Thursday, June 4, 2015

Marathon, step one

 

I don't know why I can't work on small things. All the projects are enormous right now, and this right here is the beginning of a blanket, knitted in garter stitch. For crying out loud. I love/hated working on this, so much stultifying, calming, meditative garter stitch, and I hung up some new curtains that kind of made me want something like that, only different--not extremely different or anything--and just like that, I was at the yarn shop. They start so painlessly, these enormous things, and it's only later that they become arduous and you feel like you're in mile 23 of your marathon. The sock yarn blanket has got that way--mile 23, and I'm climbing a big hill--and it only now occurs to me that this means I have two garter stitch blankets on the needles at the moment, and it makes me wonder whether somebody should feel my forehead.

 

It got absurdly cold again for a few days and so I did what I always do when I feel chilly and instead of putting on a cardigan I already have, thought to myself, "I need to knit a cardigan" and drew a scribbly doodle representing the one I imagine. The hunt for the perfect cabled cardigan is one of my lifelong projects, apparently. They continue to elude me, but I will never stop looking. I just want something that covers my derriere and doesn't expose my wrists and will meet at the front, without being big and square and shapeless. But then the sun came out again and this hasn't progressed any further.

 

 

I made a pillow cover. This is utility crafting at its very best--this was an old, stained, linen napkin I have either had for years or else thrifted, I don't remember, and last fall my pal You-Definitely-Wish-She-Had-a-Blog-Michelle and I dyed everything we could find in a bucket of indigo, and this napkin was one of those things. It was September, and everything we made turned out perfectly, but it all looked very summer, so we (mostly she) commenced to cover everything in plaid and put the indigo goodies on a shelf until now. For the backing, I used a piece of nubbly, oatmeal-colored upholstery fabric from an IKEA slipcover that I bought in their discount section for ten dollars.

This dog thinks all pictures are supposed to be of her.

 

Maybe she's right.

18 comments:

  1. Kristen, I've also got a long-term wool yarn project on the needles now, and am glad that it turned a bit cooler in late May into June. My knitting speed picked up somewhat.

    Your cushion cover is a beauty...and Go Go clearly knows a good photo opportunity!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just made the perfect cable cardi .... http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rustique but i made my a size smaller so it's more fitted and I wear it almost every day! See what u think.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that one is great! I love the shawl collar. :)

      Delete
    2. I absolutely love Ankestrick's Naima: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/naima-2. It's either short or long, with or without a hood - you decide. (Great blogpost by the way. Again. Thank you).

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of knitty things on the go at the moment because I try to be a season away from where I want the stuff! I was making a corker of a summer dress in February - but I am definitely wearing it on Saturday instead of staying in from the sunshine and making one!! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cushion is a real delight, love the colour and your pooch is gorgeous with such beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your gingham blanket. I'm off to find some yarn to start my own 'marathon in stitches'. Love your dog. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your dog is the bee's knees. If I didn't live in another country in another hemisphere I might try and bribe her away from her snuggly nest. Actually I don't think she could be pried from this nest for anything. Great cushion cover and the juicy orange candles look great with the blue saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hands say knitting is Not ok,
    They barely like that I crochet.
    So I use one hook instead of two,
    Then sigh and admire what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A poem!!!! New best comment ever. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm working on this cabled cardi-- I like it because it's shaped (not blocky) and just so densely gorgeous.

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/blackberry-cabled-cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that dog. I'd be kissing that dog every minute of the day. That dog's soul shines from its eyes.
    Anyway - the cardigan issue. You just purely summed up the problem that I have - ALWAYS searching for the perfect one. Let me know if you find it and I will do the same.
    P.S. I thought that I had nailed it with Baby Cocktails " (Thea Coleman) CASSIS, but I was wrong ... or, I used the wrong yarn. Take a look at her work - it's gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking of another garter st blanket too. I made one for each of my kids (grown up now-sniff) and on super cold nights they wrap up in it and then get into bed. It traps the heat and is SO warm. They have named the blanket "The Precious" (any Hobbit fans?). I think you will enjoy yours come January. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so totally get this.....I have some lovely spring/summer type projects in progress (a shawl/scarf, some mitts, socks, and a little whimsey shell) and yet, I can't stop reaching for my blanket. This one is just a baby blanket, but I'm already looking forward to casting on another. Thank goodness a niece just announced her pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG the dog, hahaha. That picture in the chair is perfect. I bet she didn't even move when you ran for the camera. I think your knitted blankets/cardigans are amazing. Keep going.
    Love the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how I can relate to that! I have a zillion BIG projects going and now I am trying to finish something...anything!
    My cat has done something very similar to several chairs of mine. I love your pillow...it turned out gorgeous.
    At least I don't feel so alone now. Maybe we could start a support group?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seem to keep starting mostly big or very big projects. Love the cushion cover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete