Friday, January 8, 2016

Quiet

 

January. Those end of the year holidays are such a fulsome thing, with houseguests and piles of food and friends and there is much joy, and the stress of keeping all the gifty secrets half kills me every year, because I am an open book and the doc is a very, very clever man who knows everything before I do, and trying to stay ahead of him in the surprise game is a losing battle. He tells me he was surprised, but it wouldn't be beyond him to say so, just to make me feel good. So January always feels like a reset button, and I am inclined to lie down for awhile when it gets here. There was actual sunshine this morning, streaming through my window, and I spent a long time being lazy there in it, waking and dozing again, under the warm, rumply quilts.

Winter is being so kind to me this year, and I can't even express my relief. The sky this morning was pink.

I started this hodgepodge triangular scarf thing a few weeks ago, using my four precious skeins of Shelter from Loop in Philadelphia, and was into the edging at the end of the whole thing when I decided I didn't like it very much and unraveled it. This lofty, fluffy, rustic yarn is so nice, but it didn't want to be this.

This project been consuming most of my quiet day--it is the Nenna Cardigan by Christina Korber-Reith, in Berroco Vintage DK, "Elderberry"; yarn and pattern both chosen by my lovely mama, who asked me if I would knit it for her. Well, of course! I made a pot of coffee, set my Pandora app to Frank Sinatra Radio (he slays me, ya'll) and began decoding the eighteen pages of pattern instructions. Friends, this thing is making me feel like a rookie.

12 comments:

  1. It is so nice to have a few quiet days and just catch up with yourself. Love the elderberry yarn such a stunning colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel much the same way about January as you described. I love my quiet days at home playing with my yarn and just being quiet with my dog at my feet. I love the colors of all of the yarn in your post today. It'll be fun to see what you decide to make with the yarn that was unraveled.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels such an honour when my Mum asks me to make something or is clearly pleased with something I give her. She was always knitting and sewing when I grew up, it's such an honour when my makes are praised.

    I can't imagine anything foxing you for long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiet ... my favorite sound. I can't imagine unraveling that shawl. Looks like you were quite a ways in. I wish my yarn spoke to me. I have a feeling I'm always making it into things it doesn't want to be. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Shelter colors. Good for you that you can unravel and wait for the 'right' project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the shawl/scarf pattern is on Ravelry, could you give us the name? I have a lot of fingering weight yarn looking for a striped shawl and that might be the one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I was just kind of making up as I went--you might try the Boneyard Shawl by Stephen West (free pattern on Ravelry) for something similar. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I will have a look. I'm in awe of those of you who can figure out how to shape any knitted thing you desire. If it isn't rectangular and flat, I need guidance.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy the quiet and calm of January too. I love your yarn colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely colours....gentle knitting...what better way to spend a january day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the first and the second photo :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delight. I suppose if I really think about it, winter is being kind to me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete