Thursday, March 19, 2015

Quilt squares and distraction

 
Log cabin quilt squares are so much fun to make. I just cut all the fabrics I want to use into 2" strips, cut out as many center blocks as my plan requires, and start sewing. I know it's time to stop making log cabin blocks when the cut out center squares are all used up--without that cue, I could just keep on going all day and night and into the next day without getting tired or bored, because they are really fun. I sort the strips into piles of light-ish and dark-ish, which, as you know, I find challenging. There are always those fabrics that fall in the middle and seem to me like they could be either light or dark, and of course you know I can't really see that distinction very well without a black and white filter, but this is a scrap quilt, so I don't really care about it that much in this case. I just think a scrap quilt looks good no matter what you do. Then I just start sewing the strips to the center block, working clockwise, and cutting off the extra length as each strip is added. It goes so fast, you could easily get this done in a day if you weren't distracted by life. (I know, good luck with that.)
Actually, I'm a little distracted about this quilt (and other projects, too) at the moment, because:
 
 

 

There's a new friend here in the cozy things cottage. This is GoGo. Oh my goodness, that new dog smell. She smells like clean laundry and new mown hay and sunbeams. Her pink lips! Her transparent ears! She fell asleep underneath the table and I almost finished the quilt squares, but then there was a wet nose against my foot and that was just it. She is utterly delectable.

 

28 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt, and GoGo looks like she will do just that, once you get her out in that fabulous garden of yours. Such sad eyes in the second photo.... nice company for you whilst you craft though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt, and GoGo looks like she will do just that, once you get her out in that fabulous garden of yours. Such sad eyes in the second photo.... nice company for you whilst you craft though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and such a sweet little dog. Great company for you while you sew.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw GoGo so cutecute! Enjoy the company. Bex x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those quilt squares are such a delight and are growing so quickly. The sweet little dog she is gorgeous with those big sad eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable!! As you can tell from just glancing at my blog, I'm a dog lover through and through. There's just nothing better than a dog. That's why I have five. I'd have more if my husband wouldn't run away screaming. Love the log cabin quilt you've started too. I will never be a seamstress, but I like seeing other people's makes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the log cabin design. I have always wanted to do one in crochet but haven't got up the nerve yet. GoGo is adorable. She will be totally worth the distraction.
    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilting project! Cute dog.. did you rescue her? I adore my little Cairn, but he is getting older.. that is scary. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a sweet little friend! Life will be so much more fun with her around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are nowhere without out furry friends, big and small. They just make such a difference to everything. I would literally be talking to myself without my little cat. Your new arrival looks lovely, such a soft and gentle face.

    Yes, life always gets in the way. When I am in the zone I would really prefer not to stop to eat or cook food for anyone else either. But you know you have to.... Your quilt looks fabulous but then your quilts always do. I love the fabrics in this one. Soft and pretty, comfy and homely. Just a a proper quilt should be.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. I imagine you are quite busy at the moment then! I never will wish to have a dog but I admire those that do. Happy days. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Log cabin quilts are beautiful. But, even better you got a new beautiful dog! Congratulations. I do hope your snow has disappeared at long last.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My namesake!! She's adorable! Your quilt is going to be beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! Those gorgeous fabrics! That cutey, sweetie face! Pray tell more! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word. That SOULful face.. I'd have it kissed off her head, by days end. Love your quilt too, but I love evrything you do. Enjoy that new baby. I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And just like that, presto you have a new best friend who will love you no matter what. Love the gorgeous quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristen, what a pleasure to meet GoGo and to also see how your quilt grows so quickly. How old is the adorable GoGo? I love your description of a certain little nose reminding you of life beyond quiltdom.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Happy Days a new little furry friend to snuggle! GoGo (love her name) has a sweet face and looks like she'll make the perfect quilting/knitting companion.
    All those calico prints are making me swoon. Now adding a scrappy log cabin to the bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. She's ADORABLE! I have a feeling your next project will be something for her, when I had my cats, they had little cat quilts and beds, blankies, mousies...spoiled! Enjoy creating, and GoGo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The New Quilt will surely be a Beauty....
    Happy to learn you've welcomed a new little furbaby!!! Gogo is just lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful new addition to your household!!! LOVE her name too as Gogo in South Africa is the Zulu word for grandmother or "wise old lady"!!!! Perfect. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, is it really? Well, I like the name even more now!

      Delete
    2. Me too, that's wonderful! Something for her to aspire to--right now she's a squirrelly little puppy, but I look forward to some wisdom showing itself one day. :)

      Delete
  22. Love the quilt...but the puppy ... Oh she makes me so happy for you. Adorable beyond words. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love a scrap quilt and you are the Queen of Scrap!

    Congrats on the new fur baby.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh welcome sweet girl! I love her freckly mouth. She is darling.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  25. a dog can do wondrous things for the inside of a person

    ReplyDelete