Monday, August 3, 2015

Renaissance

The Renaissance Festival! I wish I could show you more of this, but phone photography is hit-and-miss. There is so much to see, and all of it is so fantastic. You might have one of these in your neighborhood too, and it's kind of a particular wonderful and weird sort of thing--stiltwalkers, jugglers, jesters, jousting. If you are two adults alone at the Ren Faire, a few things are probably true: you like costumes, fantasy, history, honey mead, magic, and/or comedy swordfighting and bullwhip acts. You probably know at least a little something about the Druids. You can appreciate how pirates and wizards kind of go together. I love guys in kilts tending to babies in strollers, and t-shirts that say "I walked in to Mordor and all I got was this lousy t-shirt". Crafting! It's everywhere. See the guy knitting in the shady glen? That's not just a scarf he's making, either, that's something lacy with a fancy edging. There's all that, and wine slushies, too--wine slushies, what a brilliant invention! It's a good time. We went to the caber toss and kind of became fans of the sport in the first two minutes, getting all knowledgeable about how they score it and everything, thanks to one rough-looking but sweet clansman in a kilt and work boots with an excellent off-color commentary. Summer continues, and it's as hot as it should be, and I am so very happy.

11 comments:

  1. I used to go to this festival all the time when I lived in CNY. Did you ever go to the honey farm nearby? I can't remember exactly where it was but it was close to the festival. They made their own mead there too. It was weird, the mead, but very popular. The place was packed with people buying mead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I love that the guy is knitting in public and doesn't care who sees him. What's up with guys afraid to be seen with needles anyway?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably most don't like the fact that people treat us like circus freaks.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun! We had a big Renaissance festival a couple of months ago but I wasn't able to go because of health reasons. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing, what a great event. Glad to hear you are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun.

    Blackmore's Night, Renaissance Faire

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hki_FEBUwTg

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have one like that, but in October. I can't imagine those poor folks dressed up in layers like that in the summer! But they sure are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time I heard of one of these was when my 15 yo daughter (at the time) attended one with her school band. She LOVED it, but commented, "Mom, I've seen more bosoms than I ever care to see again." She said this with such a straight face! I laughed!!!!

    My fav part is the jousting. Knightly types on the BIGGEST horses you will ever see running full tilt at each other....oh my.

    Deb, No CA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always thought these Renaissance Faires looked like lots of fun, a real giggle. I used to know some actors who always participated in costumes, playing various roles every year. Yet somehow, I never actually attended any Faire. Someday....

    Your report was excellent, Kristen. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a local girl who travels the World to attend these Festivals. She's just been to Chicago with her Renactment Group (battles, mostly) and she dresses up in the most fantastic costumes amd glorious hats. She changed her name to 'Alabama', yes, she really did. Must get very hot with all that clobber on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been to a Ren Faire in years. Good times and good people watching!

    ReplyDelete