Monday, May 11, 2015

Carry-All: a soup story

Because I am a hippie and also because I have a child in his second year of architecture school (cha-ching!) we are a one-car family. So I walk everywhere, and I needed something to sling over my back that would be big enough to carry all the usual stuff mom carries in her purse, plus a sweater and a book and an apple and my knitting, but I didn't want it to be so big that it looked like I was running away from home. Anna at Noodlehead designed this bag, which was perfect. Hers is full of very sew-y details and pockets and stuff, but as you know I am an impatient little magpie and just wanted a big enough bag, and I wanted it right now. I made a very simplified version of the larger tote, using a piece of gray corduroy from the crafty thrift store for the exterior, a really pretty but too-small skirt (also thrifted) for the interior, and a belt that came with a pair of pants I no longer have for the strap, which seems extremely thrifty. I made my usual leather loop closure and used a bargain bin button from the stash. It worked great, and everything fit in there. Everything, including... (cue fateful music) dinner.

Here's what all was in the bag: wallet, keys, sunglasses, phone, earbuds for listening to podcasts on phone, gum, apple, little container of almond butter, two interiors magazines belonging to Michelle, two paper patterns for sewing raincoats for dogs belonging to Robin, and a book. Oh, and a quart size zip-top bag full of chicken noodle soup.

I know what you're thinking! Honestly, I completely agree with you. We've all seen the commercials! We know those bags are supposed to be strong! I saw a lady on television fill a zip-top bag with spaghetti and shake it upside down! Friends, listen to me and learn from my mistakes: do not believe everything you see on television. People in my house were dubious about my putting a bag of soup into my purse, but I was in one of those confident hurries where we just needed to mobilize so we could get everyone out of the house in order, and heads were shaking, and people were saying they hoped that zip-top bag of soup wouldn't open up inside my purse, and I was saying, "It's fine, sheesh," and then they were saying, "I smell onions" and "what's that all over your lap?" and "Your purse is full of soup, and not in the way you think it is." Things, nice things, things belonging to other people and loaned to me in good faith, were floating in soup. Inside my purse. My beautiful daughter, visiting from Philadelphia just in the nick of time to witness her mother's latest caper gone wrong, could not stop laughing. She did not say "I told you not to put a bag of soup into your purse" but she surely was thinking it.

So I had to wash it already. A couple times.

 

28 comments:

  1. Just catching up with your last few posts. Giggling a lot. Love that I'm not the only person who does this kind of crazy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny!!!! Love the bag though. I downloaded the pattern and will give it a try. What a great idea to use a belt for the strap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly made me smile. Do love the bag though a great make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny, I liked the line, "I didn't want it to be so big that it looked like I was running away from home." We all can identify with that, LOL
    Nice bag and Happy Sewing!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrilled I'm not the only one who pulls these stunts! Wish my escapade had only been with good-smelling soup! Love the bag! And as for the comments from your birthday attendee, if that's you modeling the bag, she's touched in the head for certain! You and I are the same age, and you still have that bod-a-bing thing still going at full tilt, honey! Hope your Mother's Day was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Kristen, now you can add another attribute to that marvelous bag...it's washable! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. And it looks really really good for being sooooo clean!!!! Don't think of the whole 'soup thing' as a mistake .... just a 'moment of learning'....! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of those things where we all now say 'it could have happened to anyone, honestly' whilst making a mental note to not combine soup and handbags.... looks like it washed well though

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious . . . this so could have been me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious . . . this so could have been me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't lived in the States in years, but I remember that commercial. You'd think they would stay closed!! But obviously......

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg that cracked me right up! Love the bag too :) I understand your pain. Remember the old Corell dishware that was so cheap, and everybody had some in the 70's, and they were advertised as "non-breakable". that's BS. We tried it. It burst into a million pieces, then we had to explain to mom why we were one plate short. You make me wish I could sew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'Bag of soup in your purse' is not a combination of words I'd ever expect to come across :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it nice to know that you can provide gleeful entertainment to your family? I'm glad the new bag survived, it's very cute, especially with the big button closure. Good thing it wasn't chili or spaghetti sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your story!!

    I will go on the record saying the Hefty bags with the locking tab thingy are worth every extra penny they cost. Those bags would hold soup from here to the moon and back.

    Spring for the freezer bags for extra security.

    But a bag of soup in your purse is still quite a fun tale!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant story! I carry soup in my bag a lot - but it's usually frozen and once I get to work the tub sits dripping onto my desk as it slowly defrosts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh I must be your long lost relative from Australia because this would be something I would do and your lovely bag looks like something I would own.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Been there.. done that.. kinda. I put a paper box container of Cole Slaw in my purse! Yes, it tipped over and leaked all over everything. But I did learn and I've not put any more drippy saucy things in my purse ever again and I wager you learned the same lesson. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bag of soup in your purse is great! I, too, in a thrifty rush put a plastic container (not good tupperware but something I purchased lunchmeat in and saved) full of sauerkraut in my backpack for work. Leaked all over my notepad, magazine, and library book. And soaked through the bag to leave a vinegary puddle on the floor under my desk. Did not learn my lesson and did the exact same thing with salad dressing leaking out of a plastic takeout container. I finally spent the $4 to buy a stack of Gladware containers that actually seal. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kristen! Haha, thanks for sharing your funny story! I love your bag! It's great to have a custom bag that is just right for you. I sewed a tote bag 2 years ago and it's still going strong! I pile everything into it!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful story and I love the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Surely your friends will laugh at your adventure with soup. I had a good chuckle at this post, I know your daughter will bring this up for years to come.
    Hugs and nice bag,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kristen I love you so much! You just make everything so funny, you are brilliant :o)
    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for this - it's even better than I imagined it would be :) And it's the kind of thing that becomes part of family folklore. Love the bag, especially your use of the belt for the strap. I'm tucking that bit of wisdom away for later, along with the "no ziploc soup in purse" ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now I'm remembering a Ukrainian Easter egg class (you work on raw eggs) where a teen lost control of her half-finished egg and we all watched it drop neatly into her mother's purse.

    You are a brilliantly funny writer, and I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My sister and I call these our "Lucy/Ethel" moments and fondly chuckle about them later.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is sooooo funny. Cute bag . I love reading your stories. So entertaining.

    ReplyDelete