Monday, November 16, 2015

Big

This big, exciting, gray-and-cream-striped blanket in garter stitch (snore) is still growing. I feel like I make progress, and then it turns out that nope, I haven't, because hours and hours of knitting have gone by and I am still working on this same blanket, still toiling at the same cream stripe I was working on when dirt was invented. This came with me on a long road trip, and it was wonderfully warm on my lap in the car, although it is really too big to be a traveling project and I had to clamber out from underneath it, sweating, every time we had to stop, and I totally thought that progress would be made during all those confined hours with nothing to do but knit, but it is not noticeably bigger in any way. It must be bigger! It must! I knit all the way home! Through that traffic jam in Cleveland! Over this bridge and that one and the other one too! I knit after dark, by the glow of the dashboard lights. I was committed, people. How is this thing still on the needles? News flash: blankets are big.

11 comments:

  1. It's confirmed - I am a total chicken - I would NEVER knit a blanket, that is what crochet is for! It must be bigger surely!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridges ... Did you drive through Pittsburgh??!! Your blanket is going to gorgeously cozy when it is done. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on knitting, Kristen. Just think of all the places that blanket will have been!

    I used to always buy yarn for new sweaters in London, and begin knitting them on board my return flight. Fun to think of some of my still favorite pullovers having been partially created over the Atlantic.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband tells me daily how much he and our cat love napping with the big knit blanket. Be encouraged, knit on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket is looking beautiful Kristen! I'm knitting a scarf that barely grew 1" while watching an entire movie last night. This blanket has a lot of movies in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living vicariously through Blanket-Knitters is the only way for me. I really love your garter stitch piece and wish that I had the courage and fidelity to knit such a treasure. But I'm fickle and better suited to smaller knitted projects.
    it's always so wonderful to see what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I have knit a few blankets, but I must confess that blankets around here are usually crocheted. So much faster. My hat is off to you for persisting with this beauty.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How serendipitious your blog post title is, I've just been watching 'Big' the film withTom Hanks! There was an interesting discussion going on at someone else's blog about the correct grammatical term for the past tense of 'knit'. I've always used 'I knitted that'. Discuss. I love your 'Big' blankie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't give up, it is gorgeous a real delight and worth all the effort when you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just think how cozy it will be to cuddle under this blanket over the winter. I just started crocheting an afghan - I'm sure it will go fast once I put my mind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just keep in my mind how warm and cozy it will be once it is finished just in time for winter :0) knit on! :-)

    ReplyDelete