Monday, November 9, 2015

Light

 

I'm so interested in the light right now. Here at the end of the year, the sun is so low in the southern sky that it seems to come in sideways, and it makes dramatic patterns everywhere. It bathes the catdog in a spotlight. She sat there just like that, without flicking an ear, for several long minutes while first I marveled at the interesting composition, then went to get the camera, fiddled with the settings, clicked away. Still as a stone. What a pro.

 

I really am enjoying this darkening season. I'm taking the doc's advice, and trying to appreciate its weird and desperate beauty. In any other year, these skeletal trees, black against that threatening sky, would have made my heart plunge, but not this year. It is good medicine, this trying stuff.

I started a sock, knit all the way to the heel flap, blissfully unmindful of the fact that it was turning out as dense and sturdy as a bulletproof vest. Since socks don't need to stand up on their own, I unraveled it all the way back to the beginning. Happily, I love to knit, and socks are right up there among the most fun things of all to knit. Onward.

 

In the face of that, I betook myself to my happy place (coffee solves a lot of my problems) and brought some Malabrigo with me. Oh Malabrigo! I am moved practically to poetry by that yarn. It has light in it, too, somehow, spun right in.

17 comments:

  1. Love the first picture and of course the light on the dog.....great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of it as nature having a much needed rest on the surface, while building strength back up underground. Just a few short months and then the most joyous of seasons - spring will be popping its head up once more. The little hopeful buds and blossoms always fill me with such delight and renewed optimism. The price is just a few months of contemplative peace and stillness. Good for us and good for plant life. A chance to be cozy too. Cozy is never to be underestimated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post and photos. A friend used to call this time of the year "long shadows time," but I prefer your term of "cozy light."

    May your day be filled with light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. Yarn can work wonders on us, can it not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winters dark days can get depressing for some. I used to get the blues, but have learned to surround myself in colour with my knitting, drawing and other crafts. It makes the day a bit brighter. I just can't seem to get over the rainy days tho'. The dogs don't like it but I don't like it even more. The trees with the leaves changing colour are breathtaking, the sunsets are amazing. I try and remember that when I am feeling down.
    Thanks for sharing those lovely picture, I especially love the one of your beautiful dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hee hee. When I first looked at the picture of you in your happy place, it looked like a paint store! I thought, "Well, everybody's happy place is different, I guess!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart is plunging this year. Normally it doesn't bother me but right now, it's turning me into a crabby old woman! Copious amounts of chocolate helps. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps I love Malabrigo too. I'm saving mine for next March when I will be attending a workshop given by Miss Woolly Wormhead at the Edinburgh Yarn Festival. Well, I had to do something to cheer myself up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always love your photos and especially the ones with that photogenic catdog, doing her thing. I crochet my socks, and yes, they stand up on their own and any stray bullets as well, otherwise, they're too lacy and let toes and heat escape. Lol. You make me swear to learn to knit.. Thanks for sharing. Sending you some light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty photo's. I don't enjoy this time of year either and I'm trying to not let it get me down. That yarn is gogeous.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That light, that dog, that yarn. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen, I completely agree with you about the joys of using Malabrigo yarns. The colors and textures are sublime.

    Little Miss GoGo is quite stunning in that autumn light. What a marvelous photograph!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if you are a Libra - as often you and I are travelling the same creative path. I have been fascinated with the light this past week - trying to find the beauty, trying to dispel the heaviness that November often brings. And sock knitting! And our striped sweater. The catdog has a 'twin' in my new pug puppy - a little sprite who has discovered that the old vents in our farmhouse blow hot air!!! Imagine - one can warm one's butt by sitting over the grating.
    Malibrigo is divine. I love the colors in what you are knitting. I am waiting to see you return to your quilt ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Though I am a Taurus, it sounds like we are cut from the same cloth, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture of Cat Dog. It looks like he's saying "Well, are you coming up?" I had a Dog Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too am trying with the whole winter thing! Love your yarn. Might be the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Kristen, is that a blanket or a shawl you're working on? May I ask what color yarn, its beautiful. Your dog is just wonderful, must bring you much joy. You lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete