Thursday, September 24, 2015

On the needles, and the Big 2-5

 

This is on the needles--a stripes in every color pullover, inspired by Kate Davies' Milano, from the pattern and yarn by Carol Sunday. I am using mostly KnitPicks Palette, and all questionable color choices are my own. In fact, I have already ripped this out, back to the beginning, and started over, taking out anything that seems like a primary color and throwing it far away from me. It turns out I really hate the primaries and can't abide them, even when they belong there. It's better this way--I think--maybe best not to look at it too much. I don't know if I can envision wearing it, but it really is so awfully much fun to work on. And so it goes, in plain stockinette, with a semi-interesting striping pattern, which is kind of perfect for knitting without looking while binge-watching Gilmore Girls and/or reading Mutiny on the Bounty--the only book in the library with a broken-enough spine that it would stay open on the table without my having to hold it.

 

Also, there's this [see the accidentally matching coffee mug?] an I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-yet pullover, inspired by the kindly and amazing yarn artist Jill Draper, who I met at the Finger Lakes Fiber Fair last weekend and who made my brain start whirling with colorful ideas. More on this later. And more, too, on the yarn I scored, mercy me. Superlatives fail. I'll say this--handspun Shetland. Okay, now you can enjoy the delicious anticipation.

We had a Big Event here at chez CozyThings--the doc and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, and among other things had an eye-opening time looking back at the old photos. Just when you think you haven't changed that much...

1990:

2015:

Of course, I think he looks handsomer than ever, and he's wise and patient and good and kind and funny and unfailingly cheerful. He's sarcastic, a softie for a 25-cent lemonade stand, an excellent teammate and my constant companion. I am, without a doubt, a complete handful, and honestly, a lesser man would have fled. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

I really love that guy.

 

43 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You both look very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both look gorgeous! To many more happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous jumper....and a gorgeous looking couple! Congratulations, and I hope that you have a fab 25 more years! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings on your 25th anniversary! Love your wedding photo....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, you guys. Happy 25th! The pictures are great, it's fun to look back isn't it?
    The stripe pullover is smashing. You must have a million sweaters :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Congratulations, the photos are fabulous - look at those wedding dress sleeves! Loving the pullover too. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's a lucky man............and you the lucky, happy, wife! Hang on to him......and here's to many, many more happy, wonderful years.
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Wishing you both more happy years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations & best wishes for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 25th anniversary! The pictures are wonderful and I think you both have the look of a couple still in love. Beautiful! We just celebrated 37 on Sept. 1 and also feel that I got the better end of the deal. I still love husband madly and completely. :-) Great looking projects too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. You both looks so so happy. Congratulations! I also like your pullover, the stripes are lovely. I would wear it anytime. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary. Your wedding regalia made a very beautiful bride indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many congratulations, you both look radiant. I love those stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful couple, then and now! I like to look at the aging on us as a beautiful patina that completely makes all the difference in our value!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!

    I enter the 25-year club next month. Where did that time go?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You two are even more beautiful together now than you were 25 years ago. Well done! Happy Anniversary.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! You both look stellar, then and now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is handsome, indeed, and you look gorgeous. Congratulations for the 25 years of mutual patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vis a vis the last few words under the last (lovely 'aah' sort of photo) - and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy happy anniversary! You look like you're just as much in love as ever, and that's a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are wonderful and your guy is fantastic! all my compliments
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! You have both become more handsome/beautiful with age!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations - you are a lovely couple. I am making Carol's striped pullover too! It's my fall project.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations and here's to another 25 years. I love the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I discovered your blog earlier this year and enjoy seeing what projects you are working on. My hubby and I celebrated our 25th last month. I loved how you expressed this: " I am, without a doubt, a complete handful, and honestly, a lesser man would have fled." :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Anniversary and congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations! And may you have many more x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy anniversary - what a beautiful couple you make. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahh, congratulations, here's to the next 25 years. My mum used to knit and read (hardback books from the local library). I can't even knit and watch TV. I can just about manage the radio and knitting if it's going well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on your 25th!!!! September 1990 for us was an amazing month. My nephew Sandy Matthews (Dave's son) and Jackie were married two weeks before your wedding. In between the weddings we and Dad and Ada Mae went on an epic road trip - Vermont, Maine, Boston, Cape Cod, Niagara Falls; and celebrated both our birthdays with family. Getting out our photo album to be reminded of that month was amazing. Those were the days of printed photos and albums! Best wishes for another 25!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was a busy month! Your road trip sounds wonderful--I'm so glad you got to do that. xoxo

      Delete
  31. Congratulations, a lot of next years together and in good health, Best wishes for very long time, greetings frm ann

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Anniversary and here is to many more to come! You two look gorgeous and happy!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  33. Many congrats to you both! You're a stunning couple (and your hair looks glorious as ever!) and your heartfelt words are lovely. We're celebrating our big 2-5 next year and I'm still besotted with my gorgeous fella too .... aren't we lucky?!

    Gorgeous colourful knits too :)

    Kerry in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your knit, gorgeous, gorgeous stripes. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations! What a wonderful achievement x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy anniversary to a stunning couple!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations!! You are both totally cool. I wish more men over here would wear kilts - given that they are a UK thing. The scots do wear them but only on special occasions and the English just don't dare!

    Lots of love, Gill in London

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are both just beautiful and blessed and happy, what more can anyone ever ask for?? Congratulations!! on your 25th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are both just beautiful and blessed and happy, what more can anyone ever ask for?? Congratulations!! on your 25th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete