Monday, July 13, 2015

Philadelphia Girl

As you know, my girl lives in Philadelphia, a city not known for the gentle and the pastoral. It is known for quite a few things, I suppose--Cheez Whiz, mispronouncing "water", violent crime. Philly has a tough reputation, and I've seen Rocky, I had a few ideas about it. When she left home last fall, I wept buckets of nostalgic tears for her now-distant childhood and lay awake at night worrying and imagining all the awful things that could happen to a girl from the country living on her own in the big city. I could not fathom that we had raised her here in the woods and orchards and then waved tearfully from the porch as she drove off with her cat and her anime posters to a life in the concrete jungle. Guess what, though? Philadelphia is great, and my girl is great, too. She walks twenty blocks like it's nothing; she takes the train to Penn's Landing to watch the Independence Day fireworks (what better place to be on July 4 than in Philadelphia?) She drives her car in the city like a fearless ninja, parallel parking like a boss. She visits the zoo, the art museums. She knows where there is a Chipotle. A few weeks ago, she met Pete Wentz in Starbucks. Nothing stops her. She uncomplainingly hiked with me to Chinatown in 90 degree heat for [be still, my heart] soup dumplings, which was six mouthfuls of heaven. The molten interior of a soup dumpling can take the top layer off your tongue, and you are guaranteed to look like a miserable amateur while trying to eat them, but people? They are completely worth the fourteen blocks of walking to get there, and the minor burns sustained while eating. Soup dumplings. Get some.

I am living a lovely life out here in the country with my chickens and my cherry tree and my sunlit garden, but a big city is a wonderful place, too, and maybe it's because that's where she is, but right now, Philadelphia is the wonderfulest. Plus, I knit a whole pair of socks in the car on the way there and back. Snap.

28 comments:

  1. I've lived in Philadelphia for quite a few years now, and I think it's pretty great. I'm glad you had a chance to change your mind about it. :-)

    Let me know if you visit again, I'd love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, completely. It is friendly and beautiful. Also, twelve huge pretzels for five bucks! That is brilliant. :)

      Delete
  2. I, too, am from Philly (born and bred). Like any big city it has its problems, but it definitely has its charms, many of them quite unique. It sounds like you were in a great section of the city for sight-seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! The Mutter Museum (delightfully weird) and huge bags of pretzels and how everything I need is right there on Sansome Street, and the incredibly old cobbled streets in the Old City, and (not for nothing) a coffee shop on every corner--Philly is a credit to the nation. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful pic of you and "your girl"!!! Lovely to see you so happy and smiley..... You've got the best of both worlds really, life in the country and then a really good reason to visit the city bright lights when you want to (and the yarn shops, of course)! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you had to make a quick stop at the dental office to get the roof of your mouth checked after the soup dumplings?
    Philly rocks.
    :) m & jb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I was relishing the burns. They were dumpling-flavored. ;)

      Delete
  5. I've only been to Philly twice, but loved it. I believe that wherever your loved ones are, it's a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only changed planes at the airport, never actually visited the city, but I am guessing its the best place on earth now that your daughter lives there. A wonderful photo of the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like the best place on earth now. :)

      Delete
  7. My daughter moved to NJ just across the river from Philly a couple of years ago, and we go to Philly every time I visit. We love Reading Terminal Market! And Yards Brewery! And Longwood Gardens! And so much history! We haven't found any quilt shops in Philly yet, but there are some nice ones not far away in NJ that I hit every time I am there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I haven't been to Yards or Longwood yet--next time. Have you been to Loop on South Street? Excellent yarn shop, I'm told. Also for next time.

      Delete
  8. Kristen, I applaud your championing of your lovely daughter's decision to try the city life. It's grand that you are able to share her happiness.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so grown up now, I feel very proud. :)

      Delete
  9. What an adorable photo of you and your daughter in Philly! Those satchels of Chinatown goodness look delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still haunting my dreams. The best food ever. :)

      Delete
  10. Pretzels? Did you say pretzels? Twice I believe. Now I want PRETZELS. With mustard and salt please.

    Mother/daughter picture: perfect.

    Deb, No. California

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good for your girl! I lived near Philly for about a year in a city called King of Prussia. So much wonderful history in that whole area . Took me months to learn how to spell Schuylkill (River), and the first time I drove in busy downtown traffic through a roundabout I almost wet myself. And yes please to the pretzels and dumplings. A great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't spell it without three tries. Can you pronounce "Schuylkill" like a native? Because that one is haaaaard. :)

      Delete
  12. What a glorious photo of you both, and life changing experience, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just on vacation in Philly last week! Philly is the bomb! I live 50 minutes from NYC but prefer to drive 21/2 hrs to go to Philly instead! Had an awesome time! OMG! Did you go to Reading Terminal Market? I could get used to having one of those by me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just on vacation in Philly last week! Philly is the bomb! I live 50 minutes from NYC but prefer to drive 21/2 hrs to go to Philly instead! Had an awesome time! OMG! Did you go to Reading Terminal Market? I could get used to having one of those by me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading Terminal Market is so huge and overwhelming and fantastic, isn't it? If they don't have it, I don't need it. :)

      Delete
  15. I've been reading your blog for some time now and I just want to let you know I think it just awful you aren't knittin' a pair of socks for me. Just sayin'
    Love your blog thou....even if I don't know how to knit. I tried teaching myself but then I thought why would I add one more craft to be completely obsessed with? However, it seems to work for you. Hmmm...
    Patty.

    ReplyDelete