Sunday, December 27, 2015

Holiday

 

Secret knitting! I don't know how other people do this. He's always with me, which is exactly how I want to spend my days, but it means anything I knit for him has to be done frantically, on the sly, in the car in the parking lot at Starbucks. I don't mind it, and I love to knit for him, especially when he's going to look so good in the finished garment--dang, he's handsome:

...and this is a particularly good pattern, too. This is Brownstone, by Jared at Brooklyn Tweed. If you're knitting for a man and you want something well-fitted and stylish and manly, you really can't go wrong with BT. I made it without modifications, in Brown Heather Fisherman's Wool, purchased in a last-ditch panic as they were practically locking the door behind me at the yarn shop. The holiday knitting always sneaks up on me, I'm not sure why. It's not like I don't know which day it happens every year.

My beautiful daughter and handsome son and lovely mama all made their separate ways to me here in NY, and we got out all the cameras, because I realized recently that there were literally no photos at all of the four of us--the girl, the boy, the doc and me--in existence anywhere, other than the selfie we took with somebody's phone the day we took the girl to Hogwarts in 2009, and she was making fish lips in that one, and we were all crying and soggy-faced in it. We tried a bunch of different poses, stood over here beside that thing, and over there next to that shrubbery, and smiled and it was weird, until we just went ahead and took a family selfie, and suddenly everyone became themselves. We can't be serious around here. It is not our way.

Christmas Eve was warm and beautiful, and the sky turned pink and magic around the almost-full moon.

 
We lit candles and made egg nog and watched Elf and talked late into the starry night. I wish you all peace and love and joy. Thank you for being here with me. It means more than I can say. xoxo

23 comments:

  1. hello kristen...enjoy your posts and your knitting and personal adventures...glad your little puppy has recovered after his adventure...a lovely and handsome family...glad tidings to you and joy, health and peace in the new year...take care...saly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you all look alike. You look like your husband and your children look like you both. I have thought that before - husbands and wives often do. All of you are very handsome, so a lovely photo of you all together. Your knitting is beautiful as ever.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you! Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas Eve. I do not comment as much as I should, but I adore your blog and all your creative endeavors! Best wishes for a wonderful 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, your family is beautifully non serious! I love your photos, have a great new year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful family. You & your mama look like sisters! Good genes in your family for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful pic of you all! Merry Christmas and may 2016 bring you joy and peace and the very loveliest of loveliness... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas, everyone home together. The husband sweater is as usual- a beautiful knit. Great pictures too, including the birds in the tree, cardinals?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your days were merry! Thank you for sharing them here with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing, enjoy this sweet time x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all look fab and happy. Christmas wishes from across the pond - we were in Greenwich, London, England, today which looks very like a real-life Harry Potter location - you can go to Greenwich park and wander around in the grounds where Elizabeth I used to wander x Gill

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a wonderful family. Happy Holidays.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a fantastic sweater! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog this year at last (courtesy of Pinterest, of all things). Now what took me so long? Your distinctive voice is a pleasure to "hear" and your sense of color is always a delight. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your mother and daughter are peas in a pod, and your son so like his father! Amazing. Beautiful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful/handsome looking lot you are! Happy 2016 to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you all are as excellent and good looking as the momma's knitting, and she CAN knit! Loved seeing this family portrait even tho cat dog was not included! The happiest and healthiest new year to all. Tell your mother that she is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy new Year! All the very best for you and your charming family. Always a pleasure to visit your blog. (Linda)

    ReplyDelete
  18. yeah! I know the feeling, we have NO family portraits either. The Admiral and I drove all the way to San Antonio, Texas (10 hours in the car,ugh!) to spend Christmas with son #1, at his house, with his fiance'. His very own house! and not only that, for a Christmas present, he even sent us the money to travel on! I know!! and it gets better :), while I was there, I went to an actual-for-real Vera Bradley store (and paid $60 for a wallet, but the Admiral doesn't need to know that)!! *sigh* what a great Christmas, even though I came home with the crud, it was so special!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Beautiful people beautiful post. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your family photograph! What a good looking lot you are.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's so much in these words: "He's always with me, which is exactly how I want to spend my days"...
    I wish you happiness, all of you, so lovely you are!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks a lot admin on your information and sorry permission share
    cara paling jitu menghilangkan keloid bekas luka

    ReplyDelete