Thursday, May 28, 2015

Sky drama

It's warm one day, cold the next. Blue sky, then it pours for ten minutes. Dramatic. I spread a quilt on the grass the other day and lay there on the ground, arms spread, as the clouds gathered and darkened, rain sprinkling down. The dog sprawled beside me, snuffling and chewing the grass. It was warm, even without the sun, so we stayed there, getting lightly dripped on, dozing. Summer. I love it so much.

 

I'm working on this striped pullover, in Berroco Vintage DK and Malabrigo sock. It is slow going, but slow is my pace this time of year. I knit a row, scritch the dog's perfect ears, knit another row, kiss her on the nose, knit some more. She snores a little, I close my eyes for just a minute...

There's another quilt happening, too. Quilts kind of overtake me in the summer. They seem like a warm weather project somehow. I kind of want to make every quilt I see right now.


This one is in low-volume scraps + gray. I think it looks like the world outside my window these days, which is so appealing--rain, sun! Rain again! Wait, it's sunny now! The clouds glide by in a big hurry, the sky behind them is blue, blue, blue. Warm wind, so lovely. Laundry on the clothesline flaps dry in five minutes. Have you seen Lynne's latest project? It's right in the sweet spot between orderly and scrappy. I want to start one just like it immediately, which is no way to get anything done. One quilt at a time!

 

15 comments:

  1. Today is alternating between heavy rain and bright sunshine. It still isn't very warm yet so no lying out in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your summer days sound perfect. I need to get outside for some cloud watching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen!
    I also subscribe to the One Quilt at a Time Theory. Life became so much happier when I finally, really realized that I am a Deeply Sequential Person. Oh yeah. Your dog does seem to have perfect dog ears. I crochet the way you knit: stitch, kiss Josephine, stitch, rub her tummy, etc. Have a little patio I sit out on in the mornings while I keep an eye on Miss J's garden wanderings. Have to be vigilant about heat and humidity sneaking up on me. Have MS. Heat + MS = badbadbad. This is why I live in coastal Maryland. Because it's so dry in the summer. Right.
    Anyway, enjoyed your post as usual. Come see my Wordless Wednesday post of Josephine if you are so inclined. Four pix. A little story.
    Happy Thursday to you fro m & jb :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idyllic, sounds like a wonderful summer. Whilst the sun is shining it is still too cold to sit out for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had late afternoon showers almost every day for the last week. We need the rain, but not in the thunder boomers and downpours. Gentle rain is heavenly.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please send us some of your rain! It has been cloudy here and warm, but very little rain which is unusual for Seattle-actually our whole Fall/Winter has been unusually nice but I miss my normal Seattle! Your quilts are lovely--and you make me want to just dive in and make one myself. I think I would be apt to quilt if I knew would have the money at the end to pay someone else to actually do the quilting and binding!
    Keep enjoying your sky drama...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like English weather! Looking forward to seeing your knitting and the quilt. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your intro to Summer sounds peachy. We sped past it, right into hot.
    I like where the gray/low volume is going. I need more of those tiny floral, light background fabrics. Okay, I "want" more of those kind of fabrics.
    Thanks for the link missus:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weather is weird here in the UK too at the moment. One day gloriously warm and sunny, the next day, really cold and grey. I'm having to layer a lot, and thick socks are still in use.

    Your pullover is looking awesome. I love seeing your knitty creations! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt looks lovely, so excited to see how it looks when it's finished!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy weather here too. Funny, I see quilting as a winter thing. I think yours looks great and I had a peek at the other one too - inspirational. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weather is so strange for the time of year, I don't know whether I am coming or going. Your pullover looks great, I love the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete