Friday, March 13, 2015

Springtime

It's been a moody week. I ripped things out, started things over. I worked on a few squares for the never-ending sock yarn leftovers blanket, because they are easy and brainless and they make me feel like I'm getting someplace. I'm reading every book that crosses my path, all at the same time. I'm going to hang up some shutters, which I have resisted because I really want unfettered windows and also I hate to dust them, but then I think about Key Largo (both the movie and the place) and remember again that I love shutters. They feel tropical. I'd hang a rattan ceiling fan, too, and it would turn slooooowly and lazily, except the ceilings around here are so low we'd all get capped. I love that shadowy southern thing, though; the lazy fans, the deep slanting sunshine, the fluttering white gauzy curtains, the plantation-style shutters keeping the heat at bay. You can tell where my head is these days. The [finally! melting!] snow has filled the creek and also broken a valve on the sump pump, resulting in a very un-cozy basement flood, but also in one of those lovely neighbor things where people keep their heads while you're freaking out, and remind you not to wade into the swampy ice water in case you get electrocuted, and bring over extra trash bags and offer to call the fire department for you and stuff. That's why I live in a small town, right there. My neighbors are great. The doc got all the pilot lights re-lit, and I spent the morning mopping floors and re-washing all my laundry. The sun is shining, and I finally had that feeling that we have made it through; the flood, the long winter, the dark. Somewhere under those rotting drifts of gray snow, there are daffodils.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my what a week! Here is to dry basements, 9 we don't have basements in Florida) knitting that behaves, clean fresh laundry and the end of a hectic week. Take good care of yourself,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to finding the daffodils soon. Hang in there. Spring is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow what a week you have had. I love small towns for the same reason. Im glad you have everything sorted and cheers to warmer months ahead and sunlight!

    Birgitta xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a week, indeed. Here's to wonderful neighbours and thankfully Spring is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, well, there's always some loveliness in the chaos even if sometimes it's only the loveliest of thoughts. :) I do hope things continue on the warming trend there. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's melting, it really is! I love your posts Kristen. They make me smile whatever the emotions running through them. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. "rotting drifts of gray snow" - what a perfectly-turned phrase!

    I love those shutters so much. I would put them on our windows in a heartbeat and dust them, but our windows are so enormous (old victorian house) that the cost is indecent. I adore that Southern vibe, too (and we do have the soaring ceilings for the floaty ceiling fans, but the ceilings make you wretched in the winter when all the heat goes up there and hangs out).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Spring! Even though you've had a tough week, it sounds as if you've reached for the good things. I would love living in a small town where everyone knows your business. I grew up in one. Help was just a shout away at anytime. I do miss that. Love your shutters.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! for melting snow and kindly neighbors! Love the crochet like throw on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, and the new header pic is lovely. I want that goose stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen, I agree with you about this winter having been around long enough. The cruel incident of the sump pump give a certain punctuation of this ice and snow. I am glad that you and yours have got things going again. Yes...daffodils will be showing up soon.

    I took a walk over to Central Park earlier this week, on a relatively warm day, and was astonished to still find the place so black, grey and white. I'm convinced that by next week all will be much improved on the spring arrival front.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Kristen. I just spent some nice moments reading your blog, then clicking on "older posts", then clicking on the next "older posts" until I read lots and lots of your posts. I like how you write and your photos and.. everything! How I wish my husband would wear a kilt! Anyway, I'm going to add your blog to my blog list so I won't miss anything. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The end is in sight Kristen!!! Spring is on its way I'm sure ..... Sorry about your flood - been there and done that so I know how you must have felt. Small towns are the The Best especially in a crisis.....xxx ps LOVE your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Canada Goose stamp! Love it!

    We were out birding this morning under a pall of low clouds and a few drips. However, it was 65 degrees. Very comfortable. The birds were out in force claiming nesting territories and even battling when needed. I kid you not- a hummingbird, a house wren and an acorn woodpecker all arguing over the same spot in a tree. Hilarious! Love your posts and pics. Debbie, Northern Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like Spring is starting - welcome to the change into the nicer bit of the eyar

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is the downside of winter bowing out to spring, the residue of time's passage in the form of the excess water that we'll have to rid ourselves of. It's quite a bummer how the melted snow have drenched your basement and have soaked a lot of it. Although you can always flush that out fast, as you have done. Anyway, it's great that everything turned out fine. Thanks for sharing that! All the best!

    Mildred Mclaughlin @ Better Basement

    ReplyDelete