Friday, October 16, 2015

Milano-ish

 

The madness of fall sweater knitting is fully upon me. Here's another one, finished, which makes four so far this year, and I haven't worn any of them yet, because it has been just so relentlessly nice outside, and I do appreciate that, really I do. Somehow, it hasn't made me stop knitting sweaters. I'm ready to start another. Madness. So, they pile up. I do have a lot of handknit sweaters (the more I look at that word, sweater, the more I hate it; sweater. Sweater. Yuck.) but I have a strategy for managing them. If I love it a lot because it fits well and makes me feel good when I put it on, I wear it into the ground, until it's full of holes and falling apart. I love it when that happens. If I like it right now, I wear it for awhile, a few seasons or maybe years, and then either donate it or unravel it, to stash the yarn for another day. If I don't like it at all (this happens a surprising lot of the time, because I am known to make things just for the sake of making them, and I am unapologetic about that) I sometimes throw it on the fire. Okay, I only did that once. Usually, I donate my handknits when I lose interest in them, or take them apart to recycle the yarn.

I am not about to stop knitting sweaters (urgh...) any time soon, so that's my solution. Pass them on, or recycle. The closet is bulging with clothes I actually love already, so it's not like I don't have anything to wear. I like to knit. There. So, this striped pullover (oh, that's so much better) which I LOVED knitting, is probably not going to be worn into tatters. It is a little too big. Sad face! It feels like it might do for a weekend layering piece for awhile. I considered felting it, and I still might do that, if I get to feeling reckless. A good, solid felting might be just what this thing needs to be perfect...ack, it's scary, though. There's no control over how it shrinks, and I'm likely to end up with something short and wide, strangling at the neck, with no salvaging other than to cut it up into potholders. I happen to know that this yarn--KnitPicks Palette, mostly--is just dying to felt. It wants to felt with a barely-concealed longing. Palette is not a yarn that will forgive that one mistaken trip through the wash, oh no. Felting will be a huge leap into the unknown. We'll see how I feel about it after awhile.

I love Palette, though. It comes in a huge array of colors, with wonderfully evocative names: Lichen, Mermaid, Fedora. The color-namer at KnitPicks is brilliant. What colors did I use? Oh dear, I knew you were going to ask me that...I tried, really I did. I made a little sample card and everything, but then I ripped out the first version of this project and started over with different colors, and it became slightly less organized. Okay, let's see: I know I used Pumice Heather, Mauve, Lichen, Sagebrush, Turmeric, Seafaring, Blossom Heather, Urchin, and Almond. (Aren't those great names? Urchin!!!) At that point, I stash-dove for other things that were leftover and label-less, but I know there was Green Tea, Wallaby, Oregon Coast Heather, and Mineral Heather, and then also Mist and Navy from Jamieson's, too. That might be all of it...I really don't know why it's such a challenge to keep track of these things. Anyway. Palette is a fingering-weight yarn, so this pullover is an EPS garment, and was worked on US 3 needles, in a stripe sequence inspired by Kate Davies' yoke-construction version of Milano by Carol Sunday. All crazy and ill-advised color choices here are my own.

There really won't be a whole new finished sweater (bleah...) here every week. I don't think.

37 comments:

  1. I love the colours that you used and the names are fabulous! I agree with you...sweater!! Pullover, jumper, cardigan all sound much better :) You really are an excellent knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful and a wonderful choice of colors to brighten up a dark and dreary winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't felt it! My daughter or husband (it wasn't me that's for sure) accidentally felted a palette blanket I made and it shrunk alarmingly. It went from a good sized blanket to a largeish pillow and turned from a fabric with nice drape to something very dense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe it would make a nice felted childrens jumper?

      Delete
  4. Also, forgot to say I love your pullover. I think the colors used are marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It amazes me all the pretty things knitters can do. I'm a beginner knitter and I think I have a long way to go. But your work is inspiring. :)
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colour palette for that beautiful, sweater/jumper is amazing a real feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how pretty and sad that you aren't just totally in love with it! I have not done any big striping projects...it kind of scares me. Knitting a sweater for myself has been on my bucket list for about 3 years and I just never seem to bring myself to do it. Then, this past winter, I realized why. Seattle's climate has changed a bit the past several years, and we just have not been getting cold enough weather to warrant a wool sweater--that plus my age makes me warm a lot of the time! (When did THAT happen?) But what I do need are scarfs, shawls, shawlettes to keep the chill off, but to not overheat me. I even have a couple of poncho type patterns it the queue for this year--I guess they are kind of like a sweater! Anyway--get any joy you can out of your beautiful sweater before you do anything drastic!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's lovely with all those colors! But don't felt it. Just use it when you need to do layering with another shirt. Felting makes me very nervous, especially with sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, This jumper is totally cool xx

    Luv Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, This jumper is totally cool xx

    Luv Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great, love all the colours. Perhaps if the fit isn't right you could try steeking it and turning it into a cardigan? Would be a shame to waste all that knitting time

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would be interesting to see it felted if you go for it. I think it's fab xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful! Love all the different colors together - they are all so different, yet totally go together in the end!
    I would be interested to see this felted up, but not sure if the shrink-risk would be worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out beautifully! I am impressed with your speed! And I admire your color selections. I am on the bottom rib. Good Lord woman, do you sleep?!!! It's very curious how the knitting urge increases so dramatically when the weather changes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a beautiful stripey colorful sweater that you've made. Wear it with a smile, and notice how its colors encourage others to join you in smiling. Autumn joy!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Call it a jumper like the British gals do =)

    Your jumper is GORGEOUS!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Steeking it is a brilliant idea and it will no longer be a sweater but a comfy cardigan!
    It might also be great felted and turned into a fabulous pillow/cushion!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the knitpicks yarns too, they look so soft, but are quite expensive. I'd like to knit myself a small something, but the colours are so tempting, I don't know which to choose, even if I knew what to knit other than a scarf..yawn... or socks.. yawn again. Bored with the usual stuff. But whereas you love to knit sweaters, because I look like a badly upholstered sofa in anything handknit and remotely bulky, I love to knit blankets in mad colours and patterns. Each to his own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. well done!
    the colours go together beautifully!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would wear that to pieces even it was big and baggy. I think it is great and is my kind of knit: using up bits as you go along makes me very happy too. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohh I just love all those stripes!! wish I lived closer to you then I could buy all your 'no-longer loved' knits (as they all look fantastic).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super cute! I love working with palette too, cost-wise and on the fingers it is very nice for both knit and crochet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it, and I think that one will be worn into the ground. I knit so many sweaters, many that do not fit just right yet I keep at it because I simply can't stop. The same with shawls, I have so many in my closet, I rarely wear them at all but I just love to make them. I am not apologizing to anyone.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the striped sweater, but I get what you mean about it not being a wardrobe staple. My staples tend to be solid colors. So enjoy it for a year and then felt it and use the fabric to make an adorable coat for your lovely dog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jumper? Winter woollen? Preferable to sweater?

    And I love the stripes

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the neckline on yours more than the Milano. Colours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't like the word 'sweater' either - it's just so. . . sweaty! Luckily, here in Blighty we call them jumpers (or even woolly jumpers, if they're knitted), so that's a relief!

    It was a favourite joke as a child - what do you get if you cross a sheep with a kangaroo? A woolly jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  28. For today foggy day - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Finally I'm catching up a bit with everybody.

    I'm bowled over by all the lovely knits you've completed lately, especially the divine cabled cardigan. You must spend hours and hours each week knitting, or maybe you just knit a great deal faster than I can.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OH that's lovely! I love the colours!! and the stripes!! I'm sorry that you feel it's a bit too big. Scary thought - felting it though! Popping in as part of my blog comment challenge 300 in 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We say 'jersey' (for any kind of 'sweater').

    ReplyDelete