Monday, November 2, 2015

Rhapsody

 

I am out of love with my sewing machine right now, for no good reason. Cords, noise, machinery, maybe. The simplicity of a needle and thread has so much more appeal. I can't stand anything that requires too much fussing, or even a little bit of fussing. So it's back to these little 1 1/2" squares, stitched together by hand; slow slow slow. Lovely. Honestly, there is so much peace in this kind of work. You all know what I mean.

 

Marianne and I were talking about kitchen decor. I said, "I'll tell you what I love, and I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody in some book has decorated their kitchen like a doctor's office, with metal cabinets and a dang examining table to sit at for breakfast, but on one wall is an enormous mural photograph of Freddie Mercury doing a backbend." I still think about that because it amazed me; Freddie in white, head thrown back and wailing into a microphone, exploding with star quality, ten feet tall and sweating, as wallpaper in someone's medical-theme kitchen. Honestly, I know nothing about design. Nothing! It must have been in a borrowed book, or I would have torn out the page and pinned it to my wall. If any of ya'll remember that doctor's office kitchen photo, tell me where I saw it, will you? Anyway, Marianne, who is a total rockstar, said, "That's from Queen: Live at Wembley Stadium. I have it at home. Wanna borrow it?" Not only did she know the photo I referred to, but she had it at her fingertips. Friends like that, am I right? Anyway, my weekend viewing of Queen: Live at Wembley Stadium has led to a renewed adoration of Freddie Mercury and of Brian May's lovely curly hair, and to me slightly injuring my neck in a kitchen-dancing Bohemian Rhapsody rhapsody. That song, manoman. The rest of them, too. So great. Also, there's been Hemingway, who I left behind a long time ago, but who bubbled up again circuitously via a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson, and then Patti Smith's new book M Train. Hemingway would hate all the extra words I use. So much culture, people. I am swimming in it.

Home as laboratory. I read that somewhere else [I can't remember things] and it made me feel better about my habit of changing, adding, editing all my furniture, curtains, and stuff all the time. You guys, I know people who leave their rooms alone! I know! They pick a wall color and put their stuff down, and there it all stays, for years and years. I'm serious. I don't even get that for one second. I spend a lot of happy energy kind of rearranging all my stuff, finding a new little thrifty treasure or making new pillow covers, getting rid of what I don't love anymore. I feel with every change and shift that I am getting closer and closer. To something.

Relentlessly good weather these days, that sky! The golden trees! The cedar waxwings are back, on their way out of town, to pick at the crabapple fruit. They gather in that tree and it is alive with them, as the leaves flurry down. I knit and knit and knit, in garter stitch, same same same. This blanket grows with a steady tedium, like a metronome. It is heavy in my lap now, a comfort already.

 

26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a lot of cozy little things to keep busy during this wonderful Fall. Love that granny square blanket on the bed! Makes me want to curl up in it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blanket looks so cosy and elegant, a lovely addition to your gorgeous home. Can I ask, what is the yarn for that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool in Oatmeal and Paton's Classic in Winter White. Quantities are still being determined! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kristen, garter stitch ad infinitum is my kinda project!

      Delete
  3. Aah, so glad you're a Queen fan. Should have known you would be! I was at Freddie's very last concert, at Knebworth, which is very near where we live. Can't remember the year off the top of my head, but SO glad to have seen him, in the flesh! Love the fabric. Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August, 1986! Jen, I just went AAAAAHHHH! You lucky girl. :)

      Delete
  4. And those weeny teeny squares......will they be 9 patches? BTW I'm Mona from Fl. if you're wondering! I'm hand piecing too....loving each moment..............love your blanket in progress............so soothing.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, hi Mona! They're in looooong strips right now, not patches. Many more strips to go. :)

      Delete
  5. 40 years ago since Bohemian Rhapsody was released. My ex-brother-in-law used to blame his divorce on his ex-wife's passion for Freddie Mercury. You couldn't make it up! I told my eldest son that I'd like Bohemian Rhapsody played at my funeral. He said 'More like Fat-Bottomed Girls', another Queen favourite! Well, they do make the rockin' world go round, after all. Good Week to ya, Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love them so much for "Fat-Bottomed Girls". Speaking as a fat-bottomed girl, that song makes me feel proud. Thank you, boys. :) Sounds like there will be some rocking out at your wake, many years hence. xoxo

      Delete
  6. I also love Queen and Freddy's voice! Gone way too soon:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog about a year ago and started on a frenzy of quilt-making, crochet and knitting. This Autumn I've started embroidering with my mother's silk thread on my grandmother's linen (sort of following Alicia's Daisychain ABC sampler) and I know what I'm going to be listening to when I sit down at 4 o'clock this afternoon to sew. Love all your cosy interior shots. You are an inspiration Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your legacy stitching (silk on linen! yum!) sounds perfect. I'm so glad you're enjoying! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm afraid I don't have the patience for much hand-sewing - give me a sewing machine please! Good to know that you are a Queen fan. I have been a crocheter for about 6 years now and your Granny Square blanket is the bomb; I'm learning how to knit (Continental Style) now and that blanket is looking really nice. Thanks for filling us in on what yarn you used. Unfortunately, Michael's has stopped carrying Lion Brand's Fishermen Wool so I will have to look elsewhere. Thanks for a wonderful blog and your excellent photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth between the hand-sewing (calm, ahhh) and the machine (git er done!) You could use any basic worsted-weight wool for this blanket project--Paton's Classic has "Natural Mix" which is also a nice oaty/taupe-y color.

      Delete
  9. Oooooh I can SEE that kitchen!! That photo would totally work here, where we eat at the vintage office table from a police station, and there's a hospital bedside cabinet next to the kitchen island, and crockery and paperwork is stored in the more police cabinets. Did I mention the kitchen island was a shop counter a looooong time ago??
    I totally get your house. And I love that granny square blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE. Police cabinets! Stel, that's awesome.

      Delete
  10. The day I found the sheet music for Bohemian Rhapsody I thought I would die! It really is more like a small book than sheet music! Queen is amazing and I think it will always be listened to, as I know that some of my grandkids listen to it :) I cannot imagine leaving a room and its furnishings in the same place! Seriously, that really happens?? Not for me!! I am forever moving stuff around. I think it drives my girls round the bend, but it's my home and I will move it if I so feel the urge! They no longer live here, except for the 16 year old and she does her own thing in her room, which entails moving stuff around all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many ways to express yourself, and shifting stuff around is one of my favorites. And please tell me you've learned to play the Bo Rha from the sheet music! I'll be around at seven for your recital... :)

      Delete
  11. As far as changing things all the time from a physiological stand point and from my own experience. Someone who changes things all the time is restless within themselves personally its happens with all of us. Contentment comes when one is happy with themselves first. I use to change things a lot and when I hit my late fifties it all changed. I become happy with myself and my surroundings. I no longer need to change anything. I would rather create keepsakes for my family and friends, then worry about decorating. It does happen with age and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ah, Mr. Ferocious! Well, we're doing our best, dear." --Freddie Mercury

      Delete
  12. Mine is a different colour palette but my post starts almost the same as yours today - pop over and see. I am hand sewing eight pointed stars - you know, cos I can and I want to! Love reading your musings, can I let you know, shhhh you are my favourite one to read! Jo xxx
    http://joeveryday19@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely stars, Jo! And *blush* thank you so much! xoxo

      Delete
  13. I have cut squares out of fabric scraps, but never felt inspired to get my sewing machine out to sew them together ... I'll try that hand-stitching method - it'll probably induce me to put down yarn and needles, and pick up thread and needle instead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you are enjoying the weather and having fun with your crafts... You are so talented and can always amaze me with what you can make.
    Love your knitted blanket., I really enjoy the therapeutic rythm of garter stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE to rearrange my rooms, buy new stuff to hang on the wall, new curtains, move the sofa here, will the chair fit there. I remember the hubs coming in from a late shift one night and fell over the back of the sofa, 'cause I'd rearranged the room that evening. Then I got the RA and can't do that anymmore. You are very lucky, I wish I still could. So I'm one of those unfortunate people, I've been looking at the same arrangement for 10 years, and its making me crazy. But now that I have two new DIL's (evil grin), It might just get done.

    ReplyDelete