story that goes with the jumper pattern. I don't have the patience or skills to tackle something like that right now - perhaps when the kids are bigger and less demanding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! Deb, I'm in admiration for you like you wouldn't believe! It looks stunning! X

    ReplyDelete