Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer morning with cherries

The cherries are really not ripe yet, but I can't help eating them. They are tangy and small, bright with almost-cherry flavor. There are so many that even after we've eaten our fill and the neighbors have been over with their ladder and all our friends are begging us to stop giving them cherries, the birds will still get half. I don't really know what to do with sweet cherries, except to eat them and eat them and keep eating them, fresh and straight from the tree, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between. Which seems fine, really.

 

There is much to do, so many things to knit and sew and crochet, but this is what we are doing. I eat cherries, spitting the pits off the porch into the grass, and she watches birds through half an eyelid, in between snores.

This blankety-blanket grows in spite of myself, because it is as plain as it comes. I know I keep saying this, but dang. This is the knitting for me. There is no wondering whether it will fit and flatter and if I will ever wear it and do I even have anything to wear it with and what makes me think I even need another pullover anyway...no. None of that! Just back and forth, sitting in the sun, eating still-tart cherries and thinking about life, and about how the boy--my Boy--has turned TWENTY now, and is really not a boy anymore, and what a wonderful, daring, clever, adventuresome, hilarious, grown-up man he is now. But I remember when he was no bigger than a football; a tiny, red-faced gnome with tremendous lungs, snuggled up sleeping in a sling like a caterpillar in a leaf. Now, he goes off to work in the morning wearing a jacket and tie. My boy, still.

 

19 comments:

  1. Where does the time go, they certainly grow up so fast. Beautiful looking cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your cherries! Sweet cherries are the easiest fruit to can. Then you can enjoy them all year round. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did can some of them a few years ago, but they looked like blanched eyeballs floating in blood, so nobody ate them! LOL! Must've taken a left somewhere in that recipe...

      Delete
  3. My GRANDboy just turned seven. How the he!! did THAT happen?? I need a cherry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, lucky you! Hey, come on over, and bring a pail. :)

      Delete
  4. My older son is 15, finishing up his freshman year in high school. Yesterday as my newborn niece slept peacefully in the crook of my arm, I thought about how it felt like my own two boys were that size just a moment ago. *sigh* Time really does fly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherries at the market were 5.99 for a smallish bag, but I couldn't help myself. Yours look divine. I'd love to come over and spit pits quietly with you and the snoozing catdog. So peaceful.
    My son just turned 31. My baby. I still cannot believe that my 10 lb baby morphed into this handsome 6'4" firefighter. He is my hope - he makes me believe that there is good in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet lovely post, all of the good things are in there. Happy Birthday to your boy/man. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, this is a lovely post that does catch the charms of some relaxing summer days. Snoring dogs. Cherries fresh from the tree. Bit of simple knitting, in the shade. And musing about the passage of time when you see your son off to work in suit and tie.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Relax and enjoy the memories. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This all sounds so great. I can't imagine having so many cherries. They're very good for you, of course, so keep eating them! We got about 4 cherries on our tree last year. I noticed them one evening and when I went to pick them the next day the birds had eaten them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aargh, birds! There's a catbird (no relation to Catdog, ha!) already working on the fruit at the very top, which is where I can't reach anyway, so he's welcome to it, but I've got to pick them all quick now, before he brings his whole family over.

      Delete
  10. Great post Kristen. My boy/man is the same age and I'm in awe every time he comes home for a visit. So proud, we mothers.
    In my dreams I would love to knit a blanket on the porch (or anywhere for that matter) I think you said you cast on about 300 stitches on size 7 needles. How long of cables are you using for a blanket that size?
    Cat/dog looks to be the perfect knitting companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a 24" cable, so the stitches are somewhat crammed, but not uncomfortably so. :)

      Delete
  11. What perfect summer days you are having! This year our cherry tree has its first fruit and oh boy are they yummy. I have 3 boy/men, and I can surely relate to your thoughts. I am so proud of who they are becoming and I love hanging out and talking with them. :)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a perfect place to be, enjoying cherries, think about your lovely children, your boy/man growing up to be so wonderful and your darling girl/woman off on her own. Wonderful thoughts to have with a full belly, sun and a nap.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too ... the simple angst free knitting, and the grown up boy, but not the cherries, I've yet to taste my first this summer.

    My boy (24 years old, one of two) was lamenting discovering a few grey hairs at his temples ... what?! It's surely only five minutes since he was a toddler with fair curls. And my girl (again, one of two) became a mother herself six weeks ago. Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete