Friday, May 22, 2015

Matryoshka doll and catdog

 

My dear friend Hilde has sent me the most lovely matryoshka doll, hand-pieced in patchwork and embellished with buttons and beads. I love it so much, and can't stop looking at it. Hilde's stitches are so tiny and immaculate.

 

I love the heart-shaped lips. The velvet ribbon, sprinkled with tiny beads. The little rose at the temple. Hilde is so talented, and her work is so bright and beautiful. She's an inspiration. The pattern for this doll is included in her new book, Zauberhafte Lieseleien, which you can find here. It's in German, and I hate to admit I can't read a word of it, but it's worth it for the pictures alone, and templates are all included, so you can probably figure things out.

 

The little beads on the edges of things are so wonderful. If you're the sort who, like me, loves to spend a whole afternoon with your workbasket, tinkering with the details of one pretty little thing, I think you'll find much to love here. Hilde sent me the doll and the book (and also some beautiful, mushroom-colored yarn!) for my birthday, and I'm telling you, I just want to dive headfirst into the scraps and beads and start making stuff right now.

 

 

In other news, there is crochet in progress, and a new striped pullover, and we've decided that this dog is half cat. She's a catdog. She gets up in the morning only long enough to look for a sunny corner to nap in. She can flatten herself out completely, like a bathmat. She sits with us, but only if she feels like it, and she doesn't particularly care to do what we ask, nor walk on a leash, nor act like she can even tell you're talking to her. She watches birds out the window, flicking her tail. She wakes up from a nap to go to bed, and once she's asleep, picking her up is like lifting a loosely-packed, forty-pound bag of warm flour. I thought she was the one and only catdog out there, until I told my friends my findings and they all said, "Oh, yeah! I had a catdog once. She chased birds, too, and pretended she didn't know me." It's a thing. Catdogs.

 

 

 

18 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful gift. That is one cute catdog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your catdog is adorable - and I suspect so grateful to have found a wonderful home that he (she) is just soaking in all of the love. So tender. I'm smiling. I have the opposite of the catdog - I have a shadowdog. "Oh! Excuse me" she says, as he butts his golden head into the bathroom door to open it. "Did I leave the room without you for 10 seconds?"
    Your German friend seems hugely talented. I LOVE the doll and the beaded flowers. No problem translating talent!
    This is the season of pink yarn for me too. I'm working with Carol Sunday's "Nirvana" in shell pink. Heavenly describes it.
    I hope you had a glorious time on the Vineyard. I go to Nantucket in Sept and I've been dreaming about it since I left last fall. I need to make a beach glass quilt.
    Have a wonderfu Memorial Weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog often makes me smile, sometimes, when you tell about your grown-up children, it almost makes me cry. Your story about the selfmade Sauerkraut was great! I Have never tried to do this, because I can buy it in cans. I´m from Germany and have two sons (14 and 12 years old). If you like, visit my blog "Frau Meisenkaiser". Kind regards, Anja

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have cats who act like dogs, greet me at the door, roll over to have their bellies rubbed, get excited to go outside, follow me from room to room. It's nice to know it goes the other way too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that pink yarn - and the multicolor one next to it! Love...sigh....
    What a sweet riot of a doggie! We had a toy poodle once who didn't want to walk on a leash (or at all really). So I would carry him around the block - LOL!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cat dog is cute and snuggly. The doll really is gorgeous. You're inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The matryoshka doll is wonderful, so much detail. Lucky you to 're dive such a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings Kristen!
    Josephine aka Josephina Ballerina is a was probably a dog in a former life because she sure did not know how to be a cat when we got her little self. Since I worked from home for 12 years, all my cats got used to walking outside with me and following (mostly) voice commands. The neighbors think it's a riot. Josephine says your catdog is acceptable to her.
    :) m & jb

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so funny! I have a dogcat. She fetches, goes on mountain hikes with me (not on a leash), follows me around the house, and basically begs for my attention 24/7. I could use a catdog sometimes! I would like an animal that spends more of its time napping than demanding I throw a toy for her to catch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loveliness abounds! I have a deep obsession with matryoshka anything. And you notes on catdog made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh such a lovely gift, you must be in Heaven. Love the catdog story. Have a great weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful doll that you received and the book looks like it has some very fun things in it. I wish I could read German! Love your cat dog!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What exquisite handwork on the doll and flowers - your friend is very talented.

    "Catdog" - hee hee ... She is a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The doll is wonderful and the book looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How funny, because I have dogcats! They come when they're called, understand and respond to the word 'no', walk on leads, and follow me from room to room like little lost puppies. They will forgo patches of sunlight to sit on the sofa with me. They even play fetch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss catdog sounds like she knows what she wants. Looks like she's also part couch hog like my dog.
    Love your little softie doll, the details make it special, and the book looks like a good one. Your friend must be very talented.
    I could stare at that yarn all day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every now and then it is an advantage to speak German :) Thank you for (yet another) lovely blog post - Carina.

    ReplyDelete