Monday, March 23, 2015

Quilt top and dog

Scrap quilts never fail me. I get such a kick out of so many things about them--the economy of using the smallest pieces of fabric I can, and the way the colors blend together as you step back, then reassert themselves as you peer closely. The re-appearance of leftover scraps from earlier projects; hey, I remember that skirt/those curtains/that dress. This is the finished top, still un-sandwiched and unquilted, and hanging in the kitchen doorway with the light glowing through it. It pleases me so much, how that looks. There are a million two-inch strips leftover, too, so another quilt is probably hot on the heels of this one, maybe one with even less of a plan than this. Alicia has begun work on one that inspires. I'm in search now of a wool batting and a good, soft backing fabric. The backing never used to be a big deal--I think I just used the cheapest available muslin on my first twenty or so quilts (even if the top was mainly dark, which gives me the yarghs now) because, you know, it's the back. Who's going to see it, right? Well, I am. So now the search for the back fabric is a thing, and it has to be soft, too, I suppose because I'm getting to be a princess and everything has to be just so. Anyway, the back of a quilt is a huge canvas, just like the front, so it deserves some attention. Sometimes I piece the back a little bit, too, just to make things interesting, but it has to be sooooft. I have so many demands. I can't wait to start quilting this, using my usual huge utility stitches. Maybe sitting outside, with my little dog beside my chair, sleeping in the grass. This dog, honestly. She is so great, I can't even believe it. She's walking me half to death, which I obviously need after a long miserable winter of sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself, and she naps and plays and works and cocks one ear at me. She took two squeaky toys completely apart in twenty minutes yesterday. She sneaks onto the furniture ve-e-e-r-r-y slo-o-o-wly, just in case that will work. She gave the Sad Eyes treatment to the barista at Starbucks on Saturday and earned herself a free cup of whipped cream. We're all in love.
Look at those lips. Kisskisskiss.

21 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt top!! " the freedom of limited choice" I red somewhere and it stuck with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt top a real delight and that dog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt...but...what is the little dollie's name...????

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful quilt.....and the dog is just as beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved a log cabin quilt. Lovely. Oh and that doggie.....adorable!
    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt and smoochable dog. I have an old star quilt that I bought at an auction.. it's amazing and all hand stitched. I just put up a post of my trip to a tulip farm.. come on over if you have a chance. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt top is gorgeous and so is the dog! Adorable face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made me smile - both quilt and doggy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. —and here I thought it couldn't get any better x - x - x - x - x

    lovin' you + your mooch :::::::::The Go-Go GrrrLs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What utterly smoochy lips! I'm so glad that you two have found each other. I am captivated by small patchwork these days - I wonder why! I love the unexpected color pops, the economy, the rediscovery of beloved fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new pooch is adorable with that pink nose and sunlight through her ears! What a joy x Bex x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really enjoyed this entry. The quilt is fabulous. I am assuming that you adopted this little fellow? The dog I mean. :) What is his name and can we see a full body shot perhaps. I love the colour and his face is just adorable. Happiness is a home with a dog. I have four small dogs myself and I wouldn't be without them. The helped me through all kinds of things these past years.
    Look forward to getting to him now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love peeking into your life! Cozy is the word. I have been a crocheter, knitter and embroiderer for as long as I can remember (my mom started teaching me when I was 7 or so, and now I'm 41), but reading about the quilt you hand stitched last summer stuck with me and now I'm doing just that! I always get frustrated with my sewing machine, so stitching by hand while watching TV after the kids have gone to bed is so nice. I didn't have any scraps really, so I picked up a jellyroll made with Kaffe Fassett fabrics. I love it! :) Lots of love from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is absolutely a kissable nose!! So pink and soft-looking...just made for kissing. Your quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristen, as I use any of my own patchworking notions for patching existing cushion covers, I must tell you that I completely connect to your wish to use all sorts of tiny bits of fabrics to create quilts such as the one you show here, and would also share your wondering about the in-between layer and the backing.

    Someday, perhaps, I will set sail on such a project.

    Meanwhile, may I again send best wishes to you and to that pup with the lovely eyes.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, I love your crochet, is beauty, I love this colors, I follow your blog, I have a blog about crochet with free patterns and free crochet diagrams, visit me , hugs from Brazil.
    Visite meu blog - Tita Carré - Crochet

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is just perfect. Hanging it in the sunlight to be admired is a bonus.
    I can already picture it with the big quilty stitches, puffing around the wool batting, aaaahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I was going to mention your quilt but then I see another picture of your gorgeous girl and now that is all I see, she is a sweetie.
    Hugs, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awwww what a lovely doggy face! I've recently had a new cat. It's a little complicated, but myself and my partner (who don't live together) adopted a couple of kittens and their mum. When he moved house I looked after them all for a bit until he was settled and in that time one of my own cats died. So he had the kittens in his new house and I kept their mum and she is just the most awesome cat ever! Affectionate, placid and only slightly insane. She covers her dodo up with things. Socks, string, toys?! It's very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have raised an important issue..Thanks for sharing..I would like to read more current affairs from this blog..keep posting..
    hundefoder

    ReplyDelete