Monday, July 20, 2015

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

It's hard not to spend every minute on this. Watching the design emerge is so endlessly interesting. I'd say it's about halfway there, and every row is still so much fun.

I fired up the dyepot the other day and threw a pair of well-fitting but unpleasantly faded thrift-store jeans in there with some Navy Rit Dye--huge success! It's so easy it feels like I am getting away with something, and now it looks like I have brand-new pants. Seriously, why would I buy anything new?

 

The heat is finally upon us. The Catdog is a heat-seeker of the first order, which is how I know without a doubt she is the dog for me. It was 90 degrees, and she found the one place in the house where it was even hotter than that and then pressed her face up against it. Also, she is a contortionist. See? Catdog.

Also regarding the heat, this is suddenly a lot of wool. Nevertheless, I can't help myself, and I just aim a fan at my legs and deal with it. Catdog and I are on the same page. I enjoy these days so much--a warm wind blowing the curtains; spending an hour in the garden trying to free the stunted tomato plants from the grip of four-foot tall weeds wildflowers, and the deep and utter deliciousness of a cool shower afterwards. Iced coffee. Fresh blueberries. Dozing beneath a tree with an open book over my face. Mmmm, summer. I love you.

9 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed this post. Catdog is hilarious! As for myself, I seek out the coolest room in the house which happens to be in the basement. Love the wooly projects. They're coming along quite nicely.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love the knitting. Catdog is definitely one of a kind. Our husky has learned all the cool spots in the house, especially the ones closest to the tile. I am cold, then hot. Can't make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love the knitting. Catdog is definitely one of a kind. Our husky has learned all the cool spots in the house, especially the ones closest to the tile. I am cold, then hot. Can't make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the Fair Isle - in suspense to see what it's going chrysalise into. I'm so glad we only had a two-day Summer this year. I'm hopeless with the heat. I went to Paris a few years ago in what must have been the hottest July on record and too heatstroke. The next year I went to Portugal, high up in the mountains where there was no air conditioning or pool and guess what, I took heatstroke! I honestly thought they were going to have to bring me back in a box! I felt so ill. Needless to say, I don't venture far when it's hot. I like my own backyard to keep cool in. Nice idea with the dyepot. I never thought about doing that when I see faded jeans in the charity shops. I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your fair isle is gorgeous. your cat dog just cracks me up. my retriever knows all of the cool spots - even as a puppy he would wrap himself around the toliet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been tempted to dye a length of fabric stashed away in the cupboard, and I get a little closer to trying it every time I see you making it work.
    Catdog is very entertaining, watch out she doesn't steal your knitting and wrap up in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Fair Isle is gorgeous, you are a Queen among knitters. I am not taking on a project like that, well in my defense I don't have the brain power to do it. As for heat you can have it, I would give anything for a cool day.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, I think by now you know how much a love playing with color via fair isle knitting. Even in July. Your current project looks beautiful. Keep going, there are endless possibilities.

    Your adorable catdog does seem to have a complete understanding of the month of July. Surely this will lead to great wisdom when August arrives.

    Bravo on the re-tinting of the vintage jeans. Such adventures should be tried by other folks.

    It's just a little bit more bearable temp and humidity wise here in NYC today. Hoping for more easing into a comfort zone tomorrow. My own fair isle project will proceed more quickly if I can work on it for more than an hour at a time.

    Two days' worth of thunderstorm predictions have not resulted in actuall atmosphere cleansing rain. Maybe tonight.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a dip of my jeans. I have used purple and burgundy with huge success. They dye does run out a bit on the first wash though. Some painstaking looking knitting there but I know you like ti that way! Jo x

    ReplyDelete