Thursday, June 11, 2015

Utility

 

This quilt top is lagging. I am easily distracted, lately by things that are so much more pedestrian: how to deal with curly hair when it's humid? Why does the washing machine keep falling into the sump pump? Where did all these walnut trees in the hedge come from? [answer: squirrels] There are four freezing and rainy days for every one summer day, which seems unfair, but there's no point in raging about it. I stood on the porch in the dark last night, watching the wind and rain lash at the cherry tree, sure the half-developed fruit would be all over the yard in the end, but nature is wise and cherries are meant to stick to their branches until it's time. It's almost time, too; I can hardly wait.

I also spent about ten minutes on a boring but necessary project:

 


In utility crafts, I have made a pillow cover for the dog's bed, from a thrifted tablecloth that had also spent some time as a pair of curtains, because I purely hated the original dog bed cover. And also because I got new curtains, but I still wanted to look at this fabric. It's all utility crafts right now--I worked on the garter stitch blanket for hours this week, through about forty-hundred episodes of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown [I'm hungry...] and it still just looks like a tiny strip of knitting, just a couple inches wide. I love it when they start to look blankety, but that's a long time away.

 

9 comments:

  1. I just wrote and maybe lost my comment on the cherries. At the risk of being redundant ... we once enjoyed a mature cherry grove until they were bulldozed by a troll of a contractor. One remains and we are finding unripened fruit in the gardens where the impatient chipmunks leave them. I want to plant more.
    Your cushion is fine, but I panicked when I did not see the catdog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiii, I see it, too! The EMPTY BED... no, Catdog was just asleep elsewhere (the chair, all taken apart again, probably) when I took the photo.

      Delete
  2. The fabric used for the dog bed is very pretty. I love it when I can recycle fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made an ironing board cover this week when my little one spilled hot chocolate on the last one. Needs must... Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not even had a second to knit or crochet, my summer is turning out to be all about work, when the heck did I get so many patients? They sort of crept up on me and I can not say no to a medical foster parent in need. Love the pillow cover and catdog of course.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. You find such pretty fabric. Can't wait to see your quilt progress. I'm wanting to use gray as a neutral at some point. Do you ever sell your thrifted, vintage fabric? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OooooOooo!!! I might have some help for the *curly hair in humidity*!

    Baby oil!! (I'm serious!!) You can use any sort of mineral oil, baby oil (I love the scent of Johnson's, so I use that) even essential oil, if you like.

    When your hair is damp, rub a drop or two of whichever oil between your hands, then run it through your hair. Let your hair dry. If you still have that *halo* effect that curls will give you, do another drop or two on your dry hair (just try to avoid hitting your scalp, because for some reason, that makes my hair go Oil Slick City in 1 day)

    I swear to you, baby oil is a miracle product for hair. I never in a million years would have dreamed of putting oil in my hair, but I came across the tip on a hair care forum when I was searching for my own solution to wild, humidity induced frizz out and man, does it ever work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I barely know him, and I was even worried about catdog when I saw the, er, empty bed!

    ReplyDelete