Thursday, August 6, 2015

Cables and Marshmallows and Dogs

Mornings have turned a little chilly, which means work on my annual gray cabled cardigan has begun. I don't know when I got to be so predictable, but August and September is gray or brown cardigan season in my workshop. I have also learned that I get much better results when I make up the pattern myself as I go along than if I follow a published pattern, so that's what I'm doing. There are so many great designs out there, but the finished product just won't fit me as well as it will if I do it my own way. Thus the brown cardigan I worked on earlier in the summer and the pink striped pullover I set aside a few weeks ago in frustration will probably both be unraveled, because life is short and yarn is too pretty to be caught up in a halfway-wearable garment that will probably just live out its days on the shelf in the back of my closet.

I spent some time in the kitchen, too, making marshmallows from scratch, which is time-consuming but not that hard. If you don't mind having a cloud of powdered sugar settling over every surface in your kitchen, you should try it. From-scratch marshmallows go in these sticky and delectable peanut butter marshmallow bars (recipe from this book, similar to this) and I guess you can use marshmallows from a bag, but for this project, a gift for some of my favorite people, that's not how I roll. Soft, fluffy marshmallows covered with peanutbutterscotch? Yes, please. I gave most of these away, but this recipe hasn't seen the last of me.

I try really hard not to annoy you with a trillion very-similar photos of the sleeping catdog, but dang. I just find her so irresistibly cute. She was the superstar of her manners training class, which finished last week and I miss it already. Training with this catdog has been the most fun thing I've done this summer. She focuses on me like a laser beam, does everything I ask for; sit, down, stay, wait, touch. She will not be distracted, and she works like she's doing a degree in Manners at Yale. We take her to the park, and she sniffs around in the wildflowers--milkweed, goldenrod, Queen Anne's Lace--and we amble along, walk ahead, ten, twenty, thirty yards, turn and stop. She stops sniffing, lifts her head, notices that we have gone on without her. I signal her to come back, and she tears toward my open arms, lips and ears flapping, zero to sixty in about 0.25 seconds, and skids to a cartoon stop right next to my leg. Plops into a perfect sit. Grins like a sap. Friends, there aren't enough dog biscuits in all the world for me to give this little girl. She fills my life with fun.

Later at home, this what she does. She curls up like a kitty and tucks her tail and feet up underneath her chin and goes inert. She has a very deep and rich inner life, I think. She composes poetry in her dreams.

 

 

29 comments:

  1. Hope you know the joy it brings me to click on here and find a new post! Love em, every time. So glad you found your little angel.. I'm off the unravel.. Thanks for the nudge. Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty start on your cardigan. The homemade marshmallows look yummy. Aw, she's adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ese cardigan se ve muy interesante, ya quiero verlo terminado. Que linda descansando n.n
    Que tengas bonito casi fin de semana :D
    Saludos desde México

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is lovely that you love your dog and enjoy being with her so much. I bet she relishes and responds to all your love and attention. I am a cat person but I have loved several honorary dogs in my life too. They were/are very special. An old boy doggie with a little grey face has my heart these days and I sometimes get to take him out and be with him a while.
    Sara

    I find the pattern the easy route and doing it myself unfathomable! So I do think you are rather clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww. That dog! That last sentence! Not only has everyone fallen in love with your dog, but you even make a peanut butter marshmallow square that looks like your dog. Such sweetness. I am sending that catdog a hug and head rub from winter at the bottom of the world. It will warm up as it travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love marshmallows but never made any. Always great to pop in. Jo x
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. im never made marshmallows! but it looks fun! those cables are so beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have very sweet and cheerful dog, thanks for pictures of her,greetings from Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm never prepared for August to be chilly... I think it is still summer and should be hot and steamy like July!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nooooo never too many pictures of catdog! I can't afford a pet right now, so seeing others' sweet precious fur-kids fills me with so much joy! She is so adorable and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that doggie! You are definitely her person, and she loves to please you.
    Save me some peanut butter marshmallow bars.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The peanut butter marshmallow look delectable, I wish I lived nearer I would be around like a shot. The little pooch is adorable, there is never too many pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for a Catdog parting shot with each post =) She's a sweetheart =)

    Have fun with your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, I too am perfectly happy to be inundated with pictures of the catdog, because she is gorgeousness in dog form.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to think that our dog has a deep and rich inner life, I suspect that she dreams up new meaty recipes and tries to communicate them via telepathy every time I open the fridge!! We used to have a ginger tom, Jasper who wrote poetry to the love of his life, Tilly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear you on the annual cardigan thing. I've been all about the September Sweater, as I like to call it, except it seem to start earlier and earlier every year - I just get so excited for it! Also? I seem to be wishing away this summer as I am getting eager for my annual trip to Rhinebeck. I am trying to ground myself in summer, though - I spend all year desperate for the warm weather to come, it is a shame to spend the whole thing thinking about October!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hear you on the annual cardigan thing. I've been all about the September Sweater, as I like to call it, except it seem to start earlier and earlier every year - I just get so excited for it! Also? I seem to be wishing away this summer as I am getting eager for my annual trip to Rhinebeck. I am trying to ground myself in summer, though - I spend all year desperate for the warm weather to come, it is a shame to spend the whole thing thinking about October!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristen, wishing for just slightly cooler weather hereabouts...think it would help me pick up the pace on my own current sweater knitting.

    I am impressed that you actually made your own marshmallows as a key ingredient for another delicious looking treat. What a special gift!

    And then there is the adorable GoGo. She is so photogenic! I love the thought of her not only having perfect manners, and being very affectionate, but also being a secret poet.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love your dog. More, please!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can never post to many photos of that gorgeous girl.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think we all want Catdog. We have fallen utterly and fabulously in love. Kisses to her pink nose and more pics please. Sue UK.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I may have said this before, but you are an excellent writer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely knitting, lovely cooking, and I love Catdog... I could take a million photos of my furry boy sleeping too, there is something so cute about a sleeping dog..... dogs make life infinitely more joyful I think.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Olá amiga, estou passando por aqui mais uma vez, desculpa por não deixar comentário na maioria das vezes que te visito, mas dessa vez tenho que confessar que o teu blog está muito bonito, ah, e estou te seguindo há bastante tempo já, beijokas
    Visite meu blog - Tita Carré - Crochet

    ReplyDelete
  25. She's adorable and I, for one, never tire of reading about or seeing photos of her all curled up or otherwise. And I'm so please she has you and you have her -- perfect match; meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's my first visit here. Such lovely photos! It's nice to read about any place where it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A perfect post! We have a new hound who tears about and then flops out. Too little for training classes just yet but in a few weeks I'm sure ours will make out we can't talk dog! Be sure to post more pics. She's lovely. Bex, Shropshire, UK

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the doggy pictures! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the doggy pictures! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete