Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Perfect Swing Not-Bathrobe Cardigan


This is why I keep knitting garments. I have accidentally knit the exact cardigan I have always wanted. This is one of those life-altering pieces of clothing; do you have those too? I once had a (fake) fur trimmed suede jacket, covered in embroidery for which I paid more than I could really afford at the time, and which wearing made me feel exactly like the saucy and stylish girl I totally felt like I was inside. The kids called it my "wookie-fur coat" which brought things back down to earth a little bit, but adding a pair of boots with a stacked heel to that jacket was like lighting a dessert covered in brandy. I just felt like all was as it should be, with a lot of pizzazz on top. It feels good to know yourself, and to know what you want, and then to know how to make it happen. Friends, I made this cardigan like a boss.


I always begin with high hopes for every project, and there is almost always a lot of doubt in the middle of things. These sleeves look too big! This color doesn't go with anything! The classic: I'm going to run out of yarn! (They aren't. It does. I didn't.) I wanted a long cardigan with a relaxed fit and wide sleeves, but that didn't fit like a bathrobe. Usually this means I end up with a bathrobe. Not this time--score!


This is the yarn I bought in Saratoga last fall, an indeterminate amount of fingering-weight 100% merino from Adirondack Fiber Company in "clay". I realized as I wound it that this yarn had probably already been knit into something else, unraveled, re-skeined, and then sold to me as new, because one huge skein (tied with Silky Wool, you can't fool me) was intact, and the other came off the winder in eight different pieces, and also the label was handwritten in ballpoint pen, all of which might have been actionable had it not been on sale. I was a little mad, but not mad enough. Anyway, it was still lovely, even if I had no damn idea how much yarn was really there and so many more ends to weave in at the end than the four I was expecting. 


This color matches my pajamas, and also the pink velvet chairs I thrifted last fall. It is one of my personal colors, dusky and nebulous, gray/pink/brown. Mushroomy. 


Also, once again, I have to testify to the almighty power of blocking. On the needles, this thing was stumpy and dumb. The hem landed just below my waist and swung there like an inner tube, and the sleeves were just about 3/4 length, but wide and baggy. It was sad and weird, and it took months to get through the sleeves, because it was really hard to have faith, but I love blocking and I believe in it. Blocking transforms. 


I wore this yesterday, and never once did I tug on any part of it that didn't fit quite right, because every single thing on it is absolutely perfect, I think it's one of the best things I've ever made. 

Here's what I did, and what you can do too:

1. I measured around my neck at the place where I wanted a relaxed neckline to be, underneath the ribbing. (Call this number A)

2. I chose my needle (US 4 circular) and my yarn (fingering weight) and made a swatch. You cannot avoid this step, I'm so sorry. I know swatching is nothing but misery, but it's your only hope. Wash and block it if you can bear the agony. 

3. I accurately measured the number of stitches per inch in my swatch (call this B) and multiplied A x B to get C=the number of stitches to cast on at the neckline. (I would love to share with you that exact number but I started this in September and I forgot.)

4. Use your favorite formula (here's the one I use) to figure out where your raglan seams should be. Mark them and start working stockinette stitch back and forth, increasing twice at each raglan seam on every right side row, and also at the front edge every inch or inch and a half.  Do this for a long time. At some point, take a break and measure your own self again, this time from the front end of your collarbone to the middle of your armpit on the same side--that is, where your raglan seam is going to be. This magic number is your "raglan length", and it is what determines whether your garment will be tight, neat-fitting, relaxed, or bathrobe-ish. Imagine the garment is on you as you measure, or measure a garment you already have that fits the way you'd like this to fit. 

5. Knit until your raglan seam is the length you want it. It'll take awhile. Use this time to learn Swahili, or get caught up on Breaking Bad. When you get there, put all the stitches for the sleeves on waste yarn, cast on two or four stitches at each armpit and keep going. Be thinking as you work about where you might want to add some increases at the sides. This depends on your own shape--I am pear-shaped, so I know I'm going to need more stitches in the body of this thing as I creep toward the derrierre. You can probably try it on as you proceed. Keep checking your gauge, and counting stitches, and doing the math to make sure you're on track. Remember about blocking, too--at the gauge I got, on the needles and yarn I used, blocking was going to add significant length, and I was counting on it. Remember that the looser your gauge, the more it's going to grow when you get it wet. 

6. Keep knitting down the body, increasing if you need to at the sides to accommodate your body type, and increasing at the front edges every eight to ten rows, or every inch, or every inch and half, whatever you feel like. This gave the cardigan fronts a nice swinginess, and also ensured that it would wrap all the way around me with some overlap. 

7. Continue increasing every inch or inch and a half or whatever at the sides and at both front edges all the way to the bottom. Then add an edging--I used a non-pulling ribbed edge of my own devising--I worked *6 rows of k2, p2 ribbing, then four rows of garter stitch, repeated from * two times more, then bound off. 

8. I picked up umpty-zillion stitches around the whole front edge and worked the same rib pattern for four repeats, and then bound off. This took forever. I probably went a little nuts. 

9. I put the held stitches of one sleeve on some dpns, picked up and knit the cast on stitches at the armpit, and continued merrily in stockinette stitch, going around and around for a lot of old movies on Netflix. I threw in three decrease rounds (k1, k2tog, k to last three sts, ssk, k1) spaced out along the length of the sleeve, only because I was beginning to worry about the width, not that decreasing by six stitches made much difference. When the sleeve was somewhere between my elbow and wrist, I switched to the rib pattern and worked five repeats. (Remember, this is where all your data about your gauge will help you. It's how to know when your sleeve is long enough. How many rows do I get per inch? How many inches is this sleeve already?) Try it on as you go. Remember about blocking--it will grow in length. After five rib repeats, I bound off, then made the other sleeve the same way. 

10. Soak the finished garment in tepid water. Roll the garment in a big towel to remove a bunch of water. Spread it out flat and shape it to your measurements. Get these measurements by measuring yourself. Wait patiently for it to dry. That's hard. You can do it. 

See? Easy. Try it. 

25 comments:

  1. I am so glad it turned out the way you wanted! It is lovely and the length looks so good on you :) On of these days, I shall become brave and actually move on from knitting scarves to something I could wear on other body parts! Although I still get the shivers if I think about knitting socks on 4 needles! I feel faint :)
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a project. Designing as you go - amazing! Great photos - is your photographer The Doctor? Cute doggie. Glad to see the snow almost gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE the boss!
    That someone can knit something my measuring and going and increasing here and there is absolutely beyond me.
    I love it. Not my colour, but totally my shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous Kristen. You are so talented. This sweater looks divine and it fits perfect on you. Gorgeous color and beautiful pattern. I have never made a sweater that fits perfect on me. That is probably why I like to make shawls better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful sweater. I can't imagine designing a sweater or anything for that matter. I'm an expert at following directions though.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, very impressive. Love the shape and the colour, what a talented woman you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen!
    This cardigan looks so amazing on you! Sounds like all the hard work you put into it has really paid off!

    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful.......simply beautiful. :-D
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cardigan and gorgeous dog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is the perfect fit, all these measurements - not sure I kept up with all of them - totally paid off! Well done you! Very cheeky of people to sell yarn as new when it has been used already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is absolutely gorgeous....and mind-bening...man I wish I could get the hang of knitting


    ReplyDelete
  12. You ARE the boss! Gorgeous, perfect sweater. If it had been on a rack, I'd have bought 3. Love your blog. . . . may love the dog more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous sweater..love the style and the beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A cardigan recipe! Yay! Will be trying it very very soon..... xxx ps Am loving your description of "mushroomy" ... perfect. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristen, you've definitely created a cardigan that is just perfect for you. How generous you are to also share the "recipe" with us with enough bravery, patience and curiosity to take on some knitting from the top down fun. GoGo seems to also like being around that cardi...of course, it's you she wants to shadow.

    You've really done some very fine creating during that whopper of a winter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I'm reading this, with a cup of tea after a particularly strenuous day at work, I'm resting my tired feet on the EXACT same cane stool as you have in the corner there! I bought it because it reminds me of one my Mother used to have in the 70's. It's a tiny world really, isn't it! Thanks for the schematic on the cardi. I'm knitting a bunch of stash yarn into some kind of cardigan just until my new crochet book arrives and want a nice raglan sleeve so I will use your wise instructions when I eventually get that far! Beautiful cardi and I love the colour. You did a marvellous job, again. I love your little doggy too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am utterly amazed by anyone who can knit & design. In my dreams, I am able to actually support myself by designing things, but never in my life have I done it. You do rock! Maybe I'll use your tutorial as a way to get a jump start!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, the perfect cardigan! That truly is a wonderful achievement. Finding one in a store is a big enough deal, but designing and knitting your own? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The perfect cardigan, something we all strive for but very few people actually ever achieve. Yours is gorgeous and well, perfect!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to be a knitter like you when I grow up. Your sweater and your pup are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this sweater and do indeed knit, however, I am not that good at measurements and hate going through so much to get it right. I love how dedicated you are to a project. I would love to do this one but am confused already. Thanks Julie, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect indeed, this is exactly the cardigan I need in my life. Beautifully made, well done you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful cardigan! Love the detail around the edges and sleeves. I have also enjoyed your progression with the log cabin quilt. Plus I can never pass up a chance to see darling pup photos. -Robin Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ficou lindo e vestiu muito bem!

    ReplyDelete