Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Sock Ramble

I made socks. Wait, that's not the right color...

That's not really right, either; there's no blue in this yarn (Indulgence with Aloe--yum--in Color 110, also known by me as Watermelon Christmas) and I don't know what all that other stuff is doing in the picture [this is a pack of lies: it is a sad attempt at finding other things around the house that match the socks, and then trying to curate a pretty little collection for a nice photo. There is not one thing in this house that matches the socks. They are a freaky anomaly, but I was under the influence of a hex--the Great 70% Off Sale of 2012, actually--this is almost the last of that loot] but it is very soft (hint: it's the aloe) and it didn't pool at all. You would have bought it, too.

In case you're wondering, this yarn is actually fuchsia, cream, tan, forest green, and a minty/limey green, which, now that I'm describing it, seems crazy. And it's great to have a new pair of socks, but it's (finally!) too hot for socks right now. Maybe tomorrow. It's so hot, in fact, that I got distracted by all the unfamiliar sweating and shot about three days' worth of photos with the aspect ratio somehow in the square mode, without noticing at all. Well, there you go. Square photos.

The sock pattern is my usual; 60 stitches worked on US 1 needles, with a gusset heel, although now that I can see how tight they look across my 47-year-old insteps, it seems like it might be time to either change to 64 stitches or else give up bacon. And since I'm actually eating bacon at this exact minute, you can probably guess which way that's going to go.

 

 

21 comments:

  1. The socks are beautiful, the yarn a real delight such unusual colouring but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been thinking I should give up the bacon and one or two other things too but I don't really want to. Nice socks - I can't quite get to grips with knitting socks due to my childhood memories of being made to knit them in school and having a really hard time fiddling with all those sticks at once (yes, I know about the advent of circs but I don't really get on with them either!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola, recién encontré tu blog y me encanta! Los calcetines son muy bonitos y más los colores :D
    Ojalá subas tutorial, yo nunca he tejido calcetines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I think your socks look wonderful. No need for them to "match" anything, They sing their own song very well...with aloe.

    And I thank you so much for reminding me of how long it's been since I've had any ... Bacon. Last winter perhaps? Well, it's almost time for local tomatoes to enter the stage, and so I think I'll be honoring this part of summer with some home made BLT sandwiches.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! But please don't give up bacon just for socks. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blame 10 years of ballet classes for my high insteps. Of course, I can't knit socks, so I will just go right on eating bacon =)

    I love your stripey socks! It's what brought me to your blog originally a whole bunch of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, i'm a newbie to your blog, well ready blogs actually, and already so far (2 postings) i'm hooked. What a lot iv'e been missing out on. I can see many pleasurable reading hours of catching up to be had. I love your socks, they are brilliant and I am very envious of you being able to knit them. I have tried several times but have been unsuccessful. Any hints/tips please would be gratefully received. Oh, by the way - don't give up bacon. A girl needs a little something to get her through the day, apart from coffee, chocolate, cake, knitting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous colours. I like your choice of name for the yarn colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love knit socks during the summer. Your socks are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your socks! How lucky for you that they did not pool - they are beautiful. Knitting socks in the summertime is my way of having my yarn 'relationship' without the excess wool in my lap! Come fall I have new socks to look forward to! I think that you will reach for yours a lot.
    Giving up bacon seems unwise. (lol) Bacon is one of the food wonders in the world. Nothing compares. Except maybe soft shell crab. You could always switch up your sock pattern and go for ribbing all the way - you'd be amazed at how comfy they can be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know for sure that bacon makes ones feet fat! (Maybe only for a little while.............til the next rasher!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty colours - have discovered the joys of sock making recently and it's ridiculously satisfying

    ReplyDelete
  13. See - I said on your post back in June that you should make socks for a 'small project' :-) They look fantastic, and nobody should give us bacon unless it's absolutely necessary...it's one of life's guilty pleasures! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. My 49-year-old rather high insteps mean that I make the gussets in my socks longer, increasing or decreasing stitches every third round instead of every other round (depending on if I'm knitting toe-up or cuff-down). I find it gives me a bit more ease around that part of the foot rather than having to have more stitches on the needles, which I find makes the bit nearer the toes a bit baggy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's some happy looking feet. LOVE the socks. You did good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great colour combo in this wool; inspiration for a scarf or a throw I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't give up bacon you mad woman!! I have the yarn for my first pair of socks so I was in need of a good pair to look at and spur me on. They fit your title well - cozy looking things... Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, don't give up bacon! Cozy socks -- I now know about those since I just (a few days ago) finished knitting my first pair. So proud of myself but i've worn them every day since. Time to put them in the wash, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sp wonderfully done! You are a star as for your knitting talent! What more can I praise? It looks like Watermelon, the designer did a great job! Or the name giver, or both! Where could I buy this wool, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the shop where I bought this has gone out of business, so I guess you'd have to search online for Indulgence, color 110. Good luck! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your help, Kristen!

      Delete