Monday, December 14, 2015

Charms and Layers

 

Trending: Long chains, decked out with charms. Also, layering. The doctor said, "I know what you're doing there. You're layering your jewelry." If even he knows it's called layering, then it's a thing, ya'll. This appeals to me, all the charms and layers. It reminds me of my high school BFF, who has already done everything cool, way before anybody else even thought of it--she was layering and charming back in 1986, wearing all her jewelry all at once, even in gym class, letting it get all tangled up; she had moxie, let me tell you.

So last night I got out the beads and the pliers and the wire and the jump rings and with much squinting in the darkness [we are turning on the lamps at 12:30 here right now. Mr. Golden Sun, pleeeease shine down on me?] and spent an hour making all these. I used two gray pearls, a couple mother-of-pearl things, and that teardrop-shaped gem at the bottom, which may or may not be a Labradorite--Ethel, who is my handy gemstone expert, was not sure. It is gray-green, with black flecks and flashes of iridescence. It looks like something that might have magical properties.

It looks moody, like the sky outside the window. Trying to light up, a little bit, but ultimately gray and murky.

Don't you love it when things turn out just like you hoped they would, and you have all the right materials and you can even find them all without an extensive search, and nothing breaks or fails or anything? When it all hangs together just right, on the first try, which almost never happens? Oh, how I love that.

 

 

15 comments:

  1. Well done, it really does look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dabble in the jewellery myself and I have not made a long chain yet. This looks lovely and classy. Love your blog!
    Best of the season to you and yours.
    Victoria, BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen!
    Genius! It looks well put together! Love it!!!
    (Also admiring your fancy striped pelted hat, wow!!)
    I really like your approach to making stuff!
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh yes yes, I can never get jump rings to close without bits dropping off so hooray to you! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! The layers look lovely worn with your nice cashmere sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I LoVe this! So pretty and on the sweater...perfection!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, I do love things turning out well...is that what's called serendipity? Whatever it's called, it's great and so are your necklaces. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful!
    yes, i like it when things turn out too! which rarely happens either!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This jewelry looks so tender. This one is very special and delicate and other way it can suit to your everyday look. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did some beading myself recently, I forgot how fun and fast it is. Love the necklaces.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. pretty! I didn't know about this trend at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty (and yes, isn't it nice when things turn out just like you imagined them in your head)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They all look lovely together. As my daughter says - you are "on trend". I say you nailed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have taught myself to bead from the internet,love it.Your creations are beautiful.xx

    ReplyDelete